• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "only true religion"

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Three questions here...

1. Do you believe the religion you have chosen to be the only "true" religion?
2. If the answer to question #1 is "yes," what exactly does that mean to you?
3. If the answer to question #1 is "yes," what do you believe will be the fate of those who do not share your beliefs?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Nope. It would be depressing if it were. Any religion which is gifted with enough people of sincere intent and sufficient wisdom is by definition true.
Thanks for getting the ball rolling. I'm confused, though. How does a sufficient number of sincere and wise people believing something make it true?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Thanks for getting the ball rolling. I'm confused, though. How does a sufficient number of sincere and wise people believing something make it true?
Because they will find the truth eventually, on those few and not particularly important matters that involve belief as such.

But even more because they will create the critical mass of mutual support, teaching and encouragement that is true religion as I understand it.

It will take many forms, of course.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Three questions here...

Not a religion but a belief. I did not choose it but t was given me imho. It is true according to me.
It is my life.
3. If the answer to question #1 is "yes," what do you believe will be the fate of those who do not share your beliefs?
I don't give it much thought really. I believe every soul will reap what it has sown.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Because they will find the truth eventually, on those few and not particularly important matters that involve belief as such.
Oh, that's definitely a keeper! I like that!

But even more because they will create the critical mass of mutual support, teaching and encouragement that is true religion as I understand it.
I guess what I was getting at was more along the lines of whether or not absolute truth even exists and how important it is that we find it. Just as a very general example, I would say that a "Higher Power" either exists or it does not. There is no middle ground. No "sort of." I believe that, provided such a Higher Power does exist, this is an absolute truth, and that someday (in some other realm other than this mortal one), this will be a verifiable fact. Meanwhile, I think that figuring out what this absolute truth is can be very, very tricky and not as important as some people seem to think it is.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Oh, that's definitely a keeper! I like that!

I guess what I was getting at was more along the lines of whether or not absolute truth even exists and how important it is that we find it. Just as a very general example, I would say that a "Higher Power" either exists or it does not. There is no middle ground. No "sort of." I believe that, provided such a Higher Power does exist, this is an absolute truth, and that someday (in some other realm other than this mortal one), this will be a verifiable fact. Meanwhile, I think that figuring out what this absolute truth is can be very, very tricky and not as important as some people seem to think it is.

Oh, absolute truth does exist, and there is definitely a part of it that it is very important to realize.

I don't think it includes any specific statements about higher powers or afterlives, though. It does instead deal with things such as whether we should attempt to reach harmony with other people, to which extent and at which cost.

Popcorn

What is it?
Three questions here...

#1 -- Difficult question. If Christianity was meant for everyone then there would be nothing else. Myself, it's more about what is happening, not wishful thinking, but to know by experience. God is God anyways, which is to say that God's existence doesn't require anyone to believe it, faith is a gift. Whether faith is a blessing or a curse, that is subjective.

#2 -- Mostly philosophical, although it depends upon whether or not others are prepared to receive whatever I can offer, and whether or not I am prepared to give whatever others need. For example, I cannot afford to feed every starving person, I don't have the knowledge or resources to build a house for every homeless person, etc.

#3 -- I don't know that with any certainty.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Nice questions. I guess I have to be honest, I do believe my faith is correct for others. Though, Im not a big evangelizer.
Yes.
2. If the answer to question #1 is "yes," what exactly does that mean to you
For lack of better terms, Id say Im a holistic pagan. There are many definitions of paganism, and i agree with that which believers give reverence to the earth. What it means to me is to live according to the earth. Eat foods in season. Take care of oneself with natural means (though very expensive). Practicing magic (which is a word I dislike) is prayer in action. I venerate my ancesters and recently departed. Things like that.

Living holisticly means a lot to me because I believe body is just as important as the spirit. As such, to connect the two we live in union with the ground we live on.

Disharmony with their home. I find if one doesnt know their history, who they are by their family and where they live and grow up, they miss a part of themselves. I see a lot of other faiths that focus on belief and/or practice. Yet, they disconnect themselves from their home looking for their future home.

With eastern faiths, buddhist specifically, I like how they view the mind as the source of all things we believe and experience. Its a good foundation to balance ones spiritual life with the physical. Yet, some customary practices do not focus directly on connection with the earth but with the mind. Its like christianity focus on the spirit first. Many buddhist focus on mind first.

Yet, when living holistically, all connects. Nonone over the other. Without the holistic outlook, there will always be in my view a missing component to other faiths. If holistic practice is incorporated in their belief, it will help. I feel the practice stands on its own feet.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
No one religion holds a monopoly on, or contains "all truth", at least none of the ones humanity has encountered. Because if it did, there wouldn't be any debate about it. It would unfailingly be able to conquer all moral dilemmas in such a way as everyone would agree to, without the need for bickering. It would be self-evident once you encountered it. And if said religion contained a "creation story" or "origin story" for the universe, it too would be 100% right, with no room for doubt.

Such a thing has not been encountered, and I question whether it exists. So, with that in mind I believe in what stirs me. Whether it works for others is incidental.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Three questions here...

1. No

There is only one "true" religion, and that is G-d's religion. G-d keeps trying to reach us, in ways we can understand.

Just as there is many different peoples, with different natures, we get many different religions.

Each a mere shadow of G-d's religion.

'True' for the target group, but none universal.

What most think is that a religion must be universal to be 'true'. This is not possible, the way people are now.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I myself believe if you thin k your religion is the only true one, then you really need to take a hard look at your beliefs, for me religion is a personal thing, it has nothing to do with anyone else, you can only truly know what you know, taking other peoples beliefs and adhering to that belief is robbing yourself of your true inner Self, or you true inner religion. We need to stop clinging to old beliefs of thousands of years ago, they served their purpose then, but they are useless now, in our day and age.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
1. Yes.
2. A religion which has NO conflict with modern science.
3. Fate of the people is the same whether they believe the true religion or a false religion. It is the grave (for Abrahamics), the funeral pyre (for Dharmic religions), and various other ways for the minor religions (exposure, etc.); followed by atomic recycling.

raph

A religion can only be true for an individual. True religion is inside you, and sice you are different than I, your true religion will be different than my true religion.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
A religion can only be true for an individual. True religion is inside you, and sice you are different than I, your true religion will be different than my true religion.
That was beautifully said, but you will notice that most wont take any notice of what you said, for the ego wants more.