• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ordination of Homosexuals

Should we ordain homosexuals?

• yes I feel strongly that we should

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • no we shouldn't

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • I am in between on this issue

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Actually us LDSers do put Adultery on par with homosexuality, all sexual sins are grevious to us.
That may well be but the real question is if it is actually grevious to god. A minor difference.

because thier lifestyle conflicts with the teachings of God every Gay person (and i have known more than "just a few") has been either athiest, or a christian and hypocrite.
*sigh* Hopefully you do not consider yourself to be an authority on this particular subject. What happens to gay Mormon children? Are they tortured and ordered to repent their evil natures?

and i look on here on the forums mostly i see titles that say "Athiest Queer" and things of that nature.
Ghastly isn't it. Imagine, they are actually proud of their flavor of diversity. Surely it must from from Satan, doncha think? I suppose a Satanic Mighty Mouse is also a bit much for one so sensitive.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
That may well be but the real question is if it is actually grevious to god. A minor difference.

And to us, it is grevious to god.

*sigh* Hopefully you do not consider yourself to be an authority on this particular subject. What happens to gay Mormon children? Are they tortured and ordered to repent their evil natures?
Children are innocent, to us people aren't "born that way". so there is no "evil nature." and if the parents don't teach thier children and raise them properly, to stand uprightly before the lord the sins fall upon the heads of the parents.

Ghastly isn't it. Imagine, they are actually proud of their flavor of diversity. Surely it must from from Satan, doncha think? I suppose a Satanic Mighty Mouse is also a bit much for one so sensitive.
Ghastly? haha, actually i enjoy thier diversity too. it doesn't change the way i feel and the way christianity feels about the subject of homosexuality. hate the sin, not the sinner. it's not nice to put words into someone's mouth.

spiritually inclined

And that the "natual man is an enemy to god" that we are to rise above ourselves and become as saints if we wish to be called his children. which includes the law of Chastity, including but not limited to, pronography, masturbation, homosexuality, fornication, sex before being legally and lawfully wedded.

These sins to us are almost on par with the shedding of innocent blood.
Masturbation, almost on par with shedding innocent blood? Shedding blood my a$$. Show me how the effects of masturbation are almost as destructive as murder and I might consider it. Even adultery is not on par with that.

I fully support ordaining gay clergy because I'm not a bigot and I don't believe that love and sex are evil. The more of it, the better.

James

logician

If homosexuality is a sin to you, yet nobody is perfect in the eyes of your god, what's the difference between ordaining a homosexual and anyone else?

UnTheist

Ghastly? haha, actually i enjoy thier diversity too. it doesn't change the way i feel and the way christianity feels about the subject of homosexuality. hate the sin, not the sinner. it's not nice to put words into someone's mouth.
Is Homosexuality the sin? Or is Homosexual sex the sin?

Because it would be very insulting to say Homosexuality is itself a sin when the Homosexuals cannot control their preferences.

hannahrose1209

*~Forever Wondering~*
Is Homosexuality the sin? Or is Homosexual sex the sin?

Because it would be very insulting to say Homosexuality is itself a sin when the Homosexuals cannot control their preferences.

well lusting after ANYONE technically is a sin!!

I also wanted to point out that God sees ALL sin in the same light! We are ALL equally sinful in God's eyes....a murder has just as much right to heaven as someone who has lied...or gossiped

UnTheist

well lusting after ANYONE technically is a sin!!
You mean that 'lust' that is a part of Human nature?
I also wanted to point out that God sees ALL sin in the same light! We are ALL equally sinful in God's eyes....a murder has just as much right to heaven as someone who has lied...or gossiped
Would you like to base the government's justice system off "God's eyes." That would be very frightening

jonny

Madhatter,

The LDS stance on homosexuality obviously isn't where homosexual groups would like it to be, but being homosexual is NOT a sin. That is NOT the official stance of the church and the church has NO rules against ordaining homosexuals. They have to follow the same moral guidelines that all other members of the church have to follow.

This is the official position of the church. You should note it:

Some people with same-gender attraction have felt rejected because members of the Church did not always show love. No member of the Church should ever be intolerant. As you show love and kindness to others, you give them an opportunity to change their attitudes and follow Christ more fully.
By the way - that is written to homosexuals and YOU are the one who is being given an opportunity to change your attitude and follow Christ more fully.

