• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "Original Sin"

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Wisdom. That's what the serpent symbolizes in ancient cultures.
Wisdom is about the proper application of knowledge. So, wouldn't wisdom inform the ability to distinguish good actions from bad actions (even if, as noted earlier, it never would be a foolproof guarantee of correct choice)?

Danmac

You simply haven't a clue what you're talking about -- mostly as a result of juvenile arrogance and contempt for the subject matter. Yours is an ignorance both woeful and willful ...

The tree of the knowledge of good and bad employs a merism, one found only one other place in the Torah. It refers, as Sarna notes, to "the capacity to make independent judgments concerning human welfare." To equate this with [always] knowing right from wrong is preposterously stupid.
I am blessed with a fair number of grandchildren who have yet to reach the age of responsibility, yet each one knows that it is wrong to hit their sibling, wrong to ignore/disobey their parents, and right to hug their grandfather.​
You try so hard to denigrate the Tanach and those who formed it, and manage only to expose your own shallow pettiness. Too bad ...

Kudos Jay

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
You try so hard to denigrate the Tanach and those who formed it, and manage only to expose your own shallow pettiness. Too bad ...

You don't have to work hard to degenerate a book filled with violence and bloodlust, and that carries verses such as: "If a young man rapes a girl who is a virgin, he must pay her father fifty shekels of silver and marry her, and never divorce her as long as he lives."

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
The Bible does all its "denigrating" on its own, all I do is question it. You dismiss every challenge of your doctrine as "stupid" or "petty" because you are too closed-minded to view it from another person's perspective.

Danmac

The Bible does all its "denigrating" on its own, all I do is question it. You dismiss every challenge of your doctrine as "stupid" or "petty" because you are too closed-minded to view it from another person's perspective.

The bible doesn't even exist. It is assumed that it was written about a man that never lived by authors that never wrote it. The bible is a figment of our imagination. It really isn't there. There is that better?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
You don't have to work hard to degenerate a book filled with violence and bloodlust, and that carries verses such as: "If a young man rapes a girl who is a virgin, he must pay her father fifty shekels of silver and marry her, and never divorce her as long as he lives."
Sometimes your refusal to think is comical. The only bloodlust here is your attitude.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The Bible does all its "denigrating" on its own, all I do is question it.
That is a grossly hypocritical statement. To question is to look for an answer. You, however, naively believe you have the answer and care little that it is petty and predicated on ignorance. It is an arrogant and worthless hypocrisy ...

freeman2008

The original sin was Satan standing on the mountainside of the north claiming to be like the most high God. This is the original sin.
The first sin for humans was not having faith in God's word and believing the lies of Satan. All other sin comes from this. That is why it is written; What is not from faith is sin.
Only through faith can you be justified.

Last edited:

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
The bible doesn't even exist. It is assumed that it was written about a man that never lived by authors that never wrote it. The bible is a figment of our imagination. It really isn't there. There is that better?
The authors obviously wrote it, but everything else I'll agree with you on. Pure imagination.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Sure, but should one act of disobedience mean that you lose your immortality, curse the Earth to make it hard to produce a living, and bring pain and suffering into the world?
Should one gunshot mean that someone loses his life, curse the name of the person pulling the trigger and bring pain and suffering into the victim's family?
Of course I am aware. You should be asking the hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of Christians who take the Genesis story rather literally, and use it to justify the concept of Original Sin, and therefore a need for the redeemer, Jesus Christ.
they're free to make whatever they want to of the story. I'm not one of them. Nor do I plan to ever be.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
It' has nothing to do with closed-mindedness.
Perspective worthy of attention needs a clear vision of the subject under discussion. It's clear that your perspective is clouded and not well-informed. Or perhaps you're being intentionally provocative. In either case, as long as the shoe fits your challenge...

AllanV

Assuming the Adam and Eve story is true, why would God create beings with no knowledge of right and wrong and then command them not to do something? How would they know that the commission of the "Original Sin" was wrong if they had had no knowledge of right and wrong? And why did God hold them accountable for their "sin" if he knew that they had no idea it was wrong?

They would have known what was right and wrong. It would have been wrong to ignore advice. What happened was there was a consciousness shift. Observing human activity now, gives the answer.

People will often say good would not be known except there was bad.

Everyone manifests their own life in an almost supernatural way. There would not be all the self help schemes, become rich through self belief and visualization with positive affirmations, other wise, if it had not been noticed. With the right mental approach things can get better. For some people nothing ever seems to go right and others there seems to be unending good.

The Knowledge of good and evil would mean mankind would need to experience much drama to be fulfilled and develop a balanced viewpoint. A normal state is to think up evil and act it out continually in one form or the other as there are many branches on a tree. This would happen with all the consequences that are seen even now in today's world. From simple disagreements to major conflicts the dramas are acted out.

God is a pure energizing spirit and all own mental activity blocks and then gives power to a degeneration and below par energy leading to old age and death. The earth forces of oxidizing and decay actively working and progressively degrading the cells in the body.

Last edited: