• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Electoral College Should Be Abolished?

The Electoral College Should Be Abolished?

• Yes

Votes: 22 57.9%
  • No

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
The right for a boy to marry a boy.
Same sex marriage is not an additional right. It is equality. It is not your right to define what is and is not marriage.
The furthering of rights for mothers to murder their children.
That is not going on.
Rights for deviant boys to use girl's restrooms.
That is not going on.
The right to be disarmed.
That is not going on.
The right to discard the 1st amendment.
That is not going on.
The right to discard the 2nd amendment.
That is not going on.

Sonofason

Same sex marriage is not an additional right. It is equality. It is not your right to define what is and is not marriage.

Yes, it is my right to define anything I choose to define, however I choose to define it. We all have the right to marry a person of the opposite sex. You're asking for additional rights. They are undeserved rights, since those who desire such rights are engaging in debauched behaviors.

That is not going on.
That is not going on.
That is not going on.
That is not going on.
Well, I believe it is going on.

Shadow Wolf

Yes, it is my right to define anything I choose to define, however I choose to define it.
Marriage, as a legal concept, you have no right to define. I have no right to define it either. You can define it according to you, but you have no right to define it legally.
We all have the right to marry a person of the opposite sex. You're asking for additional rights.
It's not an additional right when a certain group already has that right. It's called "extending" a right to a group that lacks it.

Well, I believe it is going on.
You can believe it's going on, but that doesn't make it true.

Sonofason

Marriage, as a legal concept, you have no right to define. I have no right to define it either. You can define it according to you, but you have no right to define it legally.

It's not an additional right when a certain group already has that right. It's called "extending" a right to a group that lacks it.

You can believe it's going on, but that doesn't make it true.
People who simply claim to be the wrong gender do not have the right to marry someone of the same gender. My daughter believes she is 18 years old. Should she be allowed to marry even though her birth certificate says she is 12 years old?

Shadow Wolf

People who simply claim to be the wrong gender do not have the right to marry someone of the same gender.
Actually, they do. It's called "equality under the law." You don't get to decide who gets to have their rights and who doesn't, and this is not something religion gets to bestow upon itself either.
My daughter believes she is 18 years old. Should she be allowed to marry even though her birth certificate says she is 12 years old?
I doubt your 12 year old daughter experiences severe depression, social withdrawal, and has poor social functioning because she thinks she is 18. Your example is not comparable to those with gender dysphoria. Those with gender dysphoria start out as emotional wrecks, and generally, mostly, and widely improve in strides as they transition.

Nous

Premium Member
NPV is a bad idea. Here's an example of why...

Let's assume for the sake of argument that all the 3 million voters who give Hillary the popular vote advantage are from California. California gives 55 electoral votes to Hillary, regardless of whether 6 million Californians or 16 million Californians voted for her.
Your scenario is impossible. It isn't possible to stifle hundreds of millions of votes throughout the rest of the country so that 6 million or 16 million voters in California could make Clinton the winner of the national popular vote by 3 million votes.

It seems that you are trying to present some version of the "big cities" argument. But that argument is false. The NPV website demonstrates the errors in each one of the myths about the national popular vote: National Popular Vote Let me know if you find one that they did not address.

In a true popular vote, every vote will matter.
The NPVIC ensures that the winner of the electoral vote will be the winner of the national popular vote, and vice versa. It makes for electing the President by national popular vote. As far as electing the President, the NPVIC does not and cannot do anything different than an election by direct popular vote would.

Poisonshady313

Your scenario is impossible. It isn't possible to stifle hundreds of millions of votes throughout the rest of the country so that 6 million or 16 million voters in California could make Clinton the winner of the national popular vote by 3 million votes.
Tens of millions of votes. That's exactly what would happen if you continue on with an electoral college system that not only permits, but requires electors to vote for someone other than who their own state voted for. An elector represents approx 600,000 people. 37 electors represent approx 22.2 million people. Requiring 37 electors to defect because of 3 million people (whether they come from one state or a multitude of states) is basically disenfranchising 22.2 million people.

If we can do away with electors altogether, and let everyone's vote count, you can say that the people who voted for the losing side lost fairly without the moral dilemma of ripping electors away from states that rightly won them.

