• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Dehumanizing Double Standards in Media Coverage of War

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
So why not just not join Nato and keep the peace? This is like a person walking up to a person and saying I will get my gang to hit you and your family - what you can do? Perhaps the person will do nothing, perhaps the person will choose to protect his family. Perhaps all bets was Putin had no courage?

Putin's a dictator, and therefore a control freak. He can't cope with the knowledge that Ukraine wants nothing to do with his corrupt empire.
Putin is like a school-yard bully who threatens smaller children to join his gang.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Putin's a dictator, and therefore a control freak. He can't cope with the knowledge that Ukraine wants nothing to do with his corrupt empire.
Putin is like a school-yard bully who threatens smaller children to join his gang.

Putin has to protect his family more like it because you got crazy mafia that can hire anyone to attack it.

You forced him to fight. He never wanted this.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
The Soviet empire collapsed with the fall of the Berlin Wall. Subsequently some of the Eastern block countries decided to join NATO - and who can blame them after decades of brutal soviet oppression?
Putin is a megalomaniac bully-boy who is intent on restarting the Cold War, and re-conquering former soviet-bloc states.

And why Nato membership was taken by Lithuania Latvia and Estonia,Moldova is neutral and has sticky pants he might come back.

Martin

The Putin apologetics has taken away from the focus of the OP.

Back to the OP: So far, only a few posts have acknowledged what's wrong with the extremely lopsided tone from the media concerning wars in the Middle East and Africa versus that in Ukraine. Do people here really see no big issue with that, or are some just choosing to stay silent for worry they could somehow be supporting Putin if they criticize the lopsided language and reporting?

I'm trying to get more perspective on this because I would find it quite concerning for people to voice support for the rights of minorities and people of color and then overlook something like this.

It might be partly that human thing of identifying more with people who live nearer to you, or people who are more like you. The Ukraine invasion is a big deal for Europeans because Ukraine is a European country.

Last edited:

Martin

Putin has to protect his family more like it because you got crazy mafia that can hire anyone to attack it.

You forced him to fight. He never wanted this.

Nonsense. Putin's been spoiling for a fight for years. Today he put his nuclear forces on alert because of some sanctions, a ridiculous and dangerous over-reaction, throwing his toys out of the pram as usual.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Nonsense. Putin's been spoiling for a fight for years. Today he put his nuclear forces on alert because of some sanctions, a ridiculous and dangerous over-reaction, throwing his toys out of the pram as usual.
He's been warning hoping you guys would be reasonable about this.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

The topic is doublestandardism.
It is rightful that people criticize and condemn Russia for waging war against Ukraine.

But I havent seen the very same people condemning Saudi Arabia for attacking harmless Yemen.

So, double standards.

Martin

The topic is doublestandardism.
It is rightful that people criticize and condemn Russia for waging war against Ukraine.

But I havent seen the very same people condemning Saudi Arabia for attacking harmless Yemen.

So, double standards.

Actually there has been condemnation of Saudia Arabia. And see my comment in post #65.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Actually there has been condemnation of Saudia Arabia. And see my comment in post #65.

Canada supplied Saudi Arabia weapons for the war against Yemen. I won't ever forget it. I won't support oppressors neither their supporters.

Martin

Canada supplied Saudi Arabia weapons for the war against Yemen. I won't ever forget it. I won't support oppressors neither their supporters.

That was wrong. But this is whataboutism, and it doesn't excuse Putin's behaviour.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That was wrong. But this is whataboutism, and it doesn't excuse Putin's behaviour.

It is about whataboutism, because Russia doesn't trust Nato as they have a track record of causing chaos on earth and told you the redline and where expansion of Nato must stop. But you had to the coup and cause chaos in the earth.

Truth is with Putin on this issue. You can still stop your governments and hold your media accountable to lies. But will you?

stvdv

Veteran Member
Putin is the only non-racist/fascist white leader I know. He helped Iran and Hezbollah and Syrian army stop ISIS while Obama created it.

To me, I can't ever trust US. They have proven themselves to be deceivers, liars, and havoc creators. I don't want them to be the power in the world.

