• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The corruption of history

Is our history corrupted?

• Total voters

justaguy313

Premium Member
Do you think our history has been corrupted?

Is it genuine or is it ran by puppeters behind the scene to establish their agenda?

State your reasons pro et contra so we can have a meaningful debate

wp2244215.jpg

wellwisher

Is it genuine or is it ran by puppeters behind the scene to establish their agenda?

View attachment 86707
The answer is no to the first question and yes to the second. The main difference today is modern information technology, the social media rodeo, and blatant fake news is all relatively new and coordinated. The revisionist history lessons of the political Left is the most obvious example or trying to redefine history to hide the atrocities of the Democrat Party; slavery, to game the system for rip off scams like DEI. The blame all whites ever if the Democrats white owned 90% of the slaves. Tactic to spread their sin to others.

Immediately minted history of the current affairs is often confused to protect the criminals. A good example was the COVID virus was used as a pretense to take away liberties, but got to hide that in plain sight. Older history is scrutinized by generations to scholars who seek the truth and not an agenda; get it right. Even now the COVID dogma is being challenged with evidence of misuse and abuse of power and plenty of tax payers ripoffs. The revisionists history, about the USA, that is taught by the left takes a left turn in in terms of older history that had been studied for centuries, all in their favor. This is a tell.

The Russian Collusion Coup run by the Swamp was an insurrection and treason. But since the Left controls academia and could censor social media, they could spin the truth and misuse of government resources while deeming themselves freedom fighters against the orange scourge. But that will not survive the test of time, since patterns of similar and worsening behavior occurred afterwards. But for now the lie may appear to hold due to censorship and undemocratic attacking of political opponents in court. This may require the Department of Education and misinformation, be abolished and reborn .

History is a subjective narrative constructed around past events that may or may not have actually happened.

It often overlaps with myth, generally serves an agenda and is significantly the product of ideology and cultural contingencies.

This doesn’t mean it is “corrupted” though (particularly by some nefarious puppet masters), as it could never be anything other than this.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

View attachment 86707
I'm actually pretty disgusted at all the historical lies they taught me in school. I can only guess and hope that they didn't know themselves either and are probably disgusted that they were told to tesch that material to kids and young adults.

Laika

Premium Member
Voted "I'm not sure". I think the historical record as we currently understand it remains essentially factual. Our popular understanding of history isn't the same or as precise as the knowledge of academics and scholars with years and decades of research into various subjects. Films with historical settings or involving historical figures will only be imperfect reproductions of history, though anyone who loves their craft should aim for at least a decent level of accuracy. So I don't believe there is a secret cabal of historians somewhere, trying to keep things from us.

But history is also a self-portrait of our own time, our society, our common humanity. It's the story of who we are and how we got here and the conclusion we reach about history can tell us about where we are going or might go. So we have incentives to distort the picture of our selves to suit our own purposes. As long as that is limited to occasional bias or error of the interpretation in history, rather than deliberate falsification, it still counts as a decent level of scholarship. History remains humans writing about others humans though and it's liable to reflect our current social relationships even if we do try to tell the most truthful picture possible.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I think history can be corrupted in much the same way the news media can be corrupted in the way current events are explored. This is probably more true for recent history, as that can have an effect on how people perceive the world today.

Of course, we still have freedom of speech, so people can tell whatever version of history they wish. The marketplace of ideas is open, and people can believe whatever they wish about history or current events.

justaguy313

Premium Member
The answer is no to the first question and yes to the second. The main difference today is modern information technology, the social media rodeo, and blatant fake news is all relatively new and coordinated. The revisionist history lessons of the political Left is the most obvious example or trying to redefine history to hide the atrocities of the Democrat Party; slavery, to game the system for rip off scams like DEI. The blame all whites ever if the Democrats white owned 90% of the slaves. Tactic to spread their sin to others.

Immediately minted history of the current affairs is often confused to protect the criminals. A good example was the COVID virus was used as a pretense to take away liberties, but got to hide that in plain sight. Older history is scrutinized by generations to scholars who seek the truth and not an agenda; get it right. Even now the COVID dogma is being challenged with evidence of misuse and abuse of power and plenty of tax payers ripoffs. The revisionists history, about the USA, that is taught by the left takes a left turn in in terms of older history that had been studied for centuries, all in their favor. This is a tell.

The Russian Collusion Coup run by the Swamp was an insurrection and treason. But since the Left controls academia and could censor social media, they could spin the truth and misuse of government resources while deeming themselves freedom fighters against the orange scourge. But that will not survive the test of time, since patterns of similar and worsening behavior occurred afterwards. But for now the lie may appear to hold due to censorship and undemocratic attacking of political opponents in court. This may require the Department of Education and misinformation, be abolished and reborn .

The majority of the people who vote democrats doesn't even realize that they actually established KKK.

