• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the right religion

1robin

Christian/Baptist
by george he's got it!!!
That wasn't fair. It is hard to delete a moving emoticon. Now that I have stated your position even though you could have in one sentence I will provide them soon. One is charitable giving.

If you will not get excited the 3% of the time I can agree with you I won't do it.

did you read the link?
i am saying that if christianity was true then there should be empirical evidence showing christianity is the right religion/method
Actually there is quite a lot if you do not have an arbitrary, overly narrow, and inaplicable standard and I will provide some soon.

how many different scientific methods are there?
There is only one that is specifically refered to by those words but there are countless methods used in science. However much of science violates it's own method and some violates it's own laws.

psssst..
"there can only be one"
What movie was that from?

i believe there is a common factor with all religions...a level of blind religious faith fed by the wanting for a beliefs to be true...
and that is not a bad thing...everyone hopes
That does not accurately reflect the majority of what is behind a Christians faith.

it's like the one getting bad news of being fired, yet the person getting the bad news is still hopeful for something to "save" them from the imminent threat of being jobless
That is a very accurate instance of the application of hope. I did not know the application of hope in a hypothetical case was the issue. That has very little to do with a salvation experience with a risen Christ unless you think one third of humanity is dilusional.

Last edited:

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
no, i follow the religion based on both the faith and fact, and at the god's eyes , it's surly only one right religion
and surly u can test the belief if it's right or wrong, we have already the proper tools for that "our minds"

OK,lets look for evidence of "the right religion",seems to me the most poverty stricken places in the world are very religious,how can they determine they are following the right religion surrounded by desease,famine,over population and poverty,what can substantiate "the right religion" ?.

confused453

OK,lets look for evidence of "the right religion",seems to me the most poverty stricken places in the world are very religious,how can they determine they are following the right religion surrounded by desease,famine,over population and poverty,what can substantiate "the right religion" ?.

It's God's will, to test... ahem..ahem... extreme government corruption... ahem.. the faithful.

Last edited:

kjw47

1 right religion-- 99% false religionssssssssssss--how can one find the one? By applying Jesus,s teachings for one.

waitasec

Veteran Member
That does not accurately reflect the majority of what is behind a Christians faith.

I did not know the application of hope in a hypothetical case was the issue. That has very little to do with a salvation experience with a risen Christ unless you think one third of humanity is dilusional.

That is a very accurate instance of the application of hope.
Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.

it is a very accurate reflection of the christian faith...

so then you know you are saved...?

btw, the movie was highlander...and you skirted the issue

how many scientific methods are there?
i await your meaningful answer.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.

it is a very accurate reflection of the christian faith...

so then you know you are saved...?
No it isn't, the driving force in your example was fear. You used that example specifically to draw a negative connotation with faith. I do not know about other religions or too many other Christians but my faith rests on very little fear. I imagine what you would find is that fear, hope, reason, and divine revelation are all mixed in differing proportions with each Christian's faith. This is not true with your specifically chosen example. You are looking through a lense that distorts things just enough to make them suffeciently negative for your purpose but still recognizable. I recognize everyone is biased to some extent but I fight it very hard, you seem to amplify it. This renders unreasonable and meaningless claims.

btw, the movie was highlander...and you skirted the issue
I knew I had heard it before. I do not remember the issue and did not intentionaly skirt it. It is unecessary with the type of claims you make.

how many scientific methods are there?
i await your meaningful answer.
I did answer this one. There is one method known as the "official scientific method" but there are countless second tier methods for doing science. I do not know what you are driving at and so can't be more specific. IMO the "official method" is nothing but opinion and arbitrary because they violate it every time you turn around and still call it science. It is based on nothing more than arbitrary opinion and has no real explanitory power. It boils down to a rule by which any claim they don't like is dismissed but one that never seems to impeded them at all even when they violate it.

waitasec

Veteran Member
No it isn't, the driving force in your example was fear. You used that example specifically to draw a negative connotation with faith.
not at all. faith in my example was the positive re-enforcement.
this is what i said:
it's like the one getting bad news of being fired, yet the person getting the bad news is still hopeful for something to "save" them from the imminent threat of being jobless
i am self employed. i have nothing but hope to rely on. i hope in my ability and i hope that my ability will translate to consistent work...i have to hustle..i experience the battle field, as it were, but at any given moment i can loose it all because i see the frailty of it 1st hand
religious faith is like working for someone...and it is a completely different experience...where all you need to do is show up and do what you are told...oblivious to what it takes for one to have a job to go to in the 1st place and are in a position where it is easy to take those things for granted.

