• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The idea of pure awareness

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Is pure awareness a gateway to something that transcends us or is it something that just happens in our heads. Does it matter?
Doesn't being involve thought emotion etc? Can we escape that or do we just trick ourselves into thinking we do?
I have felt what I consider to be moments of pure awareness, I rationalize them as God but I do not see my rationalization as superior to anybody else's - It's just my way. I am caught on the idea that these moments of 'selflessness' (which are very valuable to me) are meaningless without me.
It seems our mind operates as a series of snapshots, if I slow my mind down by meditating or through some kind of manouevering myself into a hypnotic-like awareness have I dropped my ego or have I just slowed things down and tricked myself?

lunamoth

Will to love
I think what you describe is an alternative experience of how we exist that illuminates our interconnectedness with all of creation. We can experience this through thinking and the pure awareness you descirbe is a way of experiencing it through feeling.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Is pure awareness a gateway to something that transcends us or is it something that just happens in our heads. Does it matter?
Are questions posed to offer only two alternatives false dichotomy or are they unanswerable?

Doesn't being involve thought emotion etc? Can we escape that or do we just trick ourselves into thinking we do?
All the world (everthing, including thought) is One Bright Pearl. No matter which way you look at it, one bright pearl. If you turn it over, and over again: one bright pearl. Whether you keep in safe in your pocket or throw it away: one bright pearl. Even if we "trick ourselves" into belief that one bright pearl is not one bright pearl: one bright pearl.

Probably not helpful.

I have felt what I consider to be moments of pure awareness, I rationalize them as God but I do not see my rationalization as superior to anybody else's - It's just my way. I am caught on the idea that these moments of 'selflessness' (which are very valuable to me) are meaningless without me.
It seems our mind operates as a series of snapshots, if I slow my mind down by meditating or through some kind of manouevering myself into a hypnotic-like awareness have I dropped my ego or have I just slowed things down and tricked myself?
How do you trick "what is"?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member

Hi stephenw, the realization of pure awareness beyond the conceptual idea of it, is the goal of religious practice and can't be realized through any knowledge possessed by the human mind.

Human beings can apply their intellect to religious ideals for ever and it will not bring about the realization of pure awareness, for it is only when the human intellect ceases discrimination in this phenomenal world of opposites that the PURE AWARENESS may be realized.

"Be still and know that I am God"...non-duality,..pure oneness.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Stephenw,
Those moments of *ONENESS* with existence has been few and lasted few seconds but can never express them as was never present.
However practice continues at all times to slow down to that level where everything stands STILL as the MIND itself has to STILL completely.
Best Wishes.
Love & rgds