• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Democratic Platform

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
After Hungary constructed a series of powerful border fences in response to the European migrant crisis, illegal immigration there declined by 99 percent; this should be a good indicator of how a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border will significantly reduce illegal immigration into the U.S. from Mexico.

Hungarian border barrier - Wikipedia
If illegal immigration into Hungary was comparable to illegal immigration into the US, sure. Too bad it isn't.

Kangaroo Feathers

What's so different about the nature of illegal immigration into Hungary compared with illegal immigration into the United States?
Maybe you should do some research before using it as an argument, then, if you aren't that familiar with it.

The short answer, though, is that most illegal immigration to Hungary occurs with direct border crossing, which a physical border barrier may reduce. Most illegal immigration to the US occurs when legal entrants over stay their visas, which a physical border barrier does nothing to reduce.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Maybe you should do some research before using it as an argument, then, if you aren't that familiar with it.

The short answer, though, is that most illegal immigration to Hungary occurs with direct border crossing, which a physical border barrier may reduce. Most illegal immigration to the US occurs when legal entrants over stay their visas, which a physical border barrier does nothing to reduce.

About half of illegal immigrants enter the U.S. from illegal border crossings; the other half are here because they've overstayed their Visa. This means an effective border wall would reduce illegal immigration by nearly fifty percent, which is a good start towards fighting illegal immigration.

A good compromise between no barrier and a wall would be 2 parallel barbed wire border fences with strategically placed patrol towers. Also, a merit based system for granting work permits to foreigners who are skilled laborers wanting the privilege of being employed with a high paying job in the United States. Furthermore, an end to chain migration.

I so no reason why anybody concerned with effective border security should object to the above stated proposals.

Last edited:

Kangaroo Feathers

About half of illegal immigrants enter the U.S. from illegal border crossings; the other half are here because they've overstayed their Visa. This means an effective border wall would reduce illegal immigration by nearly fifty percent, which is a good start towards fighting illegal immigration.
Of that "half" how many of those border crossings occur in a fashion a wall would have any effect on? I'd like to see your source.

Anyhow, 50% is very different to the 99% you claimed for Hungary, therefore it's not a good comparison, as was my point.

esmith

Veteran Member
Well I see a lot of ideas on what but I see not ideas on how, and the "how" is the most important.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Well I see a lot of ideas on what but I see not ideas on how, and the "how" is the most important.
Time to start googling.

Any foreigner can look at America and know that BLUE areas are more prosperous and wealthy than RED areas. Republicans taking you for a ride

esmith

Veteran Member
Time to start googling.

Any foreigner can look at America and know that BLUE areas are more prosperous and wealthy than RED areas. Republicans taking you for a ride
So you are saying that the Dems are going to tax the "BLUE" areas more than the "RED" areas in order to pay for their plans?
Really read what I asked...... "Well I see a lot of ideas on what but I see not ideas on how, and the "how" is the most important" and stop pontificating.
In other words the how is how are they planing on paying for their ideas.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Let see if I have the right you are saying that illegals are legals? Wow what a brain fart.

Are you saying that someone who comes here legally cannot become an illegal alien by over-staying his or her visa? If so, how did you arrive at that conclusion?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
There's already a wall. A complete wall is a waste of money and won't change anything.

After Hungary constructed a series of powerful border fences in response to the European migrant crisis, illegal immigration there declined by 99 percent; this should be a good indicator of how a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border will significantly reduce illegal immigration into the U.S. from Mexico.

Hungarian border barrier - Wikipedia

A good compromise between no barrier and a wall would be 2 parallel barbed wire border fences with strategically placed patrol towers. Also, a merit based system for granting work permits to foreigners who are skilled laborers wanting the privilege of being employed with a high paying job in the United States. Furthermore, an end to chain migration.

I so no reason why anybody concerned with effective border security should object to the above stated proposals.

esmith

Veteran Member
Are you saying that someone who comes here legally cannot become an illegal alien by over-staying his or her visa? If so, how did you arrive at that conclusion?
My mistake, did not consider those that overstay their Visa's.

Riders

Which of these do you take issue with?

