• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Christian god: slave driver or kind shepard ?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't see God as a slave driver. Sure, we all have to work for what we know, what we want, what we need, and so on. If we didn't do it ourselves, we would have no reason at all to live. I'd rather learn things on my own then have knowledge just "emptied" into my head. I value things more if I earn them rather than just have them always handed to me. I am pretty sure that is the same for most of us.
Being a "Good Shepherd" might be misconstrued, even a good shepherd doesn't pick grass for a sheep and hand feed them, he or she has the sheep find their own grass and might guide them towards it. Even a good shepherd doesn't pick up a able-bodied sheep and carry it around, he or she will let it walk on it's own.

Gudrun

Proud Pagan
If he cant end the suffering of the beings he was responsible for creating, he is not powerful enough to be the one true god of everything and our heavenly father. I don't care if he "loves" us. He causes us all to suffer because he couldnt plan well enough. And then acts all high and mighty as if he actually deserves to. He's no more than a pompous idiotic bully.

Brynhild

As for me, when I started getting into the christian faith, I had so much fear of god and it caused horrible mental anguish that lasted for years. So I found a religion that works for me and doesnt cause me such pain. Because of this I want nothing to do with god and I would have to go with slavedriver rather than sheppard.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
As for me, when I started getting into the christian faith, I had so much fear of god and it caused horrible mental anguish that lasted for years. So I found a religion that works for me and doesnt cause me such pain. Because of this I want nothing to do with god and I would have to go with slavedriver rather than sheppard.

One of the gods of the Bible is something to fear.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It's hard for me to understand. Since I became a Christian, I have not had any fear of God whatsoever.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I grew up around the Fire and Brimstone motif...took me awhile to move away from the Fear of God idea.

I think it's because that I became a Christian long before I joined any Church or heard a lot of preachers (I had only heard a couple and they didn't speak of hell or demons or whatever).

FranklinMichaelV.3

I think it's because that I became a Christian long before I joined any Church or heard a lot of preachers (I had only heard a couple and they didn't speak of hell or demons or whatever).

That would do it. It's a lot harder to shake as a child.

It wasn't until I started learning about the attributes that were put into God did I start to really develop an idea of what God may be.

Brynhild

I refuse to worship a god who rules by fear. It's wrong. So many Christians only go along with the faith because they fear punishment and hell. They just go through the motions to escape what they fear.

FranklinMichaelV.3

I refuse to worship a god who rules by fear. It's wrong. So many Christians only go along with the faith because they fear punishment and hell. They just go through the motions to escape what they fear.

Some do.

But not all.

It's a diverse religion, the ones who do fear tend to make the loudest noise.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

While I have to admit there are a few people who follow the faith out of fear, I also know that most of them do not. As has already been pointed out, Christianity is a very diverse type of religion/faith, as are most faiths and religions.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
What I've always failed to understand is why people feel a need to fear God? I was always raised to know that God is loving and good.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
What I've always failed to understand is why people feel a need to fear God? I was always raised to know that God is loving and good.

That's what I thought too lol! God is love, and that is that. No strings attached.