• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The flood in Genesis

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Sorry for taking so long to respond. I've been busy. The Bible contains a written record of ancient events and people; archaeology tries to recover information about these events and people by examining whatever traces of them can be found still remaining in the soil. However, these remains are usually very incomplete and open to various interpretations. In this regard, in his book Archaeology of the Land of the Bible—10,000−586 B.C.E., Amihai Mazar comments: “Archaeological field work . . . is to a great extent an art as well as a combination of training and professional skill. No rigid methodology can ensure success, and flexibility and creative thought by field directors are mandatory. The character, talent, and common sense of the archaeologist are no less important than his training and the resources available to him.” (italics and underline added). Mr. Mazar thus admits the limitations of archaeology as a definitive science.
Other archaeologists themselves admit the limitations of their science. Yohanan Aharoni, for example, explains: “When it comes to historical or historio-geographical interpretation, the archaeologist steps out of the realm of the exact sciences, and he must rely upon value judgements and hypotheses to arrive at a comprehensive historical picture.” Regarding the dates assigned to various discoveries, he adds: “We must always remember, therefore, that not all dates are absolute and are in varying degrees suspect”
You state "not one of [archaeologists] found evidence that a genesis deluge had flooded the world". Many archeologists do point to traditions of a flood in cultures around the world as evidence of a historical flood really occurring.
Prince Mikasa, a well-known archaeologist, stated: “Was there really a Flood? . . . The fact that the flood actually took place has been convincingly proved.”
There is abundant evidence for those willing to see it, as mentioned in previous posts.
Having said the above, disbelief by men, whatever their education, is no reason to reject Bible truth. Time and again, the Bible has proved to be accurate history, and time and again attackers of the Bible have been forced to recant.
I do not expect attacks on God's Word will stop. Nonetheless, sincere truth seekers should not allow these attacks to dissuade them from considering the evidence for themselves, and thus "Make sure of all things; hold fast to what is fine".
(I Thessalonians 5:21)

Listen to me very carefully here:

Erosion takes place over millions of years. If there was a flood, erosion patterns would have been pretty much destroyed. The clues are in mountain ranges. If the world was completely covered in water, erosion traits would be the same when the mountain composition is the same. The Rocky mountians erode much differently to the Appalachian Mountain ranges. Both ranges as a result of road cutting can be seen to exhibit great folding and sedimentary thrusted faults. So essentially they're the same (in basic terms) geologically, and about the same age.

Tell me, since we're all wrong and you're right, why this is the case?

I don't mean to push myself ahead of others here who disagree, but this is the second time i've posted this and im curious.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Sorry for taking so long to respond. I've been busy. The Bible contains a written record of ancient events and people; archaeology tries to recover information about these events and people by examining whatever traces of them can be found still remaining in the soil. However, these remains are usually very incomplete and open to various interpretations. In this regard, in his book Archaeology of the Land of the Bible—10,000−586 B.C.E., Amihai Mazar comments: “Archaeological field work . . . is to a great extent an art as well as a combination of training and professional skill. No rigid methodology can ensure success, and flexibility and creative thought by field directors are mandatory. The character, talent, and common sense of the archaeologist are no less important than his training and the resources available to him.” (italics and underline added). Mr. Mazar thus admits the limitations of archaeology as a definitive science.
Other archaeologists themselves admit the limitations of their science. Yohanan Aharoni, for example, explains: “When it comes to historical or historio-geographical interpretation, the archaeologist steps out of the realm of the exact sciences, and he must rely upon value judgements and hypotheses to arrive at a comprehensive historical picture.” Regarding the dates assigned to various discoveries, he adds: “We must always remember, therefore, that not all dates are absolute and are in varying degrees suspect”
You state "not one of [archaeologists] found evidence that a genesis deluge had flooded the world". Many archeologists do point to traditions of a flood in cultures around the world as evidence of a historical flood really occurring.
Prince Mikasa, a well-known archaeologist, stated: “Was there really a Flood? . . . The fact that the flood actually took place has been convincingly proved.”
There is abundant evidence for those willing to see it, as mentioned in previous posts.
Having said the above, disbelief by men, whatever their education, is no reason to reject Bible truth. Time and again, the Bible has proved to be accurate history, and time and again attackers of the Bible have been forced to recant.
I do not expect attacks on God's Word will stop. Nonetheless, sincere truth seekers should not allow these attacks to dissuade them from considering the evidence for themselves, and thus "Make sure of all things; hold fast to what is fine".
(I Thessalonians 5:21)

The fact that it is difficult for archeologists to establish absolute certainty is not a license to make up any weird crap and call it archeology. There is not a reputable archeologist on the planet who thinks there was a global flood 4000 years ago, for many reasons, not the least of which is that they study evidence of several ancient civilizations who continued to progress and keep written records before, during and after the purported "flood."

