• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The quest for the historic Jesus

arcanum

I was just wondering how many Christians have have embarked on this area of study? What books have you read on the subject? Has it changed the way you look at Jesus and Christianity? Personally it made me kind of depressed because it blew the lid on what I thought I knew as fact about Jesus, now I don't know what I believe. I started of with Bart Ehrmans books, I read the Jesus Mysteries, Who on earth was Jesus, all of Elaine Pagels books, I'm currently reading the Jesus Puzzle and have James the brother of Jesus by Robert Eisenman on deck. My mind is officially blown.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
the evidence for a historic Jesus is weak yes?

arcanum

Lol what does that mean
Well maybe it's a good thing for Jesus says in the book of Thomas
2. Jesus said, "Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will reign over all. [And after they have reigned they will rest.]" ;)

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
2. Jesus said, "Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will reign over all. [And after they have reigned they will rest.]" ;)

Lol damn mystics. Never giving straight replies. Guess I gotta read some books. Which book do you recomend to start with? And who wrote it why

cablescavenger

I was just wondering how many Christians have have embarked on this area of study? What books have you read on the subject? Has it changed the way you look at Jesus and Christianity? Personally it made me kind of depressed because it blew the lid on what I thought I knew as fact about Jesus, now I don't know what I believe. I started of with Bart Ehrmans books, I read the Jesus Mysteries, Who on earth was Jesus, all of Elaine Pagels books, I'm currently reading the Jesus Puzzle and have James the brother of Jesus by Robert Eisenman on deck. My mind is officially blown.
I have seen a few documentaries, and from what I can gather there is no evidence that Jesus existed.

arcanum

I have seen a few documentaries, and from what I can gather there is no evidence that Jesus existed.
Well I'd kind of warn people who want to remain secure in their faith and in their knowledge not to even open that door, because you can't close it again once it's been opened.

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
Sadly I haven't had the opportunity to read any books on the subject, but I've seen some documentaries and read a few articles around it - and of course the Bible. I think it's possible there existed a person who then became the model for the Pauline Jesus, but if he did, he was a rabbi whose teachings were very similar to the ones of Hillel the Elder. Many of the clues are found in the Gospels themselves, if you skip all the fantastic details and look for the mundane.

One might do well to be careful about reading all kinds of sources outside of the Bible (unless they are strictly historical or whatever) concerning the Messiah. Remember, there is the TRUE Messiah and... the other one.

outhouse

Atheistically
Well I'd kind of warn people who want to remain secure in their faith and in their knowledge not to even open that door, because you can't close it again once it's been opened.

Its the same way for the god concept, and all religion.

History tells the real legend.

For me, I highly recommend everyone reads these books and finds out the truth. they can still keep the lessons and theism.

I honestly think I have more religion in me then most, and follow closer to yeshuas words then any theist.

What this quote means is that their is something in the human condition to be known ( not believed). When find this in ourselves we maybe disturbed. Our views or ego is challenged as we try to live up to a new understanding where selflessness is the source of authentic joy rather than the self interests of the survivalist. We marvel at the love and compassion we see in others and recognize a new potential in humanity. We reign when we can meet the new standard in action. WE rest, find peace.

I wouldn't loose respect for Jesus to quickly. Perhaps it's worth assessing the wisdom of the gospel of Thomas and the debate between the Gnostic documentation and the Orthodox View. Consider the roles of Zeroastrianism, Constantine and Eusebius. The later being the cause for the difficulty in determining the history of Jesus. The Romans weren,t shy of erasing the historical record of their adversaries. Read Constantine's wiki page.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist

This has been my major subject of study for some time now. For me, it has given be a better appreciation for Jesus, and what he did.

arcanum

There is more than enough evidence that Jesus existed. Josephus mentions him twice, and that really is all that we need.
You do realize that quote by Josephus concerning Jesus, not the one about James, was in likelihood forged right? It's embarrassingly obvious because the things he says about him, that he was the Christ and if it be lawful to call him a man and all that...if he really said that then why hadn't Josephus himself become a christian?

Last edited: