• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The default position...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
I'm still on the "Theism vs Everything Else" side.
I don't feel the need to forcefully classify people either way, but then again I just don't care.
I do feel that, by definition, I know where people are categorized, no consent required.
Don't care enough to convince anyone though, if you have such issues about this then get the definition of Atheist re-written.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Never mind you switched it again... I never said this. Formulate it right. Not goes before God
I didn't 'switch' anything. I am painfully aware that your entire position here depends on how you word it. You attempt to conjure a third possibility from a polarity by semantics alone.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Hearsay is often considered good evidence. If your mother told you that you sister was hungry would you reject this?

Personal testimony is not hearsay.

If there's no evidence to authenticate a claim or testimony, no one can know the Truth of it but the testifier. And if all the witnesses are dead or otherwise unavailable, they can't be cross examined--much to the relief of those who claim revealed certainty. Then there's the question, why wouldn't God, if It was going to reveal something, do it for everyone, everywhere, everytime, in every language so it couldn't be corrupted by fallible humans?

And in administrative decisions hearsay may be relied upon.
Furthermore, there are many exceptions wherein hearsay is permitted even during trial.

And were you aware that wills are hearsay?

Yes, in court, sometimes we have to decide what is most likely the Truth, but in criminal cases, there can be no reasonable doubt--where as with divine revelation, there's nothing but doubt. Take a will as an example. The deceased-to-be signs it in person, with two witnesses, and it's executed by a person of his choosing. Now, imagine a person writing something and saying that this is God's will. Not signature or it's in the author's handwriting, all the "witnesses" validate each other even though they're 2000 years dead or 2000 years after-the-fact, some priest says God chose him as the executor. Any judge would throw it out, but in our cases, with revelation, we're the judges.

I'm not saying that one should believe hearsay but the simple truth is we do believe hearsay. To say otherwise is absolute hypocrisy. If you are going to attack personal testimony and hearsay, do so on credibility and reliability. Come on now, step up that game.

We do so where there's corroborating evidence, the declarant is credible and trustworthy, but most importantly of all, the situation demands a decision one way or another be made. When you're talking spirituality, you're betting your soul if you have one. Are you going to rely on rationality, or emotion based mostly on a long family tradition founded on 2000 years of what is most likely air and superstition.

Tradition is usually the result of what has proved effective in the past; what has stood the test of time. This doesn't mean tradition should never be changed, or all traditions are good, but that people should be wary of replacing tradition as what follows is frequently worse.

Tradition without a foundation in some sort of reason is highly suspect. Why or how did it start? They mustn't be their own justification.

We are terrible at predicting the effects of our actions yet we refuse to accept this fact.

In large part because we rely on our emotions for our reactions. Look at all the godawful, complex moral codes we've come up with. Deuteronomy alone makes my eyes cross. But all we really need is a very simple one sentence code, honor the equal rights of all to life, liberty, property and self-defense.
Writing off tradition as an anachronism that can be easily swept aside by contemporary human rationality is hubristic.

Like I say, it depends on the source.

That is why it is much more pertinent to question religions role within society rather than focus on the facile topic of does God exist.

Questioning the existence of God, at least a revealed God and It's revelations leads directly to questioning the religions founded on those revelations, with the existence of those revealed Gods being a near certain lie or some form of misinterpretation or indoctrination.

Not believing in a given claim is not a proposition. The only relevant claim is that God exists.
Thus the default remains atheism.

No, the claim is whether a God might or might not have created the universe. Neither position can claim any evidence, at least not at this time. That said, a claim that God revealed Itself or some information, does put the burden of proof on the claimant. A deist God is just as remote as no God.

Lol, sooner or later you will get this. God does not exist is a proposition.

No. "Does God Exist?" would be a proposition. "God does not exist" is a declaration. And in either case you would need to define what God is. I define God as all that there is, objective and subjective, the whole Truth. It may or may not be conscious. Lies, the inventions of sentient creatures alone, are not part of God (if It exists), since they are the absence of Truth.

Sure, you can write anything as a proposition - the fact remains that there is only two possible states, belief and disbelief. The latter being the default.

Yes, but you can't change that by using slight-of-hand with the dictionary. If one doesn't believe or if one disbelieves in anything, it's the same position. The only qualifier is the degree of certainty with which one claims that he doesn't believe or disbelieves.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
If there's no evidence to authenticate a claim or testimony, no one can know the Truth of it but the testifier. And if all the witnesses are dead or otherwise unavailable, they can't be cross examined--much to the relief of those who claim revealed certainty. Then there's the question, why wouldn't God, if It was going to reveal something, do it for everyone, everywhere, everytime, in every language so it couldn't be corrupted by fallible humans?

Yes, in court, sometimes we have to decide what is most likely the Truth, but in criminal cases, there can be no reasonable doubt--where as with divine revelation, there's nothing but doubt. Take a will as an example. The deceased-to-be signs it in person, with two witnesses, and it's executed by a person of his choosing. Now, imagine a person writing something and saying that this is God's will. Not signature or it's in the author's handwriting, all the "witnesses" validate each other even though they're 2000 years dead or 2000 years after-the-fact, some priest says God chose him as the executor. Any judge would throw it out, but in our cases, with revelation, we're the judges.

