• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The morality of "checking someone out"

WhatGod

it would seem that 'checking someone out' refers to their physical appearance.
I would say their sexual appearance in particular. So far as a I know, all mammals and many other species as well, will check out anyone that seems to have potential as a mate.

Judging someone by their physical appearance indicates that you may only be interested in them physically...not emotionally or mentally.

Why is that wrong? Because a person is more then the sum of their parts.

So? Some one walking down the street with a nice A$S can be enjoyed for the quality of that A$S without any sort of detriment to their mental or emotion qualities. If I like how food looks does that mean I like how it tastes or smells less?

WhatGod

Ah but we're not talking about simply finding someone attractive.

Finding some one attractive [requires] checking them out. Without that you have no means by which to form an opinion concerning their attractiveness.

Last edited:

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Finding some one attractive request checking them out. Without that you have no means by which to form an opinion concerning their attractiveness.

This is the solution to the dilemma, I think. Thanks!

Ignoring the debate of moral relativism and the banal idea that lust is bad, what is the morality of checking a man or woman out? Does it depend how they carry themselves? Is it a violation to do something such as staring at someone's rear end? Etc.

Well I can only speak for myself. As a man, if I was walking around in public in say just shorts & flip-flops, I think that I wouldn't like being stared at but I would try to just ignore it. But I think that some people like their body being stared at.

Depending on the woman and situation I might stare at a woman's body in the public and I don't know if that is moral or immoral.

Peace.