• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the right religion

camanintx

Well I can agree that my grammar skills stink however since that has absolutely nothing to do with anything here I hardly think it worth mentioning. It is not specious it has been a well-known fact for over a thousand years. It mentions the exact extent to which Nebuchadnezzar will accomplish his part and always says they when it mentions the total destruction. There is not a single exception. No argument can be made that that prophecy is not speaking about two (or more) attackers. I have no idea what all that grammatical stuff was supposed to do. They means in addition to Nebuchadnezzar.
Ezekiel 26:7-14 starts with "For thus saith the Lord God" and ends with "saith the Lord God" setting it apart from the rest of the chapter. When the pronoun "they" is used in these verses, it can only refer to "Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, a king of kings, from the north, with horses, and with chariots, and with horsemen, and companies, and much people" from verse 7. That's where your understanding of grammar fails, not in anything you have typed.

Suggesting that the "many nations" in verse 3 refers to other attacks on Tyre fails in verse 7 when Nebuchadrezzar is called "a king of kings", clearly referring to his rule over many nations. Besides, even if one accepts that Ezekiel 26 is referring to Alexander, Tyre was never made "a bare rock" nor was it never "built no more", was it? If Ezekiel 26 is flagship proof for the divine inspiration of scriptures, then you don't really have much.

Semjase

Time traveller
The right religion is the one who's teachings remain valid for infinity and never
proven incorrect, since all religions are preaching different things this
therefore leaves only one possible correct one which in it's self would seem
highly unlikely.

Muffled

Jesus in me
That was confusing. Are you mixing in some kind of reincarnation with Christianity? You seem to suggest that heaven will be one place and earth will be in another. This is not the case Biblically speaking. Heaven will be on Earth after the judgment and it's capitol will be the new Jerusalem. The Earth will be burned to a crisp and then allowed to grow back as intended (garden of Eden) and Christians will all live in heaven on the Earth. There will be no continuation of present conditions to return to.

All Things Made New
21 Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea. 2 Then I, John,[a] saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. 4 And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."
5 Then He who sat on the throne said, "Behold, I make all things new." And He said to me,[b] "Write, for these words are true and faithful."
Revelation 21:1-8 NKJV - All Things Made New - Now I saw a new - Bible Gateway

I am sure I have asked but I can't remember. Where is it you get what you believe from? Many of the claims you make are not part of any mainstream Christian group I have ever heard of. People have a right to believe whatever they wish I can just never get used to what people base those beliefs on. I try very very hard not to read into anything something I prefer and many things I believe the Bible states are not what I wished was true. I however do not find the same attitude in many others and can't help but see it implied by your claims, yet you have the absolute right to them none the less.

Side note: There is some indication that people who never heard the gospel will be judged accordingly but it indicates very little more than that.

In summary the kingdom of God and Heaven may not be identicle but are certainly inseperable and interconnected. New birth is how grace is applied and percieved. The Bible stresses an assurance of salvation (in the past tense) that can only be had if a line of demarcation is passed.

I believe re-incarnation is a Biblical and spiritual reality re: my thread on Scriptural debates.

Hence the diiferentiation between heaven and earth. Because Heaven is in the heavens and not on earth otherwise why would Jesus have us pray "on earth as it is in Heaven." One may also become confused by the Spiritual Kingdom of Heaven and the Physical Kingdom of Heaven. I am already in the Spiritual Kingdom but the Physical Kingdom comes later.

I believe there is not a shred of evidence to support this view.

I don't believe this is exactly the case. No doubt the earth will end by fire (and an earthquake) as a place that we know but there is no reference that I recall to crispiness. I will grant that it is logical to believe that the result of buring in many instances is ash. However I believe that metal simply melts. I also can see that it is highly likely for some flora and fauna to survive (including temporal humans) and to proliferate.

I disagree believing that a temporal human remnant will have chidren outside the environs of The New Jerusalem for one thousand years.

Jesus lives in me and speaks the words He wishes to speak. This is not so I would much prefer things to be different but I have to admit God is fair in doing these things.