RAISE INCOMES AND RESTORE ECONOMIC SECURITY FOR THE MIDDLE CLASS
Raising Workers’ Wages
Protecting Workers’ Fundamental Rights
Supporting Working Families
Helping More Workers Share in Near-Record Corporate Profits
Expanding Access to Affordable Housing and Homeownership
Protecting and Expanding Social Security
Ensuring a Secure and Dignified Retirement
Revitalizing Our Nation’s Postal Service
CREATE GOOD-PAYING JOBS
Building 21st Century Infrastructure
Fostering a Manufacturing Renaissance
Creating Good-Paying Clean Energy Jobs
Pursuing Our Innovation Agenda: Science, Research, Education, and Technology
Supporting America’s Small Businesses
Creating Jobs for America’s Young People

FIGHT FOR ECONOMIC FAIRNESS AND AGAINST INEQUALITY
Reining in Wall Street and Fixing our Financial System
Promoting Competition by Stopping Corporate Concentration
Making the Wealthy Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes
Promoting Trade That is Fair and Benefits American Workers

BRING AMERICANS TOGETHER AND REMOVE BARRIERS TO OPPORTUNITIES
Ending Systemic Racism
Closing the Racial Wealth Gap
Reforming our Criminal Justice System
Fixing our Broken Immigration System
Guaranteeing Civil Rights
Guaranteeing Women’s Rights
Guaranteeing Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Rights
Guaranteeing Rights for People with Disabilities
Respecting Faith and Service
Investing in Rural America
Ending Poverty and Investing in Communities Left Behind
Building Strong Cities and Metro Areas
Promoting Arts and Culture
Honoring Indigenous Tribal Nations
Fighting for the People of Puerto Rico
Honoring the People of the Territories

PROTECT VOTING RIGHTS, FIX OUR CAMPAIGN FINANCE SYSTEM, AND RESTORE OUR DEMOCRACY
Protecting Voting Rights
Fixing Our Broken Campaign Finance System
Appointing Judges
Securing Statehood for Washington, DC
Strengthening Management of Federal Government

COMBAT CLIMATE CHANGE, BUILD A CLEAN ENERGY ECONOMY, AND SECURE ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE
Building a Clean Energy Economy
Securing Environmental and Climate Justice
Protecting Our Public Lands and Waters
PROVIDE QUALITY AND AFFORDABLE EDUCATION
Making Debt-Free College a Reality
Providing Relief from Crushing Student Debt
Supporting Historically Black Colleges and Universities and Minority-Serving Institutions
Cracking Down on Predatory For-Profit Schools
Guaranteeing Universal Preschool and Good Schools for Every Child

ENSURE THE HEALTH AND SAFETY OF ALL AMERICANS
Securing Universal Health Care
Supporting Community Health Centers
Reducing Prescription Drug Costs
Enabling Cutting-Edge Medical Research
Combating Drug and Alcohol Addiction
Treating Mental Health
Supporting Those Living with Autism and their Families
Securing Reproductive Health, Rights, and Justice
Ensuring Long-Term Care, Services, and Supports
Protecting and Promoting Public Health
Ending Violence Against Women
Preventing Gun Violence

PRINCIPLED LEADERSHIP

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS AND KEEP FAITH WITH OUR VETERANS
Defense Spending
Veterans and Service Members
Military Families
A Strong Military

CONFRONT GLOBAL THREATS
Terrorism
Syria
Afghanistan
Iran
North Korea
Russia
Cybersecurity and Online Privacy
Non-Proliferation of Nuclear, Chemical, and Biological Weapons
Global Climate Leadership

PROTECT OUR VALUES
Women and Girls
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender People
Trafficking and Modern Slavery
Young People
Religious Minorities
Refugees
Civil Society
Anti-Corruption
Torture
Closing Guantánamo Bay
Development Assistance
Global Health
HIV and AIDS
International Labor

A LEADER IN THE WORLD
Asia-Pacific
Middle East
Europe
Americas
Africa
Global Economy and Institutions
Party Platform - Democrats

I for all of it. And I think the President should shop up for Veterans day.