As for Russia not being a dictatorship
Joseph Stalin executed his former associate Nikolai Yezhov and made sure that Yezhov's picture was deleted from all photos with Stalin. Thus, among art historians, Yezhov has been nicknamed “The Vanishing Commissar” because his face was retouched from official press photos after his execution. He is one of the most well-known examples of the Soviet press making someone who had fallen out of favor disappear. Just like Hatshepsut and Akhenaten in ancient Egypt.

PureX

Veteran Member
Our PRESENT concept of reality is certainly being corrupted, so how could our historical concept of reality NOT be?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The majority of the people who vote democrats doesn't even realize that they actually established KKK.

I don't know if that would be the majority. However, there are quite a few people who seemingly misunderstand many aspects of U.S. history. History is easier to corrupt when there's a significant degree of ignorance and historical misinformation floating around out there.

As for Russia not being a dictatorship
Joseph Stalin executed his former associate Nikolai Yezhov and made sure that Yezhov's picture was deleted from all photos with Stalin. Thus, among art historians, Yezhov has been nicknamed “The Vanishing Commissar” because his face was retouched from official press photos after his execution. He is one of the most well-known examples of the Soviet press making someone who had fallen out of favor disappear. Just like Hatshepsut and Akhenaten in ancient Egypt.

Yet, we still know of Yezhov's existence today, and I doubt that very many people were fooled by such clumsy and haphazard attempts to revise history.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

View attachment 86707
You seem to have an underlying assumption that there is some true or pure history out there and that it takes intentional action by bad actors for it to be sullied. It's been said that history is written by the winners, but I prefer to think of it as an ongoing struggle between the temporary winners of the times and the other survivors...who maybe used to be the winners, or who will over time become the winners.

While there are 'things that happened' that make up the basis for the story narratives we have about what has happened in the past, it's clear that stories of those events are told from different perspectives, with different purposes, by different groups. There is no 'pure and true' history out there...it's all interpretive stories.

That said, yes, I believe that there are some groups out there that try to put their own spin on the narratives that are in public circulation. It's a marketplace of would-be puppeteers, each trying to undermine the other while getting the most power out of their versions...

justaguy313

Premium Member
You seem to have an underlying assumption that there is some true or pure history out there and that it takes intentional action by bad actors for it to be sullied. It's been said that history is written by the winners, but I prefer to think of it as an ongoing struggle between the temporary winners of the times and the other survivors...who maybe used to be the winners, or who will over time become the winners.

While there are 'things that happened' that make up the basis for the story narratives we have about what has happened in the past, it's clear that stories of those events are told from different perspectives, with different purposes, by different groups. There is no 'pure and true' history out there...it's all interpretive stories.

That said, yes, I believe that there are some groups out there that try to put their own spin on the narratives that are in public circulation. It's a marketplace of would-be puppeteers, each trying to undermine the other while getting the most power out of their versions...

Carroll Quigley's Tragedy and Hope sums up things pretty good

Here's a quick course of it

9781939438010.jpg

Heyo

Veteran Member

I can't answer that with "yes" or "no".
There have been attempts of corruption and some were successful for quite a time. (E.g. the Pippini Donation.) Historians have caught some of them but how many are around they didn't catch?
Having said that, I believe that most of history is reasonably correctly known to historians. It is nearly impossible to fake something without creating contradictions. Once someone really looks into it, the lies come to light.
Another point again is what is taught in schools and textbooks. Simply by time constraints there have to be some things prioritised and leaving out some things will paint a biased picture.

Viker

Häxan
From early education, I believe that I wasn't given an accurate as possible picture of history. They likely did the best that could be achieved with what curriculum was available to teach. There seemed to be many omissions and maybe maybe a tiny few revisions. Otherwise, I wouldn't call it "corrupted". More like cherry picked and dressed a little dandy.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
When I first saw this thread title, I was confused at using a word like "corruption" to describe something that can happen to history. After all, history is fundamentally story and can be told in whatever way one wants to thus there is no "purity" of the story to corrupt in the first place. But then I ran the OP, which reads like a conspiracy theorist's rantings with a word like "puppeteers" in it (as if some elite cadre of humans somehow dictates everything about how the story is told - HA!) and went... nah. Nah, girl. Just no. I'm not into conspiracy theory nonsense.

justaguy313

Premium Member
When I first saw this thread title, I was confused at using a word like "corruption" to describe something that can happen to history. After all, history is fundamentally story and can be told in whatever way one wants to thus there is no "purity" of the story to corrupt in the first place. But then I ran the OP, which reads like a conspiracy theorist's rantings with a word like "puppeteers" in it (as if some elite cadre of humans somehow dictates everything about how the story is told - HA!) and went... nah. Nah, girl. Just no. I'm not into conspiracy theory nonsense.

Well, you certainly can't call Carroll Quigley your average tin foil hat conspiracy theorist.

Bthoth

*banned*

View attachment 86707
history is written by the victors,

""History is written by the victors. So said Winston Churchill. Napoleon called it a fable agreed upon.""

It's a phenomena of mankind's written material (historical references).