What you're ignoring is the fact that the electoral college is still a bad idea even when the electoral vote aligns with the popular vote (like it has in all but 4 elections in US history).

It seems that you are trying to present some version of the "big cities" argument.
You may have misunderstood me.
The NPV website demonstrates the errors in each one of the myths about the national popular vote: National Popular Vote Let me know if you find one that they did not address.
They give good reason for having the popular vote select the President, but ignore the fact that it involves keeping an electoral college, while effectively making it useless. Why do that?

The NPVIC ensures that the winner of the electoral vote will be the winner of the national popular vote, and vice versa. It makes for electing the President by national popular vote.
So why keep the middle man?

As far as electing the President, the NPVIC does not and cannot do anything different than an election by direct popular vote would.
Except for the fact that it makes the electoral college a complete waste of time. Why not let a direct popular vote simply be a direct popular vote? Why have 51 separate elections if the results in some of those states will be overturned by the results of other states? Why not have "one election, one result"?

Sonofason

Actually, they do. It's called "equality under the law." You don't get to decide who gets to have their rights and who doesn't, and this is not something religion gets to bestow upon itself either.

I doubt your 12 year old daughter experiences severe depression, social withdrawal, and has poor social functioning because she thinks she is 18. Your example is not comparable to those with gender dysphoria. Those with gender dysphoria start out as emotional wrecks, and generally, mostly, and widely improve in strides as they transition.
So you would deny my daughter the right to marry at 12 years old simply because she isn't as depressed as gay people? That doesn't seem fair to me. What if I want to marry my sister, would you approve? What if I wanted to marry my mother, would you approve? No, I have every right to do everything in my legal power to prevent people from doing those things I don't approve of them doing. And that includes everything from disallowing gay people to marry, down to people trying to urinate on my lawn.

Sonofason

Tens of millions of votes. That's exactly what would happen if you continue on with an electoral college system that not only permits, but requires electors to vote for someone other than who their own state voted for. An elector represents approx 600,000 people. 37 electors represent approx 22.2 million people. Requiring 37 electors to defect because of 3 million people (whether they come from one state or a multitude of states) is basically disenfranchising 22.2 million people.

If we can do away with electors altogether, and let everyone's vote count, you can say that the people who voted for the losing side lost fairly without the moral dilemma of ripping electors away from states that rightly won them.

What you're ignoring is the fact that the electoral college is still a bad idea even when the electoral vote aligns with the popular vote (like it has in all but 4 elections in US history).

You may have misunderstood me. They give good reason for having the popular vote select the President, but ignore the fact that it involves keeping an electoral college, while effectively making it useless. Why do that?

So why keep the middle man?

Except for the fact that it makes the electoral college a complete waste of time. Why not let a direct popular vote simply be a direct popular vote? Why have 51 separate elections if the results in some of those states will be overturned by the results of other states? Why not have "one election, one result"?
At least with the electoral system, we are protected from the obvious fraudulent undertakings of a dishonest political party who will cheat and lie and do anything in their power to delegitimize an election that is perfectly legitimate.

After Trump takes office, lets really look at this, lets count all the votes, and I guarantee you Trump won the Popular vote too.
I noticed a jurisdiction in Nevada where 137% of the eligible voters voted for Clinton. Hahaha such liars and cheats.

Shadow Wolf

So you would deny my daughter the right to marry at 12 years old simply because she isn't as depressed as gay people?
That is one major stretch. How did you even make that jump?
And, no, BTW, I would not allow 12 year olds to marry because their brains are not yet fully developed.
What if I want to marry my sister, would you approve? What if I wanted to marry my mother, would you approve?
No, but I wouldn't stop you, tell you how wrong it is, or condemn you to Hell.
No, I have every right to do everything in my legal power to prevent people from doing those things I don't approve of them doing.
You can complain to someone, try to talk them out of it, but you have no legal authority to decide who has rights and who doesn't.
And that includes everything from disallowing gay people to marry, down to people trying to urinate on my lawn.
You have no legal right to prevent gay marriages. That's not even your life, yet you get so worked up you have to get involved with other people's private lives. Why not live your own life instead of letting others do it for you?

Sonofason

That is one major stretch. How did you even make that jump?
And, no, BTW, I would not allow 12 year olds to marry because their brains are not yet fully developed.

