• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Pledge of Allegiance

Booko

Deviled Hen
MidnightBlue said:
Sometimes it seems to me that everything that's labeled patriotism is really jingoism. I think I've lived in South Carolina too long.

Ooh, I think you have. :eek:

I think real patriotism is just pride in your community, your city, state, country, and yes, the world.

It's out of a sense of wanting a community to be proud of that we put on the waders to clean junk out of the neighborhood stream every year, that I've worked alongside the fellow gardener who pushed to get Chamblee to be the first Community Backyard Habitat in the SE U.S. It's patriotism that leads me to work to ensure equal rights for religious expression in our schools.

Stuff like that comes from patriotism. It's not about "we're better than them" but "hey, let's make this a place to be proud of."

I know; that's why I fruballed you for it. :D

And thanks for that too. :D

Hm, if you happen to live anywhere near Myrtle Beach, my daughter has an Irish Dance competition there later in September.

I don't believe in saying it.

I never say the "under God" part and sometimes don't do the pledge at all.

I think it does violate the first amendment.

lizskid

BANNED
This is an interesting discussion. Up until last school year, the pledge was sort of hit and miss in our building (elem)but the state legislature has demanded that it be said daily, AND that a moment of silence also be observed. Those who do not wish to do the pledge are still to stand. I think maybe the "under God" is a violation of the 1st Amendment, but, then so is "In God We Trust" on our money, which is government issued.

The pledge was first done in 1892 by a newspaper for kids to say at programs and such. The "under God" was added in 1954, after several small wording changes over the years.