• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Only Rule is Don't Get Caught

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
So I stole this phrase from Gjallarhorn and I think it is a good rule, I mean what a person doesn't know doesn't hurt them.

When my mom found out I was doing something that is highly considered illegal after finding it in my room, she asked me "Do you have any manners?" It just ticked into my mind to be a smarty hardy and say "My only rule is to not get caught."

...she flipped the hell out. I asked what was wrong with that rule and she didn't answer so I figured I'd ask you guys.

What is wrong with that being your only rule, IYO?

4consideration

Premium Member
It sounds like "she flipped" after you indicated a personal philosophy of "My only rule is to not get caught." It does not sound like "she flipped" upon discovering what she discovered. Is that correct?

Assuming that I understand it accurately, I will say that as a parent I would also be really bothered if I believed my child's personal ethics allowed for any behavior -- with the only focus being on not getting caught. I would be bothered to think that not only could they justify the most extreme of destructive behavior, but that same philosophy would allow for extreme and destructive bahavior against anyone that poses a threat to that person getting caught.

IMO such a philosophy may seem benign when applied to relatively harmless, victimless scenarios. It is quite another thing, and potentially very harmful, applied to RL adult situations.

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
If you harbor something illegal in someone else's house, you put them at risk.

This

It sounds like "she flipped" after you indicated a personal philosophy of "My only rule is to not get caught." It does not sound like "she flipped" upon discovering what she discovered. Is that correct?

Assuming that I understand it accurately, I will say that as a parent I would also be really bothered if I believed my child's personal ethics allowed for any behavior -- with the only focus being on not getting caught. I would be bothered to think that not only could they justify the most extreme of destructive behavior, but that same philosophy would allow for extreme and destructive bahavior against anyone that poses a threat to that personal getting caught.

IMO such a philosophy may seem benign when applied to relatively harmless, victimless scenarios. It is quite another thing, and potentially very harmful, applied to RL adult situations.

and this.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
It is the mantra of today's children, lie and deny at all costs.

My daughter did not break her cellphone, her cellphone got broken.

She did not wreck her car, her tires lost traction.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd echo what 4consideration said. A philosophy of "don't get caught" suggests a complete lack of moral scruples. With an ethical philosophy limited to "don't get caught" there is no reason to not murder people, steal from people, like to people, and be a generally irresponsible and reprehensible $#@%wad.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
As a mother, I'd be very worried that you are going to turn out to be a selfish and careless person. I'd feel like a failure.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
So I stole this phrase from Gjallarhorn and I think it is a good rule, I mean what a person doesn't know doesn't hurt them.

When my mom found out I was doing something that is highly considered illegal after finding it in my room, she asked me "Do you have any manners?" It just ticked into my mind to be a smarty hardy and say "My only rule is to not get caught."

...she flipped the hell out. I asked what was wrong with that rule and she didn't answer so I figured I'd ask you guys.

I wager that she took it to mean that she failed not only on one front (not having the illegal whatever in the first place) but also on the second front (the attitude that any/everything is fine so long as you do not get caught) and on yet another front (your **** got caught).

That's three strikes in a matter of minutes.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
It is the mantra of today's children, lie and deny at all costs.

My daughter did not break her cellphone, her cellphone got broken.

She did not wreck her car, her tires lost traction.
Ah yes.
My daughters both have also exhibited the classic "not my fault" symptoms the latest generation has been clinging to.

Let me sue McDonalds because I am overweight....

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

What if your mom decided to hit you across the face with a belt? Would it be okay if she didn't get caught?

The Sum of Awe

What if your mom decided to hit you across the face with a belt? Would it be okay if she didn't get caught?

It would only be relatively bad. If it's good to her it's good to someone. Who cares about an individual's opinion?

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Are you asking this question to explore a philosophical idea or because you actually believe it?

Both. I think I understand why my mom was mad, just wish we'd have debated morality right then and there.

One individual's opinions out of everyone's becomes meaningless once someone disagrees, because a murderer's opinion is no better or worse than a complete "moral" man's.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
The biggest problem with the "don't get caught" thing is that if everyone followed it, we'd end up with Drow (Dark Elves, for the non-nerds) society.

I think I'd rather not, thank you very much.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Both. I think I understand why my mom was mad, just wish we'd have debated morality right then and there.

One individual's opinions out of everyone's becomes meaningless once someone disagrees, because a murderer's opinion is no better or worse than a complete "moral" man's.

Your mum has all the right to be angry and disappointed if you are doing something illegal, especially if you are still legally not an adult and if you are doing it in her home.

In this particular instance, I don't think a debate about morality would have been appropriate. It would be appropriate if you weren't doing the illegal thing (or if she didn't know) and you were just having a conversation. But you basically have no argument because in this case your actions are only irresponsible.

I also disagree with your idea that one person's opinion is meaningless. Every opinion has meaning and influence. But just because someone has an opinion doesn't make them right.

Last edited: