• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Problem of Evil

gree0232

Are you aware of the concept of 'burden of proof'?
Since you made a claim you also have to back it up.
You can't just pass the burden to me to prove that your statement is wrong.

I don't want a quote from wikipedia.
I want you to use your own words to tell me what is circular reasoning.
I have specified that I want you to use your own words before a couple of times before.

Why do you keep telling me this?
I have already agreed with it.

I will ask you the same question again since you refused to answer the last time: Is suffering in itself a good thing? If you get nothing out of it, is suferring good? If yes, what do you understand by the word 'good'? What does it mean to you?

The problem is: It is not circular logic.
That's sad and funny, but you really believe on that.

As I have answered may ties, suffering can OFTEN lead to good things.

You getting fat from eating McDonald's 12 times a day will, at some point, as the movie Super Size Me demonstrates, lead to some pretty crappy consequences. That is suffering.

That suffering will cause you to STOP eating junk food 12 times a day.

It might even cause you to get off your but and exercise.

Such exercise, rather than lonely food poisoning yourself to death, might lead you into contact with people who pull you further along our to of unhealthy choices and friendships that add meaning to your life might all happen because you 'suffered' ill health.

What I also pointedly stated, is that a life where no suffering can happen undermines humanity. It undermines ethics. It undermines everything.

It lying has the same consequence as telling the truth, then what's the point?

Should a murderer suffer the consequences of his actions? Or is suffering bad?

You tell me.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I would advise you to start at least attempting to convince me, or anyone else, that you are not using circular logic.

I just gave you the perfect opportunity and, "Aw shucks, we are not!" is not a particularly strong proof or explanation is it?

Again, you atheists have to back up your claims too you know?

Why do you think the PoE has been so spectacularly unsuccessful in undermining religion if its so strong?

But we are so OBVIOUSLY wrong correct? So show us? Its ostensibly quite easy.

Dude, you are far better than me at Pidgeon Chess. I admit it.

That is exactly how far you will go with such tactics. I hope you enjoy the results, because that is all for you until you learn better.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
And if the pan and suffering you see are actually benefits from an eternal perspective? Then they are an act of benevolence.

An omnipotent entity would be able to bring about these benefits without any pain or suffering. This is what most theists seem to not understand about omnipotence, which causes their confusion and logical inconsistency.

In order to convince a religious person, that is what you have to prove.

I've never had any illusions about convincing people who are okay with logical inconsistency that they are being logically inconsistent.

And if the pan and suffering you see are actually benefits You can't change the parameters in the middle, I didn't and not saying its good merely because 'God' does it.

I am saying, from a perspective beyond our limited understanding it may very well be.

Right, your argument relies on redefining what omnibenevolence and/or what omnipotence is in order for both attributes to apply to your god. However, I'm not interested in redefining terms to mean something else in order to reconcile the existenece of an entity that is logically inconsistent with reality.

And when we look at God's Plan of Salvation, that the intent is to be here to learn and grow, to face consequences and see and find truth for ourselves?

Suffering is needed for there to be consequences.

Nothing is needed for an omnipotent being to bring about any desired state. There you go putting limits on omnipotence again.

And at face value, a moment of suffering to facilitate an eternity of understanding is a tremendous act of benevolence.

Not when no suffering is needed, such as would be the case with a being that was both omnipotent and omnibenevolent.

Take the biggest one ... death, murder. Suffering right? Not from an eternal perspective, because you are not dead ... and you have returned to a state of being with heavenly father and suffer no more. Is allowing murder thus malevolent?

An omnipotent entity could have its creations returned to it without the need for any suffering whatsoever - assuming that it was also omnibenevolent. A case that apparently doesn't exist in our universe.

As I said, there is a reason the PoE hasn't has much effect in millennia.

You think suffering disproves religion ... religion has long dealt with suffering. There is a logical expectation there that adherents of the PoE don't seem to understand.

And for the fiftieth time, I never said the problem of evil disproves either god or religion. What it does prove is that an omnipotent and omnibenevolent god is logically incompatible with reality.

And the tops out of, "Well, if its just good because God did it ..." would seem to indicate that you don't even want to understand the religious position enough to be able to able to rebut it.

Apparently another point which flew right over your head due to lack of reading comprehension.

There are better proofs of atheism than the PoE - by a long margin.

The PoE was around a long time before atheism began its uptick. I would wager the arguments that began that uptick probably have a little more merit to them than this one.

Atheism needs no proofs. It is simply the most rational position to hold.

gree0232

Dude, you are far better than me at Pidgeon Chess. I admit it.

That is exactly how far you will go with such tactics. I hope you enjoy the results, because that is all for you until you learn better.

Well thank you for once again coming up with a premise and spectacularly failing to support it ... which somehow is my fault and reflects on my character.

Gotcha.

A better hypotheisis? You will not go into areas that might actually challenge your faith.

Why else would you not amply lay out something that is OBVIOUS?

Religious people are not dumb simply because they are religious Luis. And that is exactly what our assumptions of us, and the way yo define us as proof of your claims seems to indicate you believe.

