• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Planets and other Space phenomena?

Half/WayHouse

Created by the Universe
For those in the Abrahamic faiths, or even those who are not but believe in a creation, I ask you, what do the Planets in our solar system mean to you and what purpose do you think they serve, if any?
The problem, I think, is if any credible explanation is presented, would it be reasonable to apply it to all other solar systems as well, even those still in the making?
Why would a creator make so many other planets, stars, comets, asteroids,black holes, gamma ray bursts and galactic collisions?
Is it just a sideshow for us, or maybe the creator? What do you think?

Thank you.:confused:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Those who believe the Bible story of creation...
believe what it says to be true.
They believe we and this world are unique.
They do not see the universe as full of potential sentiment beings and fertile worlds.

Others see God as the Prime Creator of the universe but not necessarily every thing in it.

This world will someday be consumed by our sun.
Where then will God's mantle fall.

Photonic

Ad astra!
Those who believe the Bible story of creation...
believe what it says to be true.
They believe we and this world are unique.
They do not see the universe as full of potential sentiment beings and fertile worlds.

Others see God as the Prime Creator of the universe but not necessarily every thing in it.

This world will someday be consumed by our sun.
Where then will God's mantle fall.

Expansion of our stars outer shell is still a good several billion years away.

We have proven there is life on this planet that can survive elsewhere in our galaxy, we have found that there are many planets that are possibly very similar to our own.

nnmartin

I would say there are definitely other life forms out there.

The Earth is just one of God's many creations - impossible to know what his designs for the whole Universe are.

Half/WayHouse

Created by the Universe
I would say there are definitely other life forms out there.

The Earth is just one of God's many creations - impossible to know what his designs for the whole Universe are.

It doesn't really answer the question posed though does it.

What do you think about planets like Venus and Mercury?

They are similar to Earth yet positioned in an orbit which is difficult for it to be of any use ( as far as we know, but probable ) to life?

The top and tail of it is they will both be created and then burn up, doing nothing in between. Would you agree?

nnmartin

they are doing something , but they just don't contain life as we know it.

One of the functions of the planets and various other cosmic phenomena is to absorb the energy given out by the Big Bang - ie: to turn that dissipating energy back into something structured. It's just another form of life.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
they are doing something , but they just don't contain life as we know it.

One of the functions of the planets and various other cosmic phenomena is to absorb the energy given out by the Big Bang - ie: to turn that dissipating energy back into something structured. It's just another form of life.

I want to ask how you know this and what you mean by absorbing energy...

Levite

Higher and Higher
For those in the Abrahamic faiths, or even those who are not but believe in a creation, I ask you, what do the Planets in our solar system mean to you and what purpose do you think they serve, if any?
The problem, I think, is if any credible explanation is presented, would it be reasonable to apply it to all other solar systems as well, even those still in the making?
Why would a creator make so many other planets, stars, comets, asteroids,black holes, gamma ray bursts and galactic collisions?
Is it just a sideshow for us, or maybe the creator? What do you think?

Thank you.

The universe that God created is vast and diverse and complex. We don't know all the reasons why God made it, let alone why He made it work precisely the way it does.

But it seems like part of the reason was to provide a place for intelligent life to arise, to produce thinking, self-aware beings of free will, who are (in those specific senses) like Him.

Certainly that has happened on this planet, and we reach out to Him, even as I believe He reaches out to us. I presume that life has also arisen on uncountable other planets in the universe, where, I presume, they also reach out to Him, and He to them.

As for the specific agenda that God may or may not have had for various individual cosmological phenomena-- who can say? I am not certain that I care what the motivation in their creation was, but they are certainly fascinating and beautiful. Perhaps those are some of the reasons in and of themselves: artist sometimes create great art purely for art's sake-- maybe God creates in part for similar reasons.

shawn001

It doesn't really answer the question posed though does it.

What do you think about planets like Venus and Mercury?

They are similar to Earth yet positioned in an orbit which is difficult for it to be of any use ( as far as we know, but probable ) to life?

The top and tail of it is they will both be created and then burn up, doing nothing in between. Would you agree?