No, but I wouldn't stop you, tell you how wrong it is, or condemn you to Hell.

You can complain to someone, try to talk them out of it, but you have no legal authority to decide who has rights and who doesn't.

You have no legal right to prevent gay marriages. That's not even your life, yet you get so worked up you have to get involved with other people's private lives. Why not live your own life instead of letting others do it for you?
Good, and I will do everything in my power to prevent any man from marrying another man, or women from marrying other women. What do you have against minds that are not fully developed? I know a lot of democrats whose minds are not fully developed.
I can't condemn anyone to hell, but I sure can show them that God has said that He will.
I have every legal right to prevent gay marriages. I will vote for religious people, and we will establish laws that are good, and stop allowing people to do those things which are evil. And you will do nothing about that. And I will tell everyone I know how horrible an act sodomy is, and I will shame anyone who disagrees with me. And I will live my life according to the truth and righteousness of God.

Poisonshady313

At least with the electoral system, we are protected from the obvious fraudulent undertakings of a dishonest political party who will cheat and lie and do anything in their power to delegitimize an election that is perfectly legitimate.
I don't see the electoral college affording anyone any more protection against cheating as a popular vote would.

With different rules, and with everyone's vote being counted, campaign strategies would be different, voter turnout would be different... if this election were under a true popular vote, Trump could very possibly have won by a landslide.

After Trump takes office, lets really look at this, lets count all the votes, and I guarantee you Trump won the Popular vote too.
Maybe. But it doesn't matter.

I noticed a jurisdiction in Nevada where 137% of the eligible voters voted for Clinton. Hahaha such liars and cheats.

Unless you can prove foul play, this 137% number doesn't bother me so much.

"Eligible voters" are citizens above the age of 18, as determined by the census, which occurs every 10 years.

During that time people move, turn 18, change their mind about being unregistered, etc... plenty of reasons why previously uncounted "eligible voters" are voting in greater numbers than the census accounted for.

Sonofason

I don't see the electoral college affording anyone any more protection against cheating as a popular vote would.

With different rules, and with everyone's vote being counted, campaign strategies would be different, voter turnout would be different... if this election were under a true popular vote, Trump could very possibly have won by a landslide.

Maybe. But it doesn't matter.

Unless you can prove foul play, this 137% number doesn't bother me so much.

"Eligible voters" are citizens above the age of 18, as determined by the census, which occurs every 10 years.

During that time people move, turn 18, change their mind about being unregistered, etc... plenty of reasons why previously uncounted "eligible voters" are voting in greater numbers than the census accounted for.
At this point, if the popular vote counted, Hillary and the corrupt democratic party would have won. Once we delete all of the ineligible votes from her win she will be discovered to have actually lost.

Poisonshady313

At this point, if the popular vote counted, Hillary and the corrupt democratic party would have won.

I don't believe that for a moment. Different rules means different tactics, means different voter turnout. More people would have voted, including red voters in blue states. Swing states would become a lot more exciting. Why? Because all votes would actually matter.

Sonofason

I don't believe that for a moment. Different rules means different tactics, means different voter turnout. More people would have voted, including red voters in blue states. Swing states would become a lot more exciting. Why? Because all votes would actually matter.
Example, Hillary's people cheated. They even tried to pursuade the electors to change their votes and not vote according to the will of the people they represent. But the electors are smarter than those people and it turned out that they instead turned on the cheater. I think the electoral college is perfect. Although I do believe the big cities should get fewer votes. They are not representative of the rest of the country. It's the whole country that matters, the people who actually work for a living.

Poisonshady313

Example, Hillary's people cheated.
Different rules would mean different safeguards against cheating. I like the idea of standardizing voting methods nationwide, for example.

They even tried to pursuade the electors to change their votes and not vote according to the will of the people they represent. But the electors are smarter than those people and it turned out that they instead turned on the cheater.
But there's a chance it could have gone the other way. A very slim chance, but a chance none the less.

I think the electoral college is perfect. Although I do believe the big cities should get fewer votes.
You either think it's perfect, or you don't. Can't have it both ways.