I do not know about other religions or too many other Christians but my faith rests on very little fear.

hmmm...very little fear...why any...my goodness you are on gods side...what is there to be afraid of?

I imagine what you would find is that fear, hope, reason, and divine revelation are all mixed in differing proportions with each Christian's faith.
really? all christians agree on the same revelation?

This is not true with your specifically chosen example. You are looking through a lense that distorts things just enough to make them suffeciently negative for your purpose but still recognizable. I recognize everyone is biased to some extent but I fight it very hard, you seem to amplify it. This renders unreasonable and meaningless claims.

so then life and the choices we make in life aren't scary...
then why are you afraid...even a little bit?

There is one method known as the "official scientific method" but there are countless second tier methods for doing science.
nope. focus.

we are discussing a method in which science uses to come to a conclusion
these "countless tiers" for doing science has nothing to do with reaching a conclusion
there is one scientific method for reaching a conclusion, same applies to religion, one method at arriving at a conclusion....the individual believer, or religious adherent is always right by faith. excellent method...

confused453

I can only imagine how life on earth would be if god had written the bible on how to look for answers using scientific method, giving real-life examples/stories. We'd probably be at least 1000 years more advanced by now.

This could be another indication that all religions are false and not worth following.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
not at all. faith in my example was the positive re-enforcement.
this is what i said:

i am self employed. i have nothing but hope to rely on. i hope in my ability and i hope that my ability will translate to consistent work...i have to hustle..i experience the battle field, as it were, but at any given moment i can loose it all because i see the frailty of it 1st hand
religious faith is like working for someone...and it is a completely different experience...where all you need to do is show up and do what you are told...oblivious to what it takes for one to have a job to go to in the 1st place and are in a position where it is easy to take those things for granted.
Maybe if you would actully just state what it is you find meaningful in this comparison it will clairify things instead of what seems like leading.

hmmm...very little fear...why any...my goodness you are on gods side...what is there to be afraid of?
You are not on God's side until you are saved. That only effects the ultimate destination and does not mean that temporal judgements will not be enacted. So either way some level of fear is inherent. I will say that the few times I have been in God's presence it was more like whatever the opposite of fear would be.

really? all christians agree on the same revelation?
To become a Christian everyone must pass through the same choke point, Christ. If they think they are a Christian but didn't go through that narrow door then they are not.
New Living Translation (©2007)
"I tell you the truth, anyone who sneaks over the wall of a sheepfold, rather than going through the gate, must surely be a thief and a robber!
John 10:1 "I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber.
Any kind of works or ceremonial salvation method is described by this verse. Jesus and his grace are the narrow gate.

so then life and the choices we make in life aren't scary...
then why are you afraid...even a little bit?
You are assuming fear is primary and then you ask why fear at all. As with many things the answer lies somewhere in between. The bible makes many statements about fearing God.
New Living Translation (©2007)
Fear of the LORD is the foundation of true knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline
2Corinthians
5:11 Since, then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to persuade men. What we are is plain to God, and I hope it is also plain to your conscience.
Fear of God bible verses
Fear is a necessary ingedient in the life of a Christian but it is the only thing in his life deserving of fear. Without God there is far more reason to fear. Fear in Christianity is a usefull issue but not a dominant one.

nope. focus.

we are discussing a method in which science uses to come to a conclusion
these "countless tiers" for doing science has nothing to do with reaching a conclusion
there is one scientific method for reaching a conclusion, same applies to religion, one method at arriving at a conclusion....the individual believer, or religious adherent is always right by faith. excellent method...
Nope, the scientific method is so obvious and general and it is ignored at will that it is actually quite pointless.
a method of investigation in which a problem is first identified and observations, experiments, or other relevant data are then used to construct or test hypotheses that purport to solve it
There is nothing meaningful there. If you boil it down it means you must test it to call it a fact. However they can't test large parts of science and call it a fact anyway even when it when it violates their own LAWS. In summary it is a trivial def which is selectively applied and it requires thousands of secondary methods to do what it states anyway. I wish you would just make your point and quit all this jockying for position.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
It's God's will, to test... ahem..ahem... extreme government corruption... ahem.. the faithful.