I believe they are identical. I believe there is only one King who qualifies to rule oveer heaven and earth.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Personally I don't see any religion as the "right one" other then to the individual that believes it is, of course.

I believe if there is a God - the source would flow to all, and not become CLOGGED with dams/religions and their DOGMA, on the Spiritual River.

There may be a God - but humans create religions - and it shows when you read their holy books.

I believe the operative word is "I don't see."

Muffled

Jesus in me
If there is one right religion, it sure isn't clear which it is. I have read so much about all religions, I still have no idea what is right. Jews have their proofs, Christians have theirs, Muslims too, Hindus also, Sikhs... There's too much to go through! There's nothing easy about all of this nor is it clear!

Which to believe, Jews about Jesus not filling all requirements or Christians about him being part of the Trinity or Muslims being one God only, Jesus being a prophet and Muhammad being the last messenger? Hindus, about Brahman the highest deity manifested in many attributes? They have some of the oldest texts!

Everything is so confusing, there's no answer! I have no idea how anyone just choses one... There's nothing simple about this! It seems so simple and clear to some people but to me nothing is more muddy.

Mat. 12:33 Either make the tree good, and its fruit good; or make the tree corrupt, and its fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by its fruit.
34 Ye offspring of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
35 The good man out of his good treasure bringeth forth good things: and the evil man out of his evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.

Joh 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same beareth much fruit: for apart from me ye can do nothing.

Last edited:

RJ50

Muffled however sincerely you believe in your faith, at the end of the day it is only a belief. You have no proper proof any of what you believe is actually true.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Mat. 12:33 Either make the tree good, and its fruit good; or make the tree corrupt, and its fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by its fruit.
34 Ye offspring of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
35 The good man out of his good treasure bringeth forth good things: and the evil man out of his evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.

Joh 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same beareth much fruit: for apart from me ye can do nothing.

I have no idea what these mean and what you're trying to say. Biblical language is so confusing. :sorry1:

RJ50

I rather doubt that those who spout verses from the Bible have much idea of its meaning either, it just sounds good to them!

Muffled

Jesus in me
Muffled however sincerely you believe in your faith, at the end of the day it is only a belief. You have no proper proof any of what you believe is actually true.

At the end of the day belief will determine actions which will determine outcome. As the saying goes the prof is in the pudding.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I have no idea what these mean and what you're trying to say. Biblical language is so confusing. :sorry1:

It means that many religions seek to have members do good but the members are not able to do so but a Christian can do good because He is enbaled by the Holy Spirit.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I rather doubt that those who spout verses from the Bible have much idea of its meaning either, it just sounds good to them!

I am sure I have met a few.

I suppose biblical references can produce a harmony but I believe in the substantive concepts that the Bible conveys. I will grant that an understanding of the Bible is beyond the scope of an unbeliever but I will admit to being a bit oblique in my reference, because things are so obvious to me that I don't think they need explaining.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Ezekiel 26:7-14 starts with "For thus saith the Lord God" and ends with "saith the Lord God" setting it apart from the rest of the chapter. When the pronoun "they" is used in these verses, it can only refer to "Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, a king of kings, from the north, with horses, and with chariots, and with horsemen, and companies, and much people" from verse 7. That's where your understanding of grammar fails, not in anything you have typed.
Suggesting that the "many nations" in verse 3 refers to other attacks on Tyre fails in verse 7 when Nebuchadnezzar is called "a king of kings", clearly referring to his rule over many nations. Besides, even if one accepts that Ezekiel 26 is referring to Alexander, Tyre was never made "a bare rock" nor was it never "built no more", was it? If Ezekiel 26 is flagship proof for the divine inspiration of scriptures, then you don't really have much.

Well at least this is a new twist on this tired old claim. First tyre was made a bare rock (unless you bias renders you ineffective to understand common language use) with rubble strewn over it. It had such an abundance of bare sunbaked rock that it was used to dry fishing nets. That can't be done on a dirty surface or one with vegetation. I think I am banging my head on the wall here, but one last time. The prophecy says specifically that "it", "you", and "your" city will never be rebuilt. He was mad at the Phoenicians and they never rebuilt Tyre and in fact ceased to exist all together politically starting from this event. If you feel that another city built by a different people in the same geographical area is a violation of that prophecy then you are doing so by preference and it has no value when honestly seeking answers. If God were to kill every one who ever built anything in the area in the future he would be a malevolent insane God. He was not angered by the geographical coordinates nor the stones or dirt. Lastly I never said Tyre was a flagship prophecy, I actually said it was one of the most picked on, mainly because of ignorance and bias but still remarkably accurate. If for some reason you got mad enough at the neighbors that you declared the ther house would be destroyed by you and never rebuilt. Then you burned it down but 100 years later some people who had nothing to do with anything show up a build a new house there. Anyone who claimed your original prediction false would only do so because they must, regardless of intellectual and even spiritual cost. It's just silly.

For your you v/s them problems this site exhaustively explains it in undeniable detailed logic. http://www.tektonics.org/uz/zeketyre.html
Pay strict attention to the technical language use. It is perfect.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I believe re-incarnation is a Biblical and spiritual reality re: my thread on Scriptural debates.
I will try to but does it not bother you that getting re-incarnation out of the Bible is something only a vanishingly small amount of scholars would agree on. Even the secular or hostile ones.
Hence the differentiation between heaven and earth. Because Heaven is in the heavens and not on earth otherwise why would Jesus have us pray "on earth as it is in Heaven?" One may also become confused by the Spiritual Kingdom of Heaven and the Physical Kingdom of Heaven. I am already in the Spiritual Kingdom but the Physical Kingdom comes later.
I think the confusion is over the fact that the Bible teaches Heaven and earth are currently two distinct locations but one day heaven will be the Earth. Christ gives the impression the heaven is in "construction" and will descend to earth that has been burned up and rebuilt Garden of Eden style.
I believe there is not a shred of evidence to support this view.
There can't be any physical evidence of something yet to happen but you must have missed the scriptural evidence.
All Things Made New
21 Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea. 2 Then I, John,[a] saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. 4 And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."
5 Then He who sat on the throne said, "Behold, I make all things new." And He said to me,[b] "Write, for these words are true and faithful."
Revelation 21:1-8 NKJV - All Things Made New - Now I saw a new - Bible Gateway
I don't believe this is exactly the case. No doubt the earth will end by fire (and an earthquake) as a place that we know but there is no reference that I recall to crispiness. I will grant that it is logical to believe that the result of burning in many instances is ash. However I believe that metal simply melts. I also can see that it is highly likely for some flora and fauna to survive (including temporal humans) and to proliferate.
You may use any adjectives that you wish. The point is and was that the corrupt Earth will be cleansed by GOD's refining fire to prepare it to be placed back into its garden of Eden perfect condition.
I disagree believing that a temporal human remnant will have children outside the environs of The New Jerusalem for one thousand years.
I try and avoid these premillennial post millennial debates.

Jesus lives in me and speaks the words He wishes to speak. This is not so I would much prefer things to be different but I have to admit God is fair in doing these things.
I have forgotten what this was about and the conversation is so old I have lost track. I think I meant I have noticed beliefs you hold that only a fraction of a tiny fraction believe. Which is fine but not something that would leave me comfortable, not that I follow the crown either.
I believe they are identical. I believe there is only one King who qualifies to rule over heaven and earth.
I can agree with that.

camanintx

Well at least this is a new twist on this tired old claim. First tyre was made a bare rock (unless you bias renders you ineffective to understand common language use) with rubble strewn over it. It had such an abundance of bare sunbaked rock that it was used to dry fishing nets. That can't be done on a dirty surface or one with vegetation.
Except Tyre was never bare. Even when Alexander conquered the city in 332 BC, only half of the city was destroyed. As long as any of the city remained standing, the prophecy fails.

