• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The literal & infallible word of God

A

angellous_evangellous

I think I'll always need a Greek lexicon.

As for Hebrew, I took one semester 28 years ago; I don't even remember the alphabet. :eek:

Ha! The alphabet can be challenging. :D I don't remember how many semesters I had, but I'm glad it's over.

There are books of Greek roots, suffixes/prefixes, and other morphological tags that can help you figure out a word without looking it up. If you memorize these (I estimate about 400 tags?) you can dramatically reduce the amount of time you spend looking up words - and you'll always at least know where to look.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Me too. Reading the Bible is not the same thing as studying it, and claiming to have read it in both Hebrew and Greek is a bit fantastic (in the sense that it's not very realistic to believe a claim that someone has done it). I do know folks who have mastered both languages and have done it, but these are remarkable people who don't need the lexicon. I am weening myself off of the Greek lexicons, but I have no intention of learning Hebrew that well.

Reading both languages without one would be impressive. Reading the Bible nine times is not.
Lexicons are for wimps. Don't you know that a simple, cursory reading of Biblical texts in King James English is all that is necessary...or authorized, for that matter?

Smoke

Done here.
I wonder what tattoo God would get?
She's got a full back tat:

ganesha-1.jpg

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I love it when I have epiphanies like this! perhaps I should found a new church, based upon this new understanding. We could call it: "The Church of the Presumptuous Assumption of the Blinding Light." Located just off Route 37, on the frontage road.