We do so where there's corroborating evidence, the declarant is credible and trustworthy, but most importantly of all, the situation demands a decision one way or another be made. When you're talking spirituality, you're betting your soul if you have one. Are you going to rely on rationality, or emotion based mostly on a long family tradition founded on 2000 years of what is most likely air and superstition.

Tradition without a foundation in some sort of reason is highly suspect. Why or how did it start? They mustn't be their own justification.

In large part because we rely on our emotions for our reactions. Look at all the godawful, complex moral codes we've come up with. Deuteronomy alone makes my eyes cross. But all we really need is a very simple one sentence code, honor the equal rights of all to life, liberty, property and self-defense.

Like I say, it depends on the source.

Questioning the existence of God, at least a revealed God and It's revelations leads directly to questioning the religions founded on those revelations, with the existence of those revealed Gods being a near certain lie or some form of misinterpretation or indoctrination.

No, the claim is whether a God might or might not have created the universe.
No, it most certainly is not. The origin of the universe is a different topic entirely.
Neither position can claim any evidence, at least not at this time. That said, a claim that God revealed Itself or some information, does put the burden of proof on the claimant. A deist God is just as remote as no God.

No. "Does God Exist?" would be a proposition. "God does not exist" is a declaration. And in either case you would need to define what God is. I define God as all that there is, objective and subjective, the whole Truth. It may or may not be conscious. Lies, the inventions of sentient creatures alone, are not part of God (if It exists), since they are the absence of Truth.

Yes, but you can't change that by using slight-of-hand with the dictionary. If one doesn't believe or if one disbelieves in anything, it's the same position. The only qualifier is the degree of certainty with which one claims that he doesn't believe or disbelieves.
The degree of certainty is a different topic also.

ArtieE

I believe God exists.
I believe God doesn't exist.
I believe neither I'm neutral.

I believe God exists.
I don’t believe God exists.

Both are correct.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Or you hold the opposite belief.
Sure, and of course you can not at the same time both hold, and not hold the same
I believe God exists.
I believe God doesn't exist.
I believe neither I'm neutral.

I believe God exists.
I don’t believe God exists.

Both are correct.
What? How can you believe God neither does, nor does not exist?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
You don't. Every "I" is a separate person.
Of course we are, all separate people - what are you trying to say?

My question was - How can a person (an individual, a 'seperate' person) neither believe nor disbelieve God exists?

ArtieE

Of course we are, all separate people - what are you trying to say?

My question was - How can a person (an individual, a 'seperate' person) neither believe nor disbelieve God exists?
Your wording is wrong. A person can believe God exists, he can believe God doesn't exist or he can be neutral and believe neither.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Your wording is wrong. A person can believe God exists, he can believe God doesn't exist or he can be neutral and believe neither.
What do you mean by saying 'my wording is wrong'? No it isn't. A person who does not believe god exists is atheist. The 'neutral' position you identify is atheist.

Last edited:

ArtieE

Wha do you mean by saying 'my wording is wrong'? No it isn't. A person who does not believe god exists is atheist. The 'neutral' position you identify is atheist.
The neutral "position" is "weak atheist". "Strong atheist" is not a neutral position.

Theist
Atheist

Theist
Weak atheist
Strong atheist

Both are correct.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
The neutral "position" is "weak atheist". "Strong atheist" is not a neutral position.

Theist
Atheist

Theist
Weak atheist
Strong atheist

Both are correct.
Strong and weak atheism are both atheism, and exclude belief in God. Strong atheism is no different in terms of burden of proof or default than is 'weak' atheism. In fact I think dividing atheism into 'strong' and 'weak' is a tragically pointless and silly concept.

ArtieE

Strong and weak atheism are both atheism, and exclude belief in God. Strong atheism is no different in terms of burden of proof or default than is 'weak' atheism. In fact I think dividing atheism into 'strong' and 'weak' is a tragically pointless and silly concept.
Then you simply want to ignore the difference between people who believe God doesn't exist and people who don't believe God doesn't exist.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How can a person (an individual, a 'seperate' person) neither believe nor disbelieve God exists?
By not knowing. For example, the standard model is based upon quantum field theory, in which the so-called "quantum field" is the central or fundamental component to the "standard" Lagrangian approach, but this would-be "entity" doesn't appear in algebraic QFT. Worse, even if one asserts that e.g., the Lagrangian approach in which the quantum field appears should be interpreted ontologically, we still find that not only do various entities "appear" or do not depending upon particular formulations, and that one of he central descriptions of their dynamics can be reformulated or interpreted epistemically.

More simply, do you believe that path integrals describe the actual paths of "particles" or not? Perhaps you have a strong belief about this, but a great many people whose field is particle physics or condensed matter physics of quantum field theory or whatever would assert that they neither believe that path integrals describe the real trajectories of particles, nor that they believe that path integrals do not. They simply do not know.

Agnosticism isn't just a religious perspective. People can be agnostic about many things, in that given some proposition P they neither believe that P is true nor believe that P is false. They don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.