• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The case for feminist revolution

Wherenextcolumbus

Currently reading the Dialetic of Sex: the case for feminist revolution-Firestone argues that women are biologically dependant on men via pregnancy and child rearing and the only way to really break free from this dependence, is to develope technology that allows people to have children outside of the female body. She criticises Marx and Engles for not observing that the sex class system forms the basis of all oppression.

"the natural reproductive difference between the sexes led directly to the first division of labour at the origins of class, as well as furnishing the paradigm of caste (discrimination based on biological characteristics.)"

What do you think about Firestone's theory that a significant step towards liberation can be achieved if women could have children outside of their own bodies?

eiskalt

Currently reading the Dialetic of Sex: the case for feminist revolution-Firestone argues that women are biologically dependant on men via pregnancy and child rearing and the only way to really break free from this dependence, is to develope technology that allows people to have children outside of the female body. She criticises Marx and Engles for not observing that the sex class system forms the basis of all oppression.

"the natural reproductive difference between the sexes led directly to the first division of labour at the origins of class, as well as furnishing the paradigm of caste (discrimination based on biological characteristics.)"

What do you think about Firestone's theory that a significant step towards liberation can be achieved if women could have children outside of their own bodies?
This would obviously lead to finally making both sexes equal. It would be even better, if children could be produced in laboratories or factories, so that women dont have to go around bloated for a month.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What is Firestone's reasoning for asserting that the sex class system forms the basis of all oppression?

SpeaksForTheTrees

Liberation for men as woman becomes obsolete ?lol That's a funny way of looking at things
No woman no problem hmmm interesting lol

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Maybe you misunderstood?
How would women become obsolete?

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I'm guessing he thinks, if the technology existed to reproduce outside of the female body, there would be no need of females.

Wherenextcolumbus

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I'm guessing he thinks, if the technology existed to reproduce outside of the female body, there would be no need of females.
So is he then saying males don't have much purpose either because they can't get pregnant or???

SpeaksForTheTrees

Maybe you misunderstood?
How would women become obsolete?

Well is a femenist revolution most weeks at home , everything i ask her to do , she revolts
ask her to tidy behind herself
If women could have children outside of their own bodies ?
I do not like the idea is creepy
Could create whole armies en mass

Is mindset my sister rules her husband mentally and financially

Wherenextcolumbus

Well is a femenist revolution most weeks at home , everything i ask her to do , she revolts
ask her to tidy behind herself
If women could have children outside of their own bodies ?
I do not like the idea is creepy
Could create whole armies en mass

Is mindset my sister rules her husband mentally and financially

Oh kay!
well sorry you have problems in your relationship
:3

eiskalt

erm I think females would still menstruate
we can work at that too. perhaps drink certain pills, which will make the blood turn the colors of the rainbow and it wouldnt be as nasty and people would be happy. perhaps men then too would like to menstruate?

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

If women could have children outside of their own bodies what would that accomplish? I doubt it'd shift the gender-stereotype that women are primarily carers, home-keepers and child-raisers.

Wherenextcolumbus

If women could have children outside of their own bodies what would that accomplish? I doubt it'd shift the gender-stereotype that women are primarily carers, home-keepers and child-raisers.

The idea was that by freeing women of their biology it would help it create androgyny between the sexes and therefore there would no longer be the natural process of pregnancy-child birth-breast feeding that leads to women being the primary care givers. Why should women be the primary caregivers to a child they didn't carry? That along side raising children in an androgynous environment would lead to true equality.
She also writes about the oppression of children and argues that children shouldn't be segregated from the adult world and if they aren't then they won't be as dependant as they are now. She argues the biological family unit should be destroyed and we should create a more community based society.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

Is there a link to any material or summary you'd recommend?