• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Concept of the Trinity

:shout Praise God I can use this forums again. I have been inactive for almost a YEAR now, since I have the time I would start using this forum to the MAX. To sart with I would sate my simple belief Concerning the Trinity, I am a Roman CAtholic since many people outside the Church and Christianity even, don't understand the Trinity doctrine, I would explain it on laymen's term. I wouldn't use Bible verses just simple logic!!! Imagine a simple apple, It is made up of 3 parts, the skin, the seed and the inside part of it (I don't know what it is called). Although it is made up of 3 simple parts it is still an apple. No matter what happens it is an apple. We can compare this to the Trinity, just as the same that the father is not the son, is the same as saying the Skin of the apple is not the seed of the apple, however they are still a part of the Apple. The Apple Represents the MOst Holy Trinity, 3 Persons in 1 Divine Nature, So in other words we only worship one God rather than 3, That is the BIGGEST Mystery of the Christian life, the Mystery of the Trinity

Peace
GBU

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
defense of truth said:
:shout Praise God I can use this forums again. I have been inactive for almost a YEAR now, since I have the time I would start using this forum to the MAX. To sart with I would sate my simple belief Concerning the Trinity, I am a Roman CAtholic since many people outside the Church and Christianity even, don't understand the Trinity doctrine, I would explain it on laymen's term. I wouldn't use Bible verses just simple logic!!! Imagine a simple apple, It is made up of 3 parts, the skin, the seed and the inside part of it (I don't know what it is called). Although it is made up of 3 simple parts it is still an apple. No matter what happens it is an apple. We can compare this to the Trinity, just as the same that the father is not the son, is the same as saying the Skin of the apple is not the seed of the apple, however they are still a part of the Apple. The Apple Represents the MOst Holy Trinity, 3 Persons in 1 Divine Nature, So in other words we only worship one God rather than 3, That is the BIGGEST Mystery of the Christian life, the Mystery of the Trinity

Peace
GBU
Welcome back, Defense! As you may know, I consider myself a non-Trinitarian Christian. I have a question to get us started. Is the skin of the apple "fully apple" on its own? Is Jesus Christ "fully God" on His own?

He is God eternal, nothing more nothing less!!! HOwever it doesn't mean that he himself is the only PERSON in the Trinity, We believe that the Trinity is GOD!!! Jesus Christ is a PErson of the MOst Holy trinity. Well Jesus is GOd and the Father is GOd and the Holy Spirit is God, But they are only 1. THey are 3 PERSONS in 1 GOD!!! Without the skin of the apple there would be an incomplete apple, So if you took away one Person in the TRINITY (which would be immpossible) the concept of a Trinitanial God would fall. The Trinity is God which is made up of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.)(

Peace
GBU

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
I am unsure where you exactly stand on the Trinity.

In your idea of the Trinity, hypothetically, if you removed God the Father and the Holy Ghost, could Jesus fully function as God? Is Jesus Christ his own person?

PHOTOTAKER

why can't they be three different personages that are different but have the same agenda? like a king, knight, and massager, you cannot have one without the other in a kingdom...

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Nice thread Defense of Truth. Personally I have no difficulty with the Trinity. It has always struck me as a perfectly valid view of God. Hang tight if the Muslims get wind of your thread though. (that could get messy.)

may

defense of truth said:
:shoutI wouldn't use Bible verses just simple logic!!!
GBU
many people dismiss the bible , but me as one of Jehovahs witnesses i faithfully stick to the bible and what the bible teaches .
For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life. For God sent forth his Son into the world, not for him to judge the world, but for the world to be saved through him. John 3;16-17 yes Jehovah the one true God psalm 83;18 sent his son to the earth and we are to listen to his son
(Luke 9:35) And a voice came out of the cloud, saying: "This is my Son, the one that has been chosen. Listen to him."................... yes the true God Jehovah and his son Jesus christ are the ones we should take in knowledge about .
This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ. John 17;3 this is true bible teaching . the trinity is a manmade thing , which people make up many stories about. stick to the bible and you will not go wrong .

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
why can't they be three different personages that are different but have the same agenda? like a king, knight, and massager, you cannot have one without the other in a kingdom...

What you are telling me is that there are really Three God beings, yet they act with one accord, so it is sort of like there is One God.

Nice thread Defense of Truth. Personally I have no difficulty with the Trinity. It has always struck me as a perfectly valid view of God. Hang tight if the Muslims get wind of your thread though. (that could get messy.)

Yeah, that logic can be a thought killer. :yes:

dbakerman76

God's Nephew
The trinity is one of those things I just couldnt' accept. If God is one (as even the most die-hard trinitarians will claim). Then why divide him into 3. I think It was developed as a tool to explain the incarnation. They needed to explain how God could be in heaven and here (at a time when heaven was seen as a physical place and not solely a spiritual realm).

Of course since I don't accept the incarnation the trinity would serve no purpose for me.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I am a Trinitarian Christian.

And the concept of the Trinity is one that I didn't understand until recent years, even after being taught in church and elsewhere that the Trinitarian view is the correct view of the Godhead.

It makes complete sense to me now. In fact, I struggle with religion but I'm completely confident in the Trinity.

In my mind, I don't think that anyone else is/was better equipped to teach us how to live for God and abandon our flesh (our worldly ways) for God, than GOD in the flesh. As God IS LOVE...it makes perfect sense to me, that HE would come to us in the flesh as the SON...Christ Jesus. After all, we are HIS children. So, it makes perfect sense to me that He would manifest Himself as one of us...as a Child of the Ultimate Father to show us how to commune with Him.