In direct rebuttal to KT's claim that its silly to walk around thinking everything is good because God did it (which was inaccurate), its not exactly good to walk around thinking everyone with a different faith choice is stupid.

three atheists have made that claim, rather than lay out the proof that this isn't a problem of circular logic.

gree0232

An omnipotent entity would be able to bring about these benefits without any pain or suffering. This is what most theists seem to not understand about omnipotence, which causes their confusion and logical inconsistency.

I've never had any illusions about convincing people who are okay with logical inconsistency that they are being logically inconsistent.

Right, your argument relies on redefining what omnibenevolence and/or what omnipotence is in order for both attributes to apply to your god. However, I'm not interested in redefining terms to mean something else in order to reconcile the existenece of an entity that is logically inconsistent with reality.

Nothing is needed for an omnipotent being to bring about any desired state. There you go putting limits on omnipotence again.

Not when no suffering is needed, such as would be the case with a being that was both omnipotent and omnibenevolent.

An omnipotent entity could have its creations returned to it without the need for any suffering whatsoever - assuming that it was also omnibenevolent. A case that apparently doesn't exist in our universe.

And for the fiftieth time, I never said the problem of evil disproves either god or religion. What it does prove is that an omnipotent and omnibenevolent god is logically incompatible with reality.

Apparently another point which flew right over your head due to lack of reading comprehension.

Atheism needs no proofs. It is simply the most rational position to hold.

#1 - Yep, an omnipotent being would be able to do it that way, but, that method could very well be LESS benevolent couldn't it? It could be LESS effective couldn't it? Less efficient? Cause more harm over time?

But we are back of insults again I see ... atheists.

Thus the question become not whether he CAN do it, but whether he should.

Ergo, you now have to prove that a world where there is no suffering, no negative consequences in a GOOD thing.

In a world where a murder cannot suffer for murder. Nor can he choose to murder anyway. A world where no matter what we do ... it'll ALWAYS be good.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/10/world/asia/new-china-cities-shoddy-homes-broken-hope.html?_r=0

It would seem that being given consequences we have not earned isn't really good for humanity? So ... your method and benevolence?

#2 - given that you like to lecture about logic, atheism requires evidence to support it or its irrational.

Let me remind you what Hitchens said, again:

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence

Again, the enter point of debate is to AT LEAST ATTEMPT to convince others.

And no sane or rational man would sign up for a conclusion based on the claim it doesn't need proof.

Well them, Go me some solid gold bars I'd like to sell ya real cheap, don;t need to show them to ya because all I am really doing is disagreeing that they ain't lead ... and since negative claims don;t require support, you gotta prove them is gold befer I show em to ya ... and I'll just keep assuring ya that they isn't anyway and will never be convinced ... so gimme your money.

I am glad that you think religious people should buy atheism under that premise. :no:

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
As I have answered may ties, suffering can OFTEN lead to good things.

You getting fat from eating McDonald's 12 times a day will, at some point, as the movie Super Size Me demonstrates, lead to some pretty crappy consequences. That is suffering.

That suffering will cause you to STOP eating junk food 12 times a day.

It might even cause you to get off your but and exercise.

Such exercise, rather than lonely food poisoning yourself to death, might lead you into contact with people who pull you further along our to of unhealthy choices and friendships that add meaning to your life might all happen because you 'suffered' ill health.

But I am not asking about suffering that can lead to good things.
I am asking about suffering that leads to no good things.
Is that kind of suffering a good thing in itself?

What I also pointedly stated, is that a life where no suffering can happen undermines humanity. It undermines ethics. It undermines everything.

Why? Why do you think so?
God doesn't suffer if he doesn't want to.
Does that also undermine his godhood?

It lying has the same consequence as telling the truth, then what's the point?

What's the point of what?

Should a murderer suffer the consequences of his actions? Or is suffering bad?

You tell me.

I think there should be no murder. But you know that already.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
#1 - Yep, an omnipotent being would be able to do it that way, but, that method could very well be LESS benevolent couldn't it? It could be LESS effective couldn't it? Less efficient? Cause more harm over time?

No, it couldn't. An omnipotent and omnibenevolent entity could bring about a universe that was absolutely and completely benevolent. There would be no need for any pain, misery, or suffering. The existence of these things shows that god is either not omnipotent, not omnibenevolent, or simply doesn't exist.

Thus the question become not whether he CAN do it, but whether he should.

Ergo, you now have to prove that a world where there is no suffering, no negative consequences in a GOOD thing.

Benevolence is defined as good and kind. Absolute benevolence would entail the existence of nothing but goodness and kindness, and no pain, misery, or suffering. An omnipotent being would have no limitations on what he should do, only what he wanted to do. If an omnipotent wanted no pain, misery, or suffering (omnibenevolence), then none would exist.

In a world where a murder cannot suffer for murder. Nor can he choose to murder anyway. A world where no matter what we do ... it'll ALWAYS be good.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/10/world/asia/new-china-cities-shoddy-homes-broken-hope.html?_r=0

It would seem that being given consequences we have not earned isn't really good for humanity? So ... your method and benevolence?

