• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Fountainhead

Aasimar

Atheist
Heyas, just started reading a book by Ayn Rand called "The Fountainhead."

If you've never heard of Ayn Rand, she founded her own philosophy known as Deterministic Objectivism. It's a pretty good book so far, about 170/700 pages into it so far. Have "Atlas Shrugged" Also but one step at a time. Highly recommended to free-thinkers or just anyone interested in this philosophy. The main character is the most indifferent person imaginable, he cracks me up.

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
If you've never heard of Ayn Rand, she founded her own philosophy known as Deterministic Objectivism.

She never used the word "deterministic". It's just "Objectivism".

Great book, btw. I'm reading it now. I'm right towards the end.

BTW, a passable movie adaption was made of The Fountainhead, using a screenplay Ayn Rand wrote. After you finish the novel, I recommend you find it and watch it. It's in black and white, and stars Gary Cooper and Patricia Neal.

eudaimonia,

Mark

MotoEric

The Fountainhead was a good book, but Atlas Shrugged was fantastic. Check it out. If you enjoy fantasy novels, The Sword of Truth series is very objectivist in nature.

There have been rumors of an Atlas Shrugged movie recently, with Angelina Jolie who is apparently a fan of Rand.

Eric

BTW, Rands life reads like one of her novels. Check out one of the biographies. She taught Alan Greenspan, was friends with Frank Lloyd Wright, wrote hollywood screenplays shortly after arriving in the US from Russia, testified at the HUAC trials, heavily influenced the Libertarian party and more.

Booko

Deviled Hen
The Fountainhead was a good book, but Atlas Shrugged was fantastic. Check it out. If you enjoy fantasy novels, The Sword of Truth series is very objectivist in nature.

The Fountainhead is more accessible generably, but I prefered Atlas Shrugged also.

There have been rumors of an Atlas Shrugged movie recently, with Angelina Jolie who is apparently a fan of Rand.

Now she could make a fantastic Dagny Taggart.

I liked the movie version of Fountainhead well enough, well, I rather like Gary Cooper anyway, but I'd love to see an updated version of that too.

BTW, Rands life reads like one of her novels. Check out one of the biographies. She taught Alan Greenspan, was friends with Frank Lloyd Wright, wrote hollywood screenplays shortly after arriving in the US from Russia, testified at the HUAC trials, heavily influenced the Libertarian party and more.

Yup, she had quite an influence on parts of our society.

Libertarian ideas are quite popular here in Georgia. Arguably more so than in any of the other states. Much of that is due to one of our local talk show hosts (Boortz) who has since been syndicated, who brings the idea forth that there's more to political views than "conservative" and "liberal" or "Republican" and "Democrat."

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Rand was born in Russia and lived through the revolution. She experienced first-hand the excesses and mismanagement of Soviet "Communism, " and was forever scarred by it.
Her books are brilliant and inspirational. But history has shown that unrestricted Capitalism can lead to excsses just as repressive as Communism.