The main difference in my opinion, between Triniarian Christians and non-Trinitarian Christians are differences in scriptural interpretation.

For example...

"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, that he might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works. Speak these things, exhort and rebuke with all authority. Let no one despise you." Tit. 2:11-15

"For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given: and the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God." Isaiah 9:6

"My Father who has given them to me is greater than all: and no one is able to snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and My Father are one." John 10:29-30

"Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM." John 8:58

After Christ arose...he spoke to Thomas and when Thomas saw him he replied...

"My Lord and my God!." John 20:28

In John 1:1-5...the Eternal Word is defined as being both God and Christ...

"In the beginning, was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness and the darkness did not comprehend it."

"He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. Colossians 1:16

...in the scriptures (all taken from the NKJV of the Bible) I posted, I believe that the concept of the Trinity is implied.

And then when applying this to my own spiritual walk....it clicks...it makes perfect sense.

My God, is ONE maginificant God. He is limitless, all powerful and all knowing. In addition to being the Creator and Lord...He is also Father, Christ and Spirit.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
dawny0826, with the verses you have showed, the New Testament shows that Jesus Christ is God, but other verses tell us that He is not on the same level as God the Father, for lack of a better phrase.

Ephesians 1:3 (King James Version)
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

Jesus Christ, a God, has a God.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
with the verses you have showed, the New Testament shows that Jesus Christ is God, but other verses tell us that He is not on the same level as God the Father, for lack of a better phrase.

Keep in mind what Christ's purpose was. Christ didn't come to earth to prove that He was God in the flesh. His purpose was to teach us how to commune with God in a parent/child relationship. Christ nudges us to look upward. That was His purpose. He was the ultimate example of what a Child of God should be.

That makes Him no less God in the FLESH. Fully man. Fully God.

Ephesians 1:3 (King James Version)
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

Jesus Christ, a God, has a God.

I believe that Christ was fully man and fully God.

In the Flesh, His purpose wasn't to place Himself above Father. His role was to teach us how to commune with God, the Father.

When speaking to a Trinitarian, you don't confuse them nor disprove the concept of Trinity when citing such verses. It still makes sense to me.

To further expound, let me explain it this way.

I see God as a wonderful all powerful being. He's the very defnition of might and greatness. And I view God as carrying out different roles.

He is Father. I think most people understand that.

He is also Son.

And He is very much Spirit.

These are three separate roles of ONE God. God has a specific purpose as our Father. God had a specific purpose and plan for our salvation, when He came to us in the Flesh, as Jesus Christ, to show us how to live and out of love, became the Ultimate Sacrifice for our sins, so that we can live and not perish. AND He comes to us in Spirit, when we accept that sacrifice and follow the example that He set for us in Christ. That's what the Trinity is to me. ONE wonderful God who is my Father, my Christ and the precious Spirit that guides and directs.

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
defense of truth said:

Peace
GBU

Nice analogy with the apple:)

I've also heard the trinity compared to water. Water can be a vapor (steam), a liquid, or a solid (ice) but it's all still water.

PHOTOTAKER

there are several assumption that no one can resignable see as logical for one there is nowhere found in the bible that God the father was begotten in fact there is nothing in the scriptures (bible) that say one way or the other, also there is nothing in the scriptures that say what he is made of fully, "God is sprit" so is Man "God is an angry God" so is man... this is just one of several logical fallacies that appear with in the Athanasian Creed (and also the one that i am most familiar with)... further it is impossible for us to see beyond the creation of Earth and the heavens the bible give us very little clues to what happened before the world was for example, the war in heaven, foreordain of the calling on earth "before i formed thee..." the Athanasian Creed is a very poor and confusing way to describe the Godhead, people would have a better luck understanding the God head if they READ the BIBLE and PAY attention to the descriptions of God and there relationship to each other...

may

PHOTOTAKER said:
there are several assumption that no one can resignable see as logical for one there is nowhere found in the bible that God the father was begotten in fact there is nothing in the scriptures (bible) that say one way or the other, also there is nothing in the scriptures that say what he is made of fully, "God is sprit" so is Man "God is an angry God" so is man... this is just one of several logical fallacies that appear with in the Athanasian Creed (and also the one that i am most familiar with)... further it is impossible for us to see beyond the creation of Earth and the heavens the bible give us very little clues to what happened before the world was for example, the war in heaven, foreordain of the calling on earth "before i formed thee..." the Athanasian Creed is a very poor and confusing way to describe the Godhead, people would have a better luck understanding the God head if they READ the BIBLE and PAY attention to the descriptions of God and there relationship to each other...

For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life. For God sent forth his Son into the world, not for him to judge the world, but for the world to be saved through him. JOHN 3;16-17 yes the bible is the way to go .

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
When speaking to a Trinitarian, you don't confuse them nor disprove the concept of Trinity when citing such verses. It still makes sense to me.

Everything is easy when you throw reason out the window. You have a choice with this verse. You can either accept Jesus Christ has a God, or you can brush it aside. You have made your choice.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
*MOD POST*
FOR THOSE MEMBERS WHO ARE NOT CHRISTIAN, PLEASE BE MINDFUL THAT THIS IS A CHRISTIAN FORUM, FOR UNDERSTANDING OF CHRISTIANITY. NO DEBATE IS ALLOWED.