Nous

Premium Member
Tens of millions of votes. That's exactly what would happen if you continue on with an electoral college system that not only permits, but requires electors to vote for someone other than who their own state voted for.
I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. There does not exist “an electoral college system that not only permits but requires electors to vote for someone other than who their own state voted for.” The Constitution gives to states plenary authority to choose how to award its electoral votes. Since the ratification of the Constitution, Massachusetts, for instance, has enacted 11 different methods for choosing and determining how its electors shall cast their votes. Currently in Maine and Nebraska, electors vote for the candidate who received the most votes in their district, not the winner of the state-wide popular vote. In all other states, electors pledge to vote for the candidate who wins the state-wide popular vote.

Under the operation of the NPVIC, no state by itself, including California, can determine who will be President. Under the NPVIC, who is elected President will be the candidate who is the winner of the national popular vote. There are no booby traps or hidden perils in that method of electing the President.

An elector represents approx 600,000 people.
False. In California an elector represents nearly 700,000 people; in Wyoming an elector represents less than 190,000. 2012 - 2020 Federal Representation by People per House Seat, Senate Seat, and Electors

There is no "moral dilemma" in states enacting the NPVIC. Its purpose is to achieve the same effect as electing the President by the national popular vote.

You may have misunderstood me. They give good reason for having the popular vote select the President, but ignore the fact that it involves keeping an electoral college, while effectively making it useless. Why do that?
The purpose of the NPVIC is to achieve the same effect as electing the President by national popular vote, but without the needless difficulty, expense, and time required to try to pass a constitutional amendment.

So far, not one of the numerous proposals to amend the electoral method of electing the President has ever gotten a reading in Congress, much less a vote, much less passed, much less gone to the states, much less gotten a vote by any state. In contrast, the NPVIC is more than halfway to having enough states to make it go into effect. It's easier for a state legislature to pass the NPVIC than it is to pass most state laws.

Nous

Premium Member
Where the hell did you get that idea?

What is it exactly that you believe the electoral method of electing the President does in order to "protect" us from the "fraudulent undertakings" of political parties.

Poisonshady313

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. There does not exist “an electoral college system that not only permits but requires electors to vote for someone other than who their own state voted for.”
You wouldn't know who wins the popular vote until just shortly before the electoral college meets in December... so we'd still be calling states on Election Day the same way we do now... and then those electors in states who agree to switch based on the national popular vote will be snatching victories out of the hands of states who voted the other way.

Under the operation of the NPVIC, no state by itself, including California, can determine who will be President. Under the NPVIC, who is elected President will be the candidate who is the winner of the national popular vote. There are no booby traps or hidden perils in that method of electing the President.
It would be better to have an actual popular vote.

False. In California an elector represents nearly 700,000 people; in Wyoming an elector represents less than 190,000. 2012 - 2020 Federal Representation by People per House Seat, Senate Seat, and Electors
In relation to its own population. But the true value of an electoral vote is constant. The fact that those electoral votes were distributed in a way that gives big states less EVs than they should have and small states more EVs than they should have just gives us another example of the unfairness of the system.

There is no "moral dilemma" in states enacting the NPVIC. Its purpose is to achieve the same effect as electing the President by the national popular vote.
Except you're not having just one election. You're still having 51 elections, and turning the winners from certain states into losers.

It would be like the world series being decided by the number of runs scored rather than the number of games won.

It undermines the process rather than enhances it. It takes away people's voice rather than giving it to them.

Want to give every voter a voice?? Switch to a real popular vote.

The purpose of the NPVIC is to achieve the same effect as electing the President by national popular vote, but without the needless difficulty, expense, and time required to try to pass a constitutional amendment.
Instead, we'll go through the needless difficulty, expense, and time required to maintain the facade of an Electoral College while ignoring its function completely. Have it or don't. But to have it and not use it is dishonest.

So far, not one of the numerous proposals to amend the electoral method of electing the President has ever gotten a reading in Congress, much less a vote, much less passed, much less gone to the states, much less gotten a vote by any state. In contrast, the NPVIC is more than halfway to having enough states to make it go into effect. It's easier for a state legislature to pass the NPVIC than it is to pass most state laws.

If the people were more aware and put pressure on Congress to do something about it, it might change. But people still believe the garbage they do about the EC, so the right course of action is to make them aware, make them realize how worthless their vote is unless they live in a swing state, and they'll begin to demand a change.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
c1f824227f2ed327a2b7bad4d6a41510dd3dcb05691d2b55f36cced12e588986.jpg