I think I am banging my head on the wall here, but one last time. The prophecy says specifically that "it", "you", and "your" city will never be rebuilt. He was mad at the Phoenicians and they never rebuilt Tyre and in fact ceased to exist all together politically starting from this event. If you feel that another city built by a different people in the same geographical area is a violation of that prophecy then you are doing so by preference and it has no value when honestly seeking answers.
Ignoring the fact that Phoenicia fell to Cyrus the Great in 539 BC, two centuries before Alexander, Tyre has been continuously inhabited and continuously rebuilt since it was founded in 2730 BC.

Lastly I never said Tyre was a flagship prophecy, I actually said it was one of the most picked on, mainly because of ignorance and bias but still remarkably accurate.
Maybe you should go back and read post #2818 again.

For your you v/s them problems this site exhaustively explains it in undeniable detailed logic. http://www.tektonics.org/uz/zeketyre.html
Pay strict attention to the technical language use. It is perfect.
More like an undeniable logical fallacy. Implying that "they" refers to Alexander the Great instead of the "army with many people" named in Ezekiel 26:7 just because he conquered the city in 332 BC is an exercise in affirming the consequent.

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Except Tyre was never bare. Even when Alexander conquered the city in 332 BC, only half of the city was destroyed. As long as any of the city remained standing, the prophecy fails.
Well I see the hyperbolic literalism (or the last refuge of the defiant) is in full force.

Here is the verse:
4 And they shall destroy the walls of Tyrus, and break down her towers: I will also scrape her dust from her, and make her like the top of a rock.

Few would dispute that Alexander fulfilled this verse, though Nebuchadnezzar undoubtedly started the process of breaking down walls and towers. It was Alex, though, who turned the rubble of Tyre into a causeway to defeat the island city.
One will of course, knowing this culture's literature, grant hyperbolic excess to the claim; it would be unreasonable to demand that every microscopic grain be removed, and absurdly unreasonable to suppose that modern sands in the same place detract from the fulfillment, as of course sands shift and blow about constantly, and would not be reckoned as being part of the city itself.

Here it is in the actual language it was originally set down in.
וְשִׁחֲתוּ חֹמֹות צֹר וְהָֽרְסוּ מִגְדָּלֶיהָ וְסִֽחֵיתִי עֲפָרָהּ מִמֶּנָּה וְנָתַתִּי אֹותָהּ לִצְחִיחַ סָֽלַע׃.

I have already explained how Greek and Hebrew are not perfectly translated by English many times in this case.
tsĕchiyach
means: "Her, like the top"
and
cela`
means: "1) crag, cliff, rock
a) crag, cliff "

In what way was Tyre not made like the top of a crag?

If you read secular history Nebuchadnezzar destroyed the mainland city and damaged the fortress the Alexander spend months systematically testing the entire cities walls and tearing everything down he possibly could. This was no ordinary siege. They hung his messengers from the walls which infuriated him and he then decided to level the place. He even went so far as to capture entire navies, buy other ones, build the first ships that ever used rams, and construct the largest siege towers ever built. When he was through the place had far more in common with a mountain crag that a fortress. Plus you are still arbitrarily assigning hyper literal definitions to romantic and apocalyptic language methods I assume because that is the only argument that can be found. Literature is to be understood in the spirit is was penned. Anything else is useless bias and the word bare does not even appear in the original language.

Ignoring the fact that Phoenicia fell to Cyrus the Great in 539 BC, two centuries before Alexander, Tyre has been continuously inhabited and continuously rebuilt since it was founded in 2730 BC.
As far as I know Cyrus never attacked Tyre. Tyre was at the time part of or a vassal of the Babylonian empire which is what Cyrus conquered.
Babylon fell to Cyrus the Great of Persia in 539 BC and the Jews and other displaced persons were freed to return to their homelands. Tyre accepted the rule of Cyrus of Persia and becomes a Persian vassal state for the next two centuries. Phoenicia, including Tyre, was part of the 5th Persian Satrapy, which ran from Egypt in the south to Cilicia in the north. History of Persia. Cyrus the Great took little interest in his vassal cities as long as their tribute was paid (350 talents for the 5th Satrapy according to Herodotus). http://www.ancientcash.info/page-2/Tyre.html
The Bible is speaking about destruction not allegiance. Cyrus did not destroy Tyre but Alexander did and even if some of what you said was true it was never rebuilt by the Phoenicians which is what was predicted. What other people did there later has nothing to do with anything.
Maybe you should go back and read post #2818 again.
That statement about flagship:
Ezekiel 26 and the Tyre prophecy is a flagship proof text for those who claim divine inspiration for the Scriptures. Let's see if it bears out under assorted criticisms and examination. I first wrote this essay some years ago and in 2003 had some new insights and arguments to add
did not come from me it was from this site. http://www.tektonics.org/uz/zeketyre.html In my experience it is usually the one selected by ignorant or hyper literalists (as is arbitrarily needed) critics who find prophecy inconvenient. You connected the terms with me and while some may consider that a "flagship" prophecy, I do not. It is remarkable but there are hundreds more detailed and simple prophecies that even the desperate can't cling to plausible deniability concerning.

More like an undeniable logical fallacy. Implying that "they" refers to Alexander the Great instead of the "army with many people" named in Ezekiel 26:7 just because he conquered the city in 332 BC is an exercise in affirming the consequent.
Well that sounded fancy enough I almost didn't mind it being wrong.

One known proposal to refute the assertion that "they" in verse 12 refers to a plural antecedent is by comparing it Ezekiel 29:17-20, which is alleged to be similar in structure.
In fact it is not similar in structure at all, and has quite different contents. There are no "nations" in view in this short passage to serve as candidates for an antecedent of the pronoun "they", or anything else that can serve as a possible antecedent. There is no chiastic structure as the above noted. There is also no "I/They" pairing and consistent comparability of unique actions.

Let's look at the passage closely:
  • 17 And it came to pass in the seven and twentieth year, in the first month, in the first day of the month, the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
Initially it is unreasonable to take a passage written 17 years later and compare it with the previous oracle, as though Chapters 26 and 29 were read and written in succession as we read it now. Any such comparison must be done critically and not on mere surface resemblances, which is all this objection does.
  • 18 Son of man, Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon caused his army to serve a great service against Tyrus: every head was made bald, and every shoulder was peeled: yet had he no wages, nor his army, for Tyrus, for the service that he had served against it:
Note that "he" and "his army" are highlighted together in a way that they are not in Ezekiel 26. During the Tyre prophecy, Nebuchadnezzar's army is personified under singular references to Nebuchadnezzar himself, or treated as his possession, a non-personal entity in which horses and chariots are listed with horsemen together.
That is not what is happening here: The army is allowed to have its own identity, in order to emphasize that "every head was made bald, and every shoulder was rubbed raw" - a simple, hyperbolic way of expressing how much trouble the army had to go to against Tyre. http://www.tektonics.org/uz/zeketyre.html

The bolded section is another example of literary style. People who will do anything or assign any arbitrary standard needed for dismissal might say that surely not every head was bald or every shoulder raw. However those terms are very common ways of expressing the effects of wearing armor over long sieges or campaigns and is present in many culture’s literature. The same way we know that Shakespeare did not meet the breach of a gun but a breech made in a castle wall we know what the writer of Ezekiel was saying. There are even very precise and consistent rules of Hermeneutics well established for hundreds of years to accomplish this easy task.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Camanintx

I have reviewed our coversations and have found some things I need to mention.

First: I have pointed out that "bare" rock is a translation not the original words even though bare would be a suitable description if it was indeed the original word used. I claimed that bare was not even the translation in verse 4 however I believe it is in verse 14. This makes no actual difference in anything but I wanted to point out my claims about the translation about verse 4 are not true concerning verse 14. That is not to say that "bare" is the correct translation of even verse 14.

Here is the translation I have: And I will make thee like the top of a rock: thou shalt be [a place] to spread nets upon; thou shalt be built no more: for I the LORD have spoken [it], saith the Lord GOD.

The original word once again is Cela and it means: a) crag, cliff.

It basically says that the stroghold would be turned into a rocky mess that would only be fit for drying nets (which is exactly what happened). Your hyper literal understanding of a word that isn't original anyway is incorrect but common for people who just can't let this prohecy stand, for reasons that have nothing to do with it's accuracy.

Second: I found another site that was more detailed about the use of they and he as well as your other typical issues and wanted to include it as a last attempt so to speak to point out the flaws in your reasoning.

A: Why many people make mistakes concerning prophecy:

Any proper exegesis of Ezekiel 26 must be made from the understanding of Biblical Hebrew prophecy -- what is the prophet doing when he speaks for Yahweh? What kind of event is he relating, and to whom, and for when? These kinds of questions are rarely asked, and if they are asked they are usually not answered in any way which is coherent with the cultural, theological, and historical setting of the prophet.
Anatomy of a Biblical Prophecy

It must be understood that Ezekiel was recording visions in his own words not giving a historical blow by blow description of events.

B: Notes concerning the "they or nations and he" confusion.
vs. 3 "Therefore, thus says the Lord Yahweh: Behold, I [am] against you Tyre and I will bring up against you nations many as brings up the sea its waves."
Note, the waves of the sea covering the city is metaphorical, NOT literal ... God will bring the nations against Tyre in such vast numbers, and with such might, that it will be like the waves of a sea overcoming the beach. This is a certain interpretation because the Hebrew prefix used here for "as" is used in *every* known instance to draw a similar relationship between two different things or ideas. Hence, the nations will be LIKE the waves of the sea in their numbers and power.

This makes it clear that like waves nations will flow and ebb over time against Tyre, not in one single flood.

The Hebrew pronoun for "they" is a suffix attached to the verb "shall destroy," thus indicating a relationship with "nations." The nations shall do this. The phrase then immediately shifts pronoun referents to the first person singular in the suffix attached to the Perfect Common Piel verb "shall destroy," indicating that while it is the nations who are the agencies for this activity, we are again reminded that it is the Lord Yahweh ("Adoni Yahweh") who is doing this. The imagery used here is fully consistent with similar examples of Semitic hyperbole found elsewhere in the Old Testament and in extra-biblical Hebraic sources, and thus should not be understood in simply a literal fashion. This is especially true since the imagery is of the Lord Yahweh Himself doing this. And, it should also be noted that there is a definite play on words present in the Hebrew: The Hebrew name for Tyre is "Tsor," which is formed from the same root as is the Hebrew word for rock ... a metaphor too strong for the prophet to pass up (in essence, "The City of Rock will be scraped bare of the city, leaving only the Rock."). Be the agency of destruction a human army or the hand of the Divine, the metaphor is one of utter and complete destruction. A handful of sand -- or dunes full, for that matter -- left on the rocks does NOT constitute a failure of the intended action because the object of the prophecy is NOT the inanimate substance of Tyre but, rather, the people -- the Phoenicians -- and their environs.

C: The rebuilding of the city but not by the Phonecians:

