• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Problem of Evil

CynthiaCypher

God is omnipotent... is what I hear people saying.

So He could have created us with the ability to fart cupcakes and koolaid for one another.

Could've, would've, should've. While the ability would have been fun and we would have probably involved into some sort of species of circus clowns, God didn't because maybe God doesn't want us to evolve into a species of circus. And farting cupcakes and rainbow flavored kool aid would go against certain laws governing the physics of universe that God established.

You know just because God is omnipotent does not mean God is magic.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
To make murder an impossible thing, God would have to take away our ability to kill. Last time I looked just about every living thing needs to take the life of another living thing in order to live. So what would we eat in your no-kill world...sunshine and happiness?

No need to eat anymore.

AmbiguousGuy

You know just because God is omnipotent does not mean God is magic.

Well I know people with omnipotent Gods Who can do all kinds of magic. So I guess your God isn't as omnipotent as their God. Nothing personal, but if I were godshopping, I think I'd go with theirs.

Could've, would've, should've. While the ability would have been fun and we would have probably involved into some sort of species of circus clowns, God didn't because maybe God doesn't want us to evolve into a species of circus.

Yeah. Maybe, mighta, coulda.

Frankly, I think I could do a better job of handling evil than most of the Gods I've heard discussed by theists. Heck, I'd start by outlawing hemorrhoids. That act alone would make for a less evil world than the one we've got.

I mean, couldn't we live and grow just fine without hemorrhoids?

cottage

You are not addressing how the world you propose is not Brave New World.

Please feel fee to use whatever cliché you think appropriate. I’m simply identifying the fact of evil and suffering in the face of a supposedly loving and benevolent God. And a ‘greater good’ that depends or is contingent upon our fellow beings' suffering is logically absurd and morally reprehensible. Utterly deplorable, really!

adi2d

To make murder an impossible thing, God would have to take away our ability to kill. Last time I looked just about every living thing needs to take the life of another living thing in order to live. So what would we eat in your no-kill world...sunshine and happiness?

I answered this problem last night
An all knowing God would know our life before we were born. We would have the free will to kill but anyone who would murder or rape could be eliminated before they were born. Free will for everyone on earth with no rape or murder.

CynthiaCypher

Please feel fee to use whatever cliché you think appropriate. I’m simply identifying the fact of evil and suffering in the face of a supposedly loving and benevolent God. And a ‘greater good’ that depends or is contingent upon our fellow beings' suffering is logically absurd and morally reprehensible. Utterly deplorable, really!

Logically absurd? Let me clue you in about the world we live, everyone of us, and I mean every living being on this planet needs to eat. And when us creatures eat, we usually need to eat other organisms. And usually when we eat these organisms, they are killed somewhere during the process and some of thsoe organism that get killed during this process have highly complex nervous systems, so they suffer in the process.

So yes not only does the greater good i.e life depend upon the suffering of the few, life depends on the suffering of the many. These are the cold hard facts, not a logical absurdity.

You're thinking and the thinking of your compatriots in this arguement that it should be otherwise is the logical absurdity.

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
So I guess God should have made us all some sort of algae.

What other things in this world should we not need to do?

Algae?
Is your concept of god so weak that he is unable to make us exactly as we are except without the need to eat?

CynthiaCypher

Algae?
Is your concept of god so weak that he is unable to make us exactly as we are except without the need to eat?
Not if he wants us to live in the physical world where organisms need to eat food to produce energy. My God set forth the laws of physics and all things residing in and by these laws are subject to these laws, and that includes humans who are subject to the laws of energy conversion just as much as anything else.

CynthiaCypher

I answered this problem last night
An all knowing God would know our life before we were born. We would have the free will to kill but anyone who would murder or rape could be eliminated before they were born. Free will for everyone on earth with no rape or murder.

I think some of you atheist have just left the realm of reasonable argument and have happily entered into your own little world of the patently absurd.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Not if he wants us to live in the physical world where organisms need to eat food to produce energy. My God set forth the laws of physics and all things residing in and by these laws are subject to these laws, and that includes humans who are subject to the laws of energy conversion just as much as anything else.

In other words, this god gives preference to a physical world where organisms need to eat to produce energy over a world where no suffering or evil exists. Therefore, he is not omnibenevolent.

CynthiaCypher

In other words, this god gives preference to a physical world where organisms need to eat to produce energy over a world a where no suffering or evil exists. Therefore, he is not omnibenevolent.

I have never argued that God was omnibenevolent.

adi2d

I think some of you atheist have just left the realm of reasonable argument and have happily entered into your own little world of the patently absurd.

I really don't see where what I said was unreasonable
And I never claimed to be an atheist

I don't KNOW. And neither do you

CynthiaCypher

I really don't see where what I said was unreasonable
And I never claimed to be an atheist

I don't KNOW. And neither do you

You want God to intervene and take chance and uncertainty out of equation. That is not only unreasonable but absurd.

AmbiguousGuy

Theism is the gateway by which many of us enter the world of absurdity.

Really, can't you see how senseless it it to try and figure out God? It's just a word game.

CynthiaCypher

Theism is the gateway by which many of us enter the world of absurdity.

Really, can't you see how senseless it it to try and figure out God? It's just a word game.

I am not trying to figure out God, this is about the Problem of Evil, it has to do with an argument that certain people make.