The church does ask homosexuals to be celebate and does believe that homosexuality is something that people have to deal with in this life and won't have to deal with it in the next life. That being said, if a homosexual is willing to follow the commandments, nothing should stand in their way of being ordained to the priesthood.

You are a son or daughter of God, and our hearts reach out to you in warmth and affection. Notwithstanding your present same-gender attractions, you can be happy during this life, lead a morally clean life, perform meaningful service in the Church, enjoy full fellowship with your fellow Saints, and ultimately receive all the blessings of eternal life.
LDS.org - Family Chapter Detail - God Loveth His Children

Homosexuality presents a unique challenge to the LDS Church because of the doctrine of eternal families. The stance of the church towards homosexuals has softened in recent years, and I expect that it will continue to soften.

I'm not going to debate the church's stance towards homosexuality with anyone. I know that it isn't what most of those on this forum would want it to be, but it is what it is.

Ever learning

Just like any other person who feels lik they are being called to preach the Word of the Lord. Should we ordain open homosexuals who feel called to lead the church? Please explain your why or why not!

Please help me out!! I would really appriciate your opinions on this touchy subject!!

Yes we should ordain them, I dont see why not. They are not going to preach about their sexual peferences. And while we´re at it, lets do away with celibacy too.

Smoke

Done here.
I voted No. Not because homosexuals wouldn't be equally good candidates for ordination, but because there is no large Christian denomination that accords homosexuals full equality, except for the Metropolitan Community Churches.

You should never have the opportunity to ordain a homosexual, because homosexuals should have better things to do than seek ordination. You should not ordain homosexuals because queers should have enough self-respect not to enlist in the service of religious denominations that are backwards, repressive, and discriminatory.

When queers accept, and even celebrate, their ability to penetrate the Christian club, and to enjoy second-class status as Christians, I think it's pathetic. When they let you into the club with all the rights and dignity accorded to heterosexuals, get back to me.

Of course, my statement applies only to large Christian churches other than the MCC. There are small Christian denominations (most of them very small) that do accord LGBTs full equality, and I have no problem with queers seeking ordination in those denominations or in the Unitarian Universalist Association.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Just like any other person who feels lik they are being called to preach the Word of the Lord. Should we ordain open homosexuals who feel called to lead the church? Please explain your why or why not!

Please help me out!! I would really appriciate your opinions on this touchy subject!!
Who is "we"? Unitarian Universalism ordains people who heed the call to be ministers. Whether they are gay or straight is irrelevant. That doesn't mean that their sexual orientation is hidden - UU encourages everyone to bring their whole, authentic selves to service - but the question of whether we "should" ordain BGLT ministers is a non-question.

spiritually inclined

You should never have the opportunity to ordain a homosexual, because homosexuals should have better things to do than seek ordination. You should not ordain homosexuals because queers should have enough self-respect not to enlist in the service of religious denominations that are backwards, repressive, and discriminatory.

When queers accept, and even celebrate, their ability to penetrate the Christian club, and to enjoy second-class status as Christians, I think it's pathetic. When they let you into the club with all the rights and dignity accorded to heterosexuals, get back to me.

I see your point, though it is the presence of homosexuals within the church that is doing much to change attitudes toward homosexuality, and that is a good thing. It's sort of like being an American. I am a gay American, and as a homosexual in this country, I do not have all of the same rights and priveleges or protection under the law as heterosexuals, but that doesn't mean I'm not an American. It does mean that I should use my ability to vote and right of free speech and expression to change laws or lack of rights that are based on bigotry and discrimination. In the process, the LGBT community will change attitudes and bring about something truly positive. To me, that is a more worthy goal and effort than moving to Canada.

The same situation can be applied within the church.

James

anders

to us people aren't "born that way"
Fascinating.

To me, and lots of other people, they are.

Different biology depending on who is looking? I was born male. It turned out that I'm heterosexual. Can I be sure that I'm not a woman "to you"? (Not that your view matters to me.)

rocka21

Brother Rock
So long as they are celibate, then there should be no conflict with Christian belief.

the funny thing is, that they that are celibate conflicts christian beliefs. go figure.