• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Difference between Pentacostal Christianity and Witchcraft?

logician

Seriously, if you don't have anything on topic or constructive to add, find another thread to play in. :rolleyes:

It's quite on topic, I've been in Pentecostal churches many times. They are attended largely by people leading lives of desperation, and in my opinion give these people false hope and little real help.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Neither is there scriptural condemnation of the pentacostal practice

New International
1 Corinthians 14-4

He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.

1 Corinthians 14-9

Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air.

King James
1 Corinthians 14-11

Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
New International

1 Corinthians 14- 28

If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God.

Ozzie

I'm sure that title grabbed your attention :D

I don't mean that in a religious sense, but in a practical sense. Having been involved for a short while with Pentacostal/Charismatic Christians, I've noticed some similarities between it, certain Word of Faith doctrines and practices, and modern witchcraft (I say modern only because I don't see similarities when dealing with folk magic).

For example, many times in these churches you will see parishioners worshipping with their arms outstretched, trying to reach God, or to feel His love. Well, this is similar to the way in which many witches draw in energy and worship their Gods. Laying of hands also strikes me as being very similar to Reiki practices.

The Word of Faith movement seems to be much more New Age than Christian. I often see Joel Osteen's books marketed in bookstores along-side "The Secret" and "The Law of Attraction". Those two books are really nothing but watered-down witchcraft taken out of context (as, the basis of most magic is will, and the "power of positive thinking").

So, how is it that Christians can follow these teachings and participate in these practices, and then condemn witchcraft as evil?
Maybe witches objectify their faith? Putting somthing under the hearth to ward off the evil spirits for example.

Do pentacostal Christians preach the prosperity gospel?

If so a nice car in the drive would serve the same function in their minds.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
This is kind of off-topic, but Paul, please promise me that you won't believe what she says at face value, if you ever speak to her? Being somewhat familiar with her stuff, her story may be more sensationalism to steal the money of dutiful Christians than actual truth.

Just sayin'...:eek:

Would you mind tellig me, I have read her book and believed most of what I read, no reason not to I guess but I have always had some unsureties about what she wrote too, somethings didn't seem right.

IF we are off topic then please pm me.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Would you mind tellig me, I have read her book and believed most of what I read, no reason not to I guess but I have always had some unsureties about what she wrote too, somethings didn't seem right.

IF we are off topic then please pm me.

Here is quite an interesting article on Doreen Irvine. I found it to be quite enlightening compared to other things out there.

Link here.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Here is quite an interesting article on Doreen Irvine. I found it to be quite enlightening compared to other things out there.

Link here.

Becky that article was not about Doreen Irvine it just mentions her because the lady the article is about had read her book and met her. Very interesting website though.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Becky that article was not about Doreen Irvine it just mentions her because the lady the article is about had read her book and met her. Very interesting website though.

I do apologize, but to me it sort of pointed out that there could be a problem with Ms. Irvine's story. I find what ML said about sensationalism to be true in most of these cases. It's happened to Christianity, it's happened to Paganism, Islam and a whole host of other religions. If the story seems a bit out there, it usually is.