• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The purpose of creation

SuzyL

As a Swedenborgian I am taught that the purpose of creation is a heaven from the human race. What does your religion teach you? What makes sense to you?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
As a Swedenborgian I am taught that the purpose of creation is a heaven from the human race. What does your religion teach you? What makes sense to you?

I don't have a religion anymore. I just went back to learn more about my family, family spirits, and practices that connected me them. What the purpose of creation--to connect with our origin, live our present, and be comfortable with the future.

Welcome to RF by the way ;)

Senseless

Bonnie & Clyde
Hi Suzy :)

I don't really have a religion, nor do I believe there to be a creation at all. I think matter is an illusion created by our minds dreaming. We are God.

Yeah, my meds, I know.

SuzyL

Hi Suzy :)

I don't really have a religion, nor do I believe there to be a creation at all. I think matter is an illusion created by our minds dreaming. We are God.

Yeah, my meds, I know.
If there is no creation then what are you? I guess you think Descartes was wrong: "I think, therefore I am." I must say that if THIS is an illusion then it is quite something! :)

SuzyL

I don't have a religion anymore. I just went back to learn more about my family, family spirits, and practices that connected me them. What the purpose of creation--to connect with our origin, live our present, and be comfortable with the future.

Welcome to RF by the way ;)
I actually think that everyone has a "religion." You just said what yours was - I mean, I think you did. That it is about your family. Do you have a connection with your family spirits? What does it feel like? What do you think your "origin" is/was?

Akivah

It makes sense to me that G-d is generous and loving and Created the Universe for our benefit.

SuzyL

It makes sense to me that G-d is generous and loving and Created the Universe for our benefit.

Yes, Akivah, that makes sense to me. But I think it is more than that actually because that only speaks to this natural life while we are alive in our natural bodies. I think God created us with a soul (which we can feel and sense by being able to think and love). And I think that soul, which embodies all that we love/hold dear is what lives on to eternity. A loving God has created us all to live a happy existence to eternity - if we choose to. But we must choose to love goodness and turn for all bad intentions in our lives.

Senseless

Bonnie & Clyde
If there is no creation then what are you? I guess you think Descartes was wrong: "I think, therefore I am." I must say that if THIS is an illusion then it is quite something! :)

I told you. We are God, an all-encompassing consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. The reality that we more or less agree on is the byproduct.

No, I don't think he was wrong at all ;) in fact, my own existence in the present moment is the only thing I'm relatively sure of. The rest is just hunches, my beliefs. I think, therefore I assume with reasonable certainty that I am, or something to that effect.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
If that is all it is - it is very "me" centric, don't you think?
Why is it just "me"? I'm part of everything. Everything is the cause of me. Everything that exists, creation is being and becoming, both for itself, for me, but all that also for you. Your existence is also being and becoming.

To think that this universe was created only for the purpose for me, then it's me-centric. If I would think it was to lead me to heaven, so I can spend eternity there, then it's also very me-centric. But to think of everything just existing and evolving, then I'm just a part of it, and it is less me-centric and more all-centric.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Those are two questions with multiple correct answers. Rather than add more answers I'll just point out that we are all born naked and barely functioning, and we don't really learn much. You could think of adults as children riding around in large robot suits.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Not understanding your "I am taught that the purpose of creation is a heaven from the human race." Do you mean heaven for the human race?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
As a Swedenborgian I am taught that the purpose of creation is a heaven from the human race.
Can you explain this slightly more?

What does your religion teach you?
In Advaita (Hindu philosophy) Brahman is the One consciousness and the universe is all the play/drama of Brahman within Himself. He separates Himself from Himself in Act I and returns Himself to Himself in Act II. Why? - for the experience of finite existence and the joy of returning to the source.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I actually think that everyone has a "religion." You just said what yours was - I mean, I think you did. That it is about your family. Do you have a connection with your family spirits? What does it feel like? What do you think your "origin" is/was?

I don't have a name for what I believe in. I know that we all have multiple beliefs/worldviews/morals that overlap. A lot of us say that there are certain names that shape those worldviews. It's like having a cake. Instead of saying eggs, flower, and icing together in a nice fluffly and sweet desert, we just say Cake.

I used to believe that if I put my "sins" on Jesus that somehow his death that happened over 2,000 years ago will somehow rid me of what I don't have. Since a lot of people feel they need Jesus and a whole lot of other things, they call themselves Christians. (I loved be Catholic; and that is what I called myself)

I droped that for various reasons and none had to do with the practices themselves.

I knew that not only I have to sacrifice by bad deeds (as we all do) and we can't do it alone, I also realized that I am actually born with a good nature. A good, child heart. Innocent. All of these indegredients, I called myself another religion. Buddhist. (Nichiren Buddhist). I have my Gohonzon. I still believe In it. (Long story of translation), and that is my object of wroship--myself.

I stopped practicing. All the knowledge that I have of my true nature, of what I need to "get rid of" was just life. It wasn't anything special. I couldn't figure out how to put a dogma/a practice/a religion behind it because it just made common sense.

:herb:

My grandmother passed last year today. That whole year I started looking more into my family. I went to thanksgiving and met for the first time my mothers side of the family. I felt so different--like the Buddha, the Christ, and all the religious figures in the world couldn't replace. They were not my blood. They were not part of me as in my family. Yes, we are all humans and we all share divine wisdom and many ways we call it, but nothing is like being with family.

So, I started talking with my grandmother in spirit. It was also part of the grieving process, I know; but, my family has always knew spirits live on earth (most my family are christian so they believe they are in heaven). My intermediate family knew our spirit relatives are with us. It is a connection just like living family. No different. Nothing special. When I go to my altar sometimes and sit with my grandmother or even talk to her to talk to my ancestors, to know who I am sometimes, it makes me burst into tears.

All of these things that I do are everyday life to me. The grieving is unfortunate. I realized that when I keep trying to label ingredients so they make sense in one word, it doesn't work. It doesn't work when my mother practiced witchcraft but she thought of it as A, Pagans think of it as B, Neopagans think of it as C. Native cultures think of it as D, and so forth. So, I just drop the label.

I don't have a religion. I dont have a belief.

Through all the things I've gone through medically, I should just apreciate what I know I have, that is life. Everything is wrapped around what I know not just what I believe.

Budddhanature, Christ, God, Cosmos, Consciousness, whatever. (I'm talking through emotions), I don't care.

I heard of the word Apathist in this RF forum. It means someone who doesn't care about religion or anything like that. It's not that I dont care to know my family, talk to spirits, live life.

I just don't find it important to ask Why.

That's why I dont have a religion.

Last edited:

Aset's Flames

Viperine Asetian

There is no purpose rather than wishing for something to be.

It is like a piece of living art.

SuzyL

I told you. We are God, an all-encompassing consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. The reality that we more or less agree on is the byproduct.

No, I don't think he was wrong at all ;) in fact, my own existence in the present moment is the only thing I'm relatively sure of. The rest is just hunches, my beliefs. I think, therefore I assume with reasonable certainty that I am, or something to that effect.

In what way are we all God? I personally certainly don't feel god-like. I can't create anything at all.

I guess I am a Neo-Platonist as in the shadows on the wall of the cave. Do you identify with that at all?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Why should we assume that there's a purpose to the universe? We exist, so let's deal with that, enjoy it, and also help others enjoy it.

SuzyL

Of course you don't need to assume that there is a purpose to creation but how does that appeal to your rational sense?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
There is no "purpose". Order and the All exist out of logical necessity, to quantify Chaos.