Arlanbb

Sorry for taking so long to respond. I've been busy. The Bible contains a written record of ancient events and people; archaeology tries to recover information about these events and people by examining whatever traces of them can be found still remaining in the soil. However, these remains are usually very incomplete and open to various interpretations. In this regard, in his book Archaeology of the Land of the Bible—10,000−586 B.C.E., Amihai Mazar comments: “Archaeological field work . . . is to a great extent an art as well as a combination of training and professional skill. No rigid methodology can ensure success, and flexibility and creative thought by field directors are mandatory. The character, talent, and common sense of the archaeologist are no less important than his training and the resources available to him.” (italics and underline added). Mr. Mazar thus admits the limitations of archaeology as a definitive science. Yes, there are limitations in archaeology but that in no way detracts from the evidence that is found that shows that the Egyptian empire was in existance and had may Kings that lives from about 3,200 BC down to about 60 BC without any break in the Kings list. In your statement before you claim that the Genesis deluge happened about 4000 years ago but that means that the Genesis deluge had to have happened about 2000 BC. Now correct me if I'm wrong but that puts the Genesis deluge right in the middle of the Egyptian empire. Acording to the bible all people alive before the Genesis deluge died during the deluge except for 8 people. So please tell us how come the Egyptian empire thrived before and after the Genesis deluge of 2000BC?

Other archaeologists themselves admit the limitations of their science. Yohanan Aharoni, for example, explains: “When it comes to historical or historio-geographical interpretation, the archaeologist steps out of the realm of the exact sciences, and he must rely upon value judgements and hypotheses to arrive at a comprehensive historical picture.” Regarding the dates assigned to various discoveries, he adds: “We must always remember, therefore, that not all dates are absolute and are in varying degrees suspect” Do you know why all the dates are Not absolute? Here is an example of what they are talking about. My birth date is Feb. 1, 1932. I know this to be true because my mother told me that, because she was there, and the hospital records say I was born in that hospital, and the county has a record from the doctor that i was born on that date etc. etc. THAT IS AN ABSOLUTE DATE FOR MY BIRTH. Now when we look at the Old Kingdon of Egypt like King Khufu, Greek called him Cheops. He is virtually eclipsed by his monument resting place, the great Great Pyramid at Giza. Most of what we know about his reign comes from tombs in the vicinity of the colossal monument. Little in the way of hard historical facts emerges from these sources. Even the King's features would escape us, were it not for a single tiny statuette about three inches high. We have no positive date as to when he was born and when he died. But we do have indication of when his Pyramid was built from items that were left in his tomb and wood that was left in the pyramid during its construction. From these bits of information and information from Kings after him archaeologist are able to come up with a general Idea of when he was king and when his pyramid was constructed within about 50 years + or - a general date. In the book "Ancient Egypt" Dr. Silverman list his kingdom from 2585-2560 BC. From that information we know that the Great Pyramid was built about 400 years before the Genesis deluge and wouldn't the surging waters of the deluge have covered up the great pyramid and filled it full of dirt and leave evidence of the salt water which would have destroyed all the plaster walls that had writings on them?

You state "not one of [archaeologists] found evidence that a genesis deluge had flooded the world". Many archeologists do point to traditions of a flood in cultures around the world as evidence of a historical flood really occurring. Yes, almost every where you go there is a history of flooding in cultures but all those were local floods and people in the local areas were still alive to record them after they happened. In the biblical flooding No people were left alive to record floods in the local different cultures so they have to be completely different events.

Prince Mikasa, a well-known archaeologist, stated: “Was there really a Flood? . . . The fact that the flood actually took place has been convincingly proved.” Here we have one archaeologist that says the Genesis flood "has been convincingly proven" without evidence and I have over 300 archaeologist that say they have never found any evidence of a Genesis deluge in the last 12,000 years. Who is not telling the true? Prince Mikasa or 300 world famous archaeologist?? Are 300 mostly Christians archaeologist lying to us?? Why would they do that?? What do you do with all the Kings of Egypt that lived before and after the Genesis deluge? I would like to here how you answer my questions?
There is abundant evidence for those willing to see it, as mentioned in previous posts. Where?:D........................

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Prince Mikasa, the oldest member of the Japanese royal family? Is on record as asserting that there was a Biblical flood? I think those Watchtower people are lying to you, rusra. Can you produce the full quote in context? I doubt its authenticity, and speculate it's a quote mine, but do not myself have access to Monarchs and Tombs and Peoples.