• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Mystic Gene

Bathsheba

**{{}}**
Is it true that people who don't "get" mysticism are just lacking the mystic gene?

Fun question, I don't know the answer. The old "nature" vs "nuture" problem comes to mind. I'm thinking we could train people to think they were mystics even if they lacked the genetic material.

Here are some interesting books that come to mind.

Amazon.com: Why God Won't Go Away: Brain Science and the Biology of Belief: Books: Andrew Newberg,Eugene D'Aquili,Vince Rause

Amazon.com: The God Gene: How Faith is Hardwired into our Genes: Books: Dean H. Hamer

Amazon.com: Why People Believe Weird Things: Pseudoscience, Superstition, and Other Confusions of Our Time: Books: Michael Shermer,Stephen Jay Gould

Isabella Lecour

amor aeternus est
Is it true that people who don't "get" mysticism are just lacking the mystic gene?

Yes, only if they just don't "get" music!

I think mysticism is a learned trait and skill, instead of genetics.

I think music speaks to the soul just as mysticism is the soul speaking out.
If one just doesn't get music, they just might not have a soul.

[The deaf are exceptions, but they can be moved in by other means; like lower frequency sounds that vibrate the body.]