• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Great British Class calculator

Alceste

Vagabond
in the UK if you are on welfare you are essentially "renting" its just your rent is being paid for by the state.

Even if you are a traveller you will be paying v. small amounts of temporary land rental. There is little to no "common land" in UK so its nearly impossible to be "neither"

When I lived in Cornwall most people our age (30s) lived with their parents.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
did you mean hippies? I had a whole answer typed out until I saw that... whats a happie please? :p

Where would you have put yourself out of interest?

Not hippies! We're not cool enough! No..... we are HAPPIES, as in 'can't stop chuckling and giggling together! Totally daft!'

Where would we have put ourselves? Answer:- 'Completely outside the social and class system'. Honestly....... we have forsaken anything to do with class.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
According to that survey, my wife and I are "Elite"...
We are 26 years old... Yeah, I highly doubt that survey is anywhere near accurate.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
It placed me in Established Middle class which I'd say was correct.
When my wife goes back to work the survey should place us into the Established Middle Class as well, although I still wouldn't find it an accurate classification. What I agree about definitions for classes such as 'new affluent workers' is the definition of culturally and socially engaged people, economically stable but not rich.
The classes which go above and below that, are really very traditional to the British mindset and landscape. In some regards they may make sense in the UK, at least from the social differences I have observed when I lived in the UK, but I don't think it is accurate to where I live now, or to other places in the world.

Last edited:

Wherenextcolumbus

We're emergent service workers.

Funny thing is, I ticked off every box on the list of who you know except accountant, cleaner and secretary.

I also thought it was odd that "rent" and "own" were the only two choices. Many of the people I know can afford neither.

I'm an emergent service worker also

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
According to that survey, my wife and I are "Elite"...
We are 26 years old... Yeah, I highly doubt that survey is anywhere near accurate.

It may be that you are thinking in $ rather than £??
But you own your house, earn a high wage and have decent savings? That makes you elite - and at 26 impressive :D
If you own your own house and have savings you are in the top third of the country.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
But you own your house, earn a high wage and have decent savings? That makes you elite - and at 26 impressive :D
We own a place, until my wife goes into the Israeli market we are paying the bills from my salary, which I wouldn't consider a high income wage although it's a bit relative since I have other important benefits such as having all car expanses and fuel taken care of by my work place (perhaps not entirely uncommon today, but nothing to be taken for granted either). Unlike many other people we do have decent savings.
I don't see how that would make us close to elite or 'established' which I tend to associate with 'wealthy'.
If you own your own house and have savings you are in the top third of the country.
That I believe I can agree with, but there is still a world of difference between being economically stable or secured to being wealthy.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Technical Middle Class.

How's a working class northerner supposed to hate the middle class if one has been redesignated???!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Owning land and buying a home might be a bit cheaper and easier in the states than it is in the U.K.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
What's with the contant drive to divide people? Instead of looking for differences and separating British people into arbitrary classes, we should be looking for commonalities that unite all Brits, such as gnarly teeth and an inability to cook a decent meal.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
I made a slight adjustment for the currency issue, so its not that. While we doe have some savings and an IRA, it is still very small, and we rent.

The survey also does not take into consideration things like debt. While on paper my wife and I may make quite a bit of money, but when you take into account that almost 40% of our income goes to student loans, the picture drastically changes.

Alceste

Vagabond
What's with the contant drive to divide people? Instead of looking for differences and separating British people into arbitrary classes, we should be looking for commonalities that unite all Brits, such as gnarly teeth and an inability to cook a decent meal.

You got something against boiled meat?