• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "only true religion"

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Three questions here...

1. Do you believe the religion you have chosen to be the only "true" religion?
2. If the answer to question #1 is "yes," what exactly does that mean to you?
3. If the answer to question #1 is "yes," what do you believe will be the fate of those who do not share your beliefs?
  1. No.
  2. n/a
  3. n/a

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Three questions here...

3. If the answer to question #1 is "yes," what do you believe will be the fate of those who do not share your beliefs?

No, it's true only for me and those who practice my religion. There is no single absolute truth.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Also, saying your religion is the one true religion just means that that your reality is how you see everything. You can tell others they have their own truth, and at the end of the day, you still have your shades on. There is only one reality to the person who sees it. And to them their belief/how they see the world is the onenl true faith.

Its imposing what you define as reality for All (aka how you see the world not just yourself) is were confrentations arise.

Its alright to say "there is only One true faith" AND I respect others faith who disagree with me.

Muffled

Jesus in me
1. No I believe Islam to be a true religion. Judaism might qualify if it were not so far from God in its present state. Other religions have some truth but I believe have some things that are false as well.

2. I believe it doesn't impact me much because I believe in following the best religion.

3. I believe it will be difficult for a non-Christian to get into the Kingdom of God and/or Heaven. I also believe a non-Christian will be more likely to sin.

Last edited:

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Yes.

That there is only One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.

The most hardline approach is the belief in the automatic damnation of those outside a valid church (a church with valid sacraments and apostolic succession). I take a much more moderate position that those in genuine ignorance or misunderstanding cannot be held to account for what they could not have reasonably been expected to accept, therefore anyone who does not wilfully reject what they deep down know to be truth can be saved. It will be up for God to judge.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Nope. It would be depressing if it were. Any religion which is gifted with enough people of sincere intent and sufficient wisdom is by definition true.
How are you defining "true"? I did some research, and it seems that it refers to something that is accurate or exact or is in accordance with fact or reality. How would the number of adherents of a system of belief fulfill that definition?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
1. No I believe Islam to be a true religion. Judaism might qualify if it were not so far from God in its present state. Other religions have some truth but I believe have some things that are false as well.

2. I believe it doesn't impact me much because I believe in following the best religion.

3. I believe it will be difficult for a non-Christian to get into the Kingdom of God and/or Heaven. I also believe a non-Christian will be more likely to sin.

I am not very confident that 3) is true.

The only people who were not simple Christians but had clear evidence of God, by talking to the three of Them every day, were Adam and Eve. And they sinned, apparently. Statistically, that does not bode well.

Ciao

- viole

Reactions: gsa

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Nope. That's like saying there's only one "true" favorite color or only one "true" style of underwear. Rather ridiculous, really. :D
Ironically, by saying that religion is basically an aesthetic preference, you're effectively saying that any religion that holds itself out as objectively true (i.e. most of them) are false.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I am not very confident that 3) is true.

The only people who were not simple Christians but had clear evidence of God, by talking to the three of Them every day, were Adam and Eve. And they sinned, apparently. Statistically, that does not bode well.

Ciao

- viole

I believe 3. has three parts a. Kingdom of God b. Heaven and c. sin. Do you lack confidence in all three?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Ironically, by saying that religion is basically an aesthetic preference, you're effectively saying that any religion that holds itself out as objectively true (i.e. most of them) are false.

I disagree that this is an implication, as well as with the suggestion that most religions hold themselves as "objectively true,"
but you're certainly free to believe otherwise.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Yes.

That there is only One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.

The most hardline approach is the belief in the automatic damnation of those outside a valid church (a church with valid sacraments and apostolic succession). I take a much more moderate position that those in genuine ignorance or misunderstanding cannot be held to account for what they could not have reasonably been expected to accept, therefore anyone who does not wilfully reject what they deep down know to be truth can be saved. It will be up for God to judge.

I believe the Roman Catholic Church does not qualify. First it is not the one church since the one church is made up of many churches. Second it is not holy now and has not been holy in the past. Third it traded in Catholicism for elitism Fourth the claims to apostolic succession are spurious since the church has severed itself from the apostles by its beliefs.

I believe this to be a false belief.

I believe this is vague enough to incorporate a lot of things that aren't valid and I think it may also be false.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Do you think Pope Francis would take a view more similar to yours? I am incredibly impressed by this man and it's hard for me to imagine that he would say I'm going to be damned for not being a Catholic.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Three questions here...

My beliefs are true for me. I don't expect them to be true for anyone else. Though I'm often pleasantly surprised when I find others who share similar beliefs.

I don't even know what my fate will be so I don't presume to know the fate of others.

Akivah

1. My religion is true for me.
2. It works for me and I believe in it.
3. The same as me. We will all eventually get to Heaven.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Three questions here...

My religion is true; that does not mean that other religions are not-true. All revealed religions were truthful in origin, later the narrators/scribes/clergy changed the teaching of the original founder.

Regards

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I disagree that this is an implication, as well as with the suggestion that most religions hold themselves as "objectively true," but you're certainly free to believe otherwise.
They certainly don't hold themselves out as mere matters of personal preference, generally. I don't know of any religion that preaches that it's as unimportant as ice cream flavour choice.

And you most certainly imply that many religions are false. For instance, many Christians believe that it's vitally important that every single person accept Christ and become Christian. When you say that it's just as good to be a non-Christian as it is to be Christian, you contradict a central tenet of his faith.

Now... this is a tenet that I disagree with myself, but I acknowledge that by holding this position, I'm implying that this Christian is wrong.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
They certainly don't hold themselves out as mere matters of personal preference, generally. I don't know of any religion that preaches that it's as unimportant as ice cream flavour choice.

That's not what I intended to convey. It's interesting that you decided to interpret it that way.

And you most certainly imply that many religions are false. For instance, many Christians believe that it's vitally important that every single person accept Christ and become Christian. When you say that it's just as good to be a non-Christian as it is to be Christian, you contradict a central tenet of his faith.

I don't recall saying that it's "just as good" to be X and to be Y, and if you choose to read such implications into what I said (in spite of it not being what I said) that is your decision and you are free to do so. I'm telling you, for the second time, that I do not see things that way. That some religions feel they are the "one true way" in no way makes them false. I do not view religions in terms of being "true" or "false" to begin with. I don't think in black-and-white terms like that.