Ah yes,the test thing,many a debate about God brings forth the "God is testing your faith" but when its pointed out that this test isn't very fair on infants dying of STDs or famine its time to move the goalposts,the test doesn't apply to them and they flap their little Angel wings all the way to heaven,this happens even though said God already knows what the future of everyone is going to be and how each is going to end.

kjw47

Ah yes,the test thing,many a debate about God brings forth the "God is testing your faith" but when its pointed out that this test isn't very fair on infants dying of STDs or famine its time to move the goalposts,the test doesn't apply to them and they flap their little Angel wings all the way to heaven,this happens even though said God already knows what the future of everyone is going to be and how each is going to end.

God pre knowing everyones future is a false teaching--that is why we have free will, to choose the path we will walk. Infants dying is not God testing someones faith, it is the result of what the rebels in the Garden of Eden chose for mankind. God isnt interferring in too much as of now. The whole point satan raised by telling Eve that we would become like God knowing good and bad, he was basically saying if we knew both we could choose for ourselves and wouldnt need God to choose for us. so it is being proved once and for all time that mankind does need God and knowing only good is the best path to find happiness.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
God pre knowing everyones future is a false teaching--that is why we have free will, to choose the path we will walk. Infants dying is not God testing someones faith, it is the result of what the rebels in the Garden of Eden chose for mankind. God isnt interferring in too much as of now. The whole point satan raised by telling Eve that we would become like God knowing good and bad, he was basically saying if we knew both we could choose for ourselves and wouldnt need God to choose for us. so it is being proved once and for all time that mankind does need God and knowing only good is the best path to find happiness.

So false advertising then,like the Ark or Moses parting the the Sea,as for those rebels in the Garden of Eden,if they chose for us,how can we have free will?.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
There are 4 different eyewitness accounts of the life of Jesus in the bible, its not just a story.

Why only 4,God sends his Son who ends up being Crucified and there are only 4 eyewitness accounts?,a Man who could turn water into wine,raise someone from the dead,feed a multitude of people with a couple of Fish and some Bread yet only four people recorded an eyewitness account of these miracles,if its not just a story where is the proof of it?.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Maybe if you would actully just state what it is you find meaningful in this comparison it will clairify things instead of what seems like leading.
i have...here it is again.
Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see

You are not on God's side until you are saved.

are you saved or not?

That only effects the ultimate destination and does not mean that temporal judgements will not be enacted.
why not? what else would set a believer apart from a non believer?

So either way some level of fear is inherent. I will say that the few times I have been in God's presence it was more like whatever the opposite of fear would be.
so then there is no reason at all for you to have any fear since you have experienced god 1st hand...

To become a Christian everyone must pass through the same choke point, Christ. If they think they are a Christian but didn't go through that narrow door then they are not.
but the understanding of who christ is still being debated...
by what criteria does one determine who christ is if there are many differing ideas about him?

You are assuming fear is primary and then you ask why fear at all.

i never said fear is primary...i asserted reality.
getting the bad news of loosing your job is a real thing that one must deal with. it's a reality. the way in which one chooses to deal with that reality is subjective. one can HOPE for a better outcome...by either doing nothing-praying or doing something..looking for a new job.
it's quite simple.

Nope, the scientific method is so obvious and general and it is ignored at will that it is actually quite pointless.

There is nothing meaningful there. If you boil it down it means you must test it to call it a fact.

and???

However they can't test large parts of science and call it a fact anyway even when it when it violates their own LAWS.
like?