Once again you're placing limits on omnipotence. An omnipotent entity could bring about any state of affairs for itself and for its creations. If such a being were also omnibenevolent, there would be no pain, misery, or suffering, as it isn't necessary.

#2 - given that you like to lecture about logic, atheism requires evidence to support it or its irrational.

I am an atheist in the sense that I do not hold the belief that god(s) exist. This requires no proof. It is simply the most rational position as long as the claim that god(s) exist has no evidence to show that it is true.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence

Precisely. The claim that an omnipotent, omnibenevolent entity exists has no evidence. Thus, I can dismiss it.

Again, the enter point of debate is to AT LEAST ATTEMPT to convince others.

I cannot convince you if you do not value logical consistency. The point of my responses is to help others articulate and understand why the existence of an omnipotent, omnibenevolent god is logically inconsistent, as, I already stated, I have no illusions about convincing people who are unconcerned with logically consistency that they are being logically inconsistent.

And no sane or rational man would sign up for a conclusion based on the claim it doesn't need proof.

And no rational person would accept the existence of an entity whose existence is logically inconsistent with reality, and whose existence has no evidence.

Well them, Go me some solid gold bars I'd like to sell ya real cheap, don;t need to show them to ya because all I am really doing is disagreeing that they ain't lead ... and since negative claims don;t require support, you gotta prove them ain't gold ... and I'll just keep assuring ya that they is anyway ... so gimme your money.

I am glad that you think religious people should buy atheism under that premise. :no:

I see your lack of reading comprehension is rearing its ugly head again. I'm not arguing that others should be atheists. For the umpteenth time, I'm simply arguing that the existence of a god who is both omnipotent and omnibenevolent is logically inconsistent with the state of reality. A position that you've yet hardly addressed, let alone put even a slight dent into.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
...you now have to prove that a world where there is no suffering, no negative consequences in a GOOD thing...
Is there suffering and pain and evil in the Christian heaven? How are the Christians that get saved and go to heaven different than how they were on Earth? Because they aren't perfect, and even though they are Christian, they can still disobey God and cause someone else pain in this life? But, somehow, they will be different in heaven. And, I assume, they believe it is God that makes the changes in them. So why then and not now? He created them. He knows who will believe. And, what is sad, is he could change the circumstances in our lives and reveal enough of himself to make us all believe.

Harold Kushner argues that God can't prevent evil. I don't know if that makes sense though. This whole problem of evil may be a thing humanity will never find a way around!

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
There is no Problem of Evil and this is just a presuppositionalist atheist argument. Who ever said evil is objective and who ever said God is good?

idav

Being
Premium Member
The problem with evil is nature. Homicide is not at the top.

Top 15 Causes of Death

1. Heart Disease2. Cancer3. Stroke4. Chronic Lung Disease5. Accidents6. Alzheimer's7. Diabetes8. Influenza and Pneumonia9. Nephritis/Kidney Disease10. Blood Poisoning11. Suicide12. Liver Disease13. Hypertension/Renal14. Parkinson's Disease15. Homicide

USA CAUSES OF DEATH BY AGE AND GENDER

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Well thank you for once again coming up with a premise and spectacularly failing to support it ... which somehow is my fault and reflects on my character.

I would say you are welcome, but you really should work on it at least a bit. For your benefit, not mine.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
There is no Problem of Evil and this is just a presuppositionalist atheist argument. Who ever said evil is objective and who ever said God is good?

Unless one takes a rather extreme and morally dicey philosophical stance (complete solipsism, perhaps), I don't think this can be made to work.

gree0232

I would say you are welcome, but you really should work on it at least a bit. For your benefit, not mine.

Standards are standards Luis.

So when you claim that the PoE is not based on circular logic, see a proof that it very much is so, and simply declare it not so based on ...

Logic is a set of standards.

And, as a famous atheist said:

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

That is doubt so when someone is claiming that there position is logical. The failure to support it is, in a logical sense, condemning.

I am afraid that I have to disagree with you. Abandoning that basic standard of logic is not in my best interest. I would in fact believe that its not in anyone's best interest to so.

I rather agree with atheist Bo Bennett:

"Expose an irrational belief, keep a person rational for a day. Expose irrational thinking, keep a person rational for a lifetime."

The upshot? If someone wishes to irrationally believe that the PoE somehow rationally disproves God because they simply claims it logical without support - in open defiance of the obvious fact that religion has flourished for millennia despite the PoE (the one is ostensible disproves the most, doing the best in this period), its simply not rational.

I fail to see how being irrational is a good thing?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I find it virtually impossible to get any debater to stop and define his terms in his own words.

Yet that is the essence of creating a coherent worldview, I think. The one who's not afraid to do it is almost always the better debater.

I don't want you to redefine 'circular reasoning'. :sarcastic

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Not to worry. I wouldn't know how to redefine a word.

Hmm...
I am sorry. For some reason, I thought you were someone else, and I understood your post on a complete different light. Plus, it wasn't even 6 AM here, and I had just waken up. Please ignore what I replied to you because it is a bunch of nonsense.