They could've made the world better place, but all their propaganda was oriented towards Iran and we are purely evil because we oppose Israel. If it was theocracy and human right issues they would not be in bed with dictators like Saudi Arabia.

Time for the empire of hypocrisy to be stood up to.
The West created so many wars, and it is all about money, control, oil etc.

They have been dissing Russia and Putin for many decades. There is freedom of speech, but they abused it, and got Putin mad, hence the West can blame itself now for what Putin does. We all know that we're responsible for our action, that applies also for angering presidents

We all know the RF Rules, that we should not be dissing others, and not belittle or demonize others. The West, esp. USA has done it for decades.

If the West chooses to play with fire (words are fire) then it should be grown up handling their own created karma.

Last edited:

Martin

It is about whataboutism, because Russia doesn't trust Nato as they have a track record of causing chaos on earth and told you the redline and where expansion of Nato must stop. But you had to the coup and cause chaos in the earth.

Truth is with Putin on this issue. You can still stop your governments and hold your media accountable to lies. But will you?

But NATO hasn't threatened Russia, and hasn't forced anyone to join NATO. This is just sour grapes on Putin's part, he hasn't come to terms with the collapse of the Soviet empire, or with the Berlin Wall coming down, or with all those countries rejecting the "Soviet dream".
He's stuck in a Cold War mentality, and can't cope with the peace.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But NATO hasn't threatened Russia, and hasn't forced anyone to join NATO. This is just sour grapes on Putin's part, he hasn't come to terms with the collapse of the Soviet empire, or with all those countries rejecting the "Soviet dream".

It created a coup to cause this chaotic situation. Maybe they didn't expect Putin to act this early and wanted things on their schedule, but this is Nato's fault.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The West created so many wars, and it is all about money, control, oil etc.

They have been dissing Russia and Putin for many decades. There is as freedom of speech, but they abused it, and the West is to blame also for what Putin does

We all know the RF Rules, that we should not be dissing others, and not belittle or demonize others. The West, esp. USA has done it for decades.

If the West chooses to play with fire (words are fire) then it should be grown up handling their own created karma.

No sane leader of a country as powerful as Russia responds to criticism and words with military force. That's the stuff egomaniacal tyrants do, and he has shown himself to be one through both his domestic and foreign policies.

Martin

It created a coup to cause this chaotic situation. Maybe they didn't expect Putin to act this early and wanted things on their schedule, but this is Nato's fault.

No, it really isn't. NATO is actually a much weaker force than it used to be, and no serious threat to Russia. Ironically Putin's invasion of Ukraine is leading to a resurgence of NATO, with Germany now upping its defence spending, and so on.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No sane leader of a country as powerful as Russia responds to criticism and words with military force. That's the stuff egomaniacal tyrants do, and he has shown himself to be one through both his domestic and foreign policies.

The propaganda to make him look crazy is so people have no conversation over the issues at hand. He is one of the most reasonable and intelligent leaders there are.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No, it really isn't. NATO is actually a much weaker force than it used to be, and no serious threat to Russia. Ironically Putin's invasion of Ukraine is leading to a resurgence of NATO, with Germany now upping its defence spending, and so on.

No serious threat? Okay... dude. You have no idea what you are talking about.

This a created situation, Putin been warning and trying to get Nato to avoid for years. They don't listen to reason, they know two things only, and that is causing havoc on earth and sanctions.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In my opinion, it isn't a larger event than a war that killed almost half a million Iraqis, no, at least not if we go by number of civilian casualties. Saying that it is seems to underestimate the extent of the death and destruction caused by the Iraq War.
You have a middle eastern, rather than a western perspective.
I'm not saying that one is right, & the other wrong....just offering
an explanation for different levels of focus other than race.
It's just more immediate at the moment. But to say it's "larger" seems too focused on a specific region's concerns. That would be understandable from a self-focused perspective, but it isn't consistent or accurate.
To you, accuracy might be about the number of deaths.
But to westerners, the Russia vs Ukraine conflict reminds
us of the existential threat of thermo-nuclear warfare.
Not defending...just splaining.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
He's a hero to me.

He is a minion of evil to me. He has brought us to the brink of nuclear war because of his evil. He's a power-mad monster and the world would be better off, incredibly better off if he were not on it.