I wish you would just make your point and quit all this jockying for position.
religion is one method at arriving at a conclusion....the individual believer, or the religious adherent is always right by faith... a fallible criteria...

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
There are 4 different eyewitness accounts of the life of Jesus in the bible, its not just a story.
Plus several (from 10-12 sources)extrabiblical works by competent men. There is more textual evidence for Jesus than just about any other character in ancient history. The others are taught as fact but only Christ must be controvercial.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
i have...here it is again.
Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see
I have no problem with the analogy unless it's application makes it into something it is not. For that you will have to somehow make it applicable. What is the conclusion or implication. You keep the semantic train chugging but it never gets anywhere. Lets just say I agree So what??

are you saved or not?
Yes but that only removes the ultimate payment for sin. The second death. I still if you will have a cosmic master that will discipline me in the temporal sence. There are some who even say he will physically kill even a very wayward Christian (I am not saying I agree but his scrutiny of my actions went way up after I was saved) but the ultimate destination is still secure.

why not? what else would set a believer apart from a non believer?
This was in the context of fear. It was not meant to address a larger role. I will provide statistics that show Christians are on the whole better or more concerned with many benevolent actions if you will tell me what difference it would make.

so then there is no reason at all for you to have any fear since you have experienced god 1st hand...
In short I no longer have any fear of what will happen after I die (it is quite remarkably different since I was saved). A verse in the bible says be ruthlessly scurges whom he loves. The same way that a bad parent never disciplines their kids and the kids do not fear them. A good parent is strict and fair but does inspire some level of fear. That alone is a reason to fear. I also provided many verses that suggest quite rightly that fear of God leads to right actions and a humble spirit. I am not going to chunk the bible and my reason and adopt the view of someone hostile to God.

but the understanding of who christ is still being debated...
by what criteria does one determine who christ is if there are many differing ideas about him?
There is not much division over what makes one a Christian. At least within the community of people who do not oppose God or rule his possability out before hand. The debate usually begins after that event or fact. Catholics say 80% faith plus works and 20% works alone. The protestants say 99% faith alone 1% something else. That gives an agregate approx 93%-95% aggreement of being born again as necessary to become a Christian. I do not care what the hostile group says their methods render their verdict meaningless in most cases.

i never said fear is primary...i asserted reality.
getting the bad news of loosing your job is a real thing that one must deal with. it's a reality. the way in which one chooses to deal with that reality is subjective. one can HOPE for a better outcome...by either doing nothing-praying or doing something..looking for a new job.
it's quite simple.
You can beat a dead horse into a pile of goo. For the sake of sanity let's say the fear factor among, reason, explanitory power, personal experience, prophecy, testimony, scientific claims, historical corroberation, and philisophic consistency so what does it have to do with your example. Your point was that it is a false hope based on a spurious conclusion derived from fear and that is false. For the heck of it lets say they are similar (but they aren't) so what???

Are you suggesting the stupid scientific method that even the scientist ignore is the only test for every category of reality. What a narrow boring world we would live in.

The universal consitency of ration intellegablity is assumed and far less than 1% is known. Claiming to know what happened millions of years ago is faith. We argue over cival war battles which happened less than two hundred years ago had witnesses and battle reports. We argue whether there was a Homer or a Shakespear or how many shakespears and the titles of Sonetts. Any untestable or unobservable claim is a guess (maybe a good one but time quickly diminishes that) but they claim it as fact. The same way they claim light speed is always 186,000 mi/sec. How do they know have they measured it everywhere. No, they assume (have faith that it is). I don't really care what they claim I just mind when they have differing standards or claim proof when it is at best a guess. Another would be that life evolved by itself as being true when there is actually a law of biology that says it can't happen and never has. Don't get me started on science.

religion is one method at arriving at a conclusion....the individual believer, or the religious adherent is always right by faith... a fallible criteria...
That is impossible. If two people have contradictory claims of faith concerning absolute truth they both can't be right. Both could be wrong but not both right. I think you just made this up as it does not exist in any religion or philosophy I have ever heard of. Faith does not necessarily equal truth. In fact most faith is wrong.