• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Oldest Language In The World?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You're all wrong!!!

It was "Ugh ugh"
"Ugh! Ugh-ugh-ugh ugh-ugh"
"gah... ugh"

I'm shocked! You should be ashamed of yourself for trying to correct Zephyr's crude and scatalogical exemplar, which I properly elected to ignore. You are both of you rude and vulgar!
How language like this got by RF'S obscenity filters is a mystery to me.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well that's easier. Civilization (division of labour, monumental archetecture, writing, &c) is a lot more recent than language, and leaves archaeological evidence.

I expect you're referring to Harrappa or Mohenjo-Daro (sp?)?

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Hmmm, I thought the Sumerians invented the first language?
Tamil? 300 BC
Sanskrit? 250 BC
Sumerian - before 1000 BC

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
I know it's only Wikipedia but this is where I got my info
List of languages by first written accounts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also: Oldest Written Form
Some people base their answer on which language got written down first. If you're counting absolute oldest, probably Sumerian or Egyptian wins because they developed a writing system first (both start appearing in about 3200 BC). If you're counting surviving languages, Chinese is often cited (first written in 1500 BC), but Greek is a possible tie because it was written in Linear B beginning ca. 1500 BC.*

Ask A Linguist FAQ: Oldest Language

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
The Rigved is the oldest script in the world, written in Sanskrit...
Any links to back this up? Everywhere I look so far points to Sumerians and Egyptians

It is also one of the oldest texts of any Indo-European language. Philological and linguistic evidence indicate that the Rigveda was composed in the Sapta Sindhu (a land of seven great rivers), which is the region around present-day Punjab, roughly between 1500–1000 BCE (the early Vedic period).

The clicks made by the San people of southern Africa and the Hadzabe of East Africa are the linguistic equivalent of living fossils preserved from a much older and more primitive tongue, probably spoken by most of the humans who lived more than 40,000 years ago.
African click language 'holds key to origins of earliest human speech' - Science, News - The Independent

BillBo

To be argumentative, as is my want at nearly midnight, the oldest 'language' will undoubtedly belong to our earliest ancestors. Indeed, 'language' could be said to be used even by many animals!

As far as the earliest 'written language' goes this again is disputable. Their are mesolithlithic artifacts and early neolithic artifacts that seem to contain markings that have been diagnosed as a number recording system, and this would thus make them admisable as a form of 'writing'. Though the general concept is that the oldest 'known' whole written language is indeed sanskrit.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Well, to continue my diatribe . . . LOL!
Raghav: you have nothing but respect from me, I have read plenty of your posts on many others subjects . . . you da Man!
Down to brass tacts, the primordial language was and still is . . . MUSICK!