There use to be a lot more planets and big rocks in our solar system that are now gone.

There is still possiblities for life in our solar system.

Right now many people think were "special" and put here specifically, because were the only life that we have found so far, but that could very much change in the future.

nnmartin

I want to ask how you know this and what you mean by absorbing energy...

it is the same principle which works on evolution.

Due to the Big Bang the universe is constantly expanding. To avoid it from gradually turning into nothingness order needs to be created from the energy. One way of doing this is by the creation of planets and life. Not only is this logical but it also adheres to the Law of Entropy.

It is difficult to say how I know this exactly but mainly due to general reasoning and insight - I doubt Einstein could tell you where he got his ideas from but he seemed to make some fairly accurate assumptions.

by the way - is that a web address on your signature?

Last edited:

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

Due to the Big Bang the universe is constantly expanding. To avoid it from gradually turning into nothingness order needs to be created from the energy. One way of doing this is by the creation of planets and life. Not only is this logical but it also adheres to the Law of Entropy.

I'm not seeing the logic or how it coincides with thermodynamics -- not trying to nitpick on it, but I'm a cosmology student and am unsure how to interpret what you're saying.

nnmartin said:
It is difficult to say how I know this exactly but mainly due to general reasoning and insight - I doubt Einstein could tell you where he got his ideas from but he seemed to make some fairly accurate assumptions.

Actually I could tell you where Einstein got his ideas, and he could too if he were around -- he was very meticulous about his thought experiments.

nnmartin said:

No, where do you see a web address?

The periods around the word BAD are just there for show, they're not part of any web address.

nnmartin

in the picture -www dot bad dot meow mix??

I thought that was a link to your blog but no such luck!:)

Last edited:

apophenia

Perhaps god in his wisdom realised that earth has very finite resources, and so created the planets and the asteroid belt so that mining corporations would have plenty of raw material. I note that the race is on to set up moon and Mars bases for this very reason. They certainly aren't spending those billions out of 'scientific curiousity'. Although I'm still amazed at how many people are swallowing that explanation ! Read Gerard K O'Neill for more on the real reason ....

shawn001

Maybe we should help him here on some of these issues.

The solar system was form by stellar accretion from matter originating from the big bang.

The planets absorb energy from the sun. They formed by planetary accreation. We can see this in other stars forming and other solar systems forming, outside our own.

Hence E=MC#

But

"It is a matter of common experience, that things get more disordered and chaotic with time. This observation can be elevated to the status of a law, the so-called Second Law of Thermodynamics. This says that the total amount of disorder, or entropy, in the universe, always increases with time. However, the Law refers only to the total amount of disorder. The order in one body can increase, provided that the amount of disorder in its surroundings increases by a greater amount."

Which is why the solar system has a limited existence in time.

Our sun and solar system come from second generation recylced material from elements billions of years ago created in super nova star explosions in a process called nucleosythesis.

Einstein came up with ideas, but they have then been tested and verified.

nnmartin

I'm not seeing the logic or how it coincides with thermodynamics -- not trying to nitpick on it, but I'm a cosmology student and am unsure how to interpret what you're saying.

Well, without going into a hardcore physics debate I see it like this:

After the Big Bang there is a great mass of disordered energy expanding outwards from its source.

God does not want this.

So he uses the energy to build things - he keeps the energy in place by doing work such as creating planets and life.

Order is being created from disorder.

shawn001

Perhaps god in his wisdom realised that earth has very finite resources, and so created the planets and the asteroid belt so that mining corporations would have plenty of raw material. I note that the race is on to set up moon and Mars bases for this very reason. They certainly aren't spending those billions out of 'scientific curiousity'. Although I'm still amazed at how many people are swallowing that explanation ! Read Gerard K O'Neill for more on the real reason ....

God works to help minning corporations? Why didn't god make a bigger earth with more resources on it? Or control the population. Or change what resources we need?

They certainly aren't spending billions out of 'scientific curiousity'

Yes they actually are like the hubble space telescope and many other tools for 'scientific curiousity'.