What is being said here, and to whom is it being said? Yahweh is telling Tyre that it will not be rebuilt, that it will be utterly destroyed. Utilizing the same Semitic hyperbole found in the Prophetic Abstract at the beginning of the periocope, Divinely sanctioned destruction is being proclaimed to the people of the city of Tyre. It was the Phoenicians at Tyre that were guilty of the sins outlined in verse 1, and it is they who are destroyed ... they and their buildings are laid waste. If people now live at the site, an issue I understand is open for debate in many circles, this would in no way conflict with the proclamation of the Lord Yahweh against Tyre that he would destroy them. He did. Indeed, the Phoenicians themselves are no more. Those people who live on or near the site of Ancient Tyre are not Phoenicians, and hence their presence on or near the site doesn't constitute a problem for the validity of this prophecy. Such people do not share the Phoenician culture, they do not share the Phoenician language, they do not sing Phoenician songs or play Phoenician music, and their ancestry is such a mixed bag of peoples that, while there may be a percentage of Phoenician blood in them, such is absolutely irrelevant to the fact that the Phoenicians themselves -- as a distinct people with a distinct culture and language -- are gone. A simple look at the region, and its history, is all one needs to do to support the position that the Phoenicians are no longer in existence. There is no "Phoenicia" in the UN, no team at the Olympic games, no language currently being spoken (though echoes of its written form can be seen in Greek and Latin and, hence, English), no embassy in Washington, no cultural trade mission, no military, no nothing. The Lebanese are not Phoenicians, even though they live on the property. To say that they are Phoenicians would be similar to making the claim that Chile is really the Inca Empire! Nevertheless, some Atheists will try to claim that, since Lebanese live on or near the site of Ancient Tyre, the prophecy failed. Their claim is absurd, This is a prophecy not to a piece of land -- not to a bunch of rocks -- but to a people. Arguments to the contrary are groundless at best or, at worst, compelled by an over-riding desire to find fault with the Bible and with this prophecy in particular.

I can't make it any clearer and so will not attempt it. Facts have no power over something someone wishes to believe and so at some point the diminishing rate of return renders the effort meaningless. We are very close to that point but I wanted to post one more shot at it.

camanintx

Well I see the hyperbolic literalism (or the last refuge of the defiant) is in full force.

The only hyperbole is in Ezekiel's predictions of the destruction of Tyre. It was never made like the top of a rock (26:4). Nebuchadrezzar never entered it's gates (26:10). The sound of it's harps are still heard (26:13). Each time it has been conquered it has been rebuilt (26:14). It has never been a desolate city (26:19). It has never been covered by great waters (26:19). And no one has sought without finding it because it has never been lost (26:21).

One known proposal to refute the assertion that "they" in verse 12 refers to a plural antecedent is by comparing it Ezekiel 29:17-20, which is alleged to be similar in structure.
In fact it is not similar in structure at all, and has quite different contents. There are no "nations" in view in this short passage to serve as candidates for an antecedent of the pronoun "they", or anything else that can serve as a possible antecedent. There is no chiastic structure as the above noted. There is also no "I/They" pairing and consistent comparability of unique actions.
One doesn't need to go as far as 29:17-20 to refute the assertion that "they" in verse 12 refers to anyone but Nebuchadrezzar. It's right there in verse 7 where it names "Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, a king of kings, from the north, with horses, and with chariots, and with horsemen, and companies, and much people." And before you claim that the "many nations" in verse 3 changes this, you should explain what a "king of kings" meant in those days.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
[/font][/color]
The only hyperbole is in Ezekiel's predictions of the destruction of Tyre. It was never made like the top of a rock (26:4). Nebuchadnezzar never entered it's gates (26:10). The sound of it's harps are still heard (26:13). Each time it has been conquered it has been rebuilt (26:14). It has never been a desolate city (26:19). It has never been covered by great waters (26:19). And no one has sought without finding it because it has never been lost (26:21).
My goodness is there nothing clear enough that it can't be obscured for the sake of non belief.
1. Nebuchadnezzar actually destroyed the entire mainland city of Tyre. I think he must have entered it's gates in order to accomplish this. He even destroyed much of the entrance to the island fortress it's self which included it's famous main gate. He did not use hell fire missiles or 155mm howitzers, though I half expect it to be soon claimed he did if needed.
2. Such people do not share the Phoenician culture, they do not share the Phoenician language, they do not sing Phoenician songs or play Phoenician music, and their ancestry is such a mixed bag of peoples that, while there may be a percentage of Phoenician blood in them, such is absolutely irrelevant to the fact that the Phoenicians themselves -- as a distinct people with a distinct culture and language -- are gone. Note, at verse 13, that it shifts again from "they" to "I." This, as we discovered earlier, indicates an important note of the actor in this verse. The actor is no longer the nations, but the Lord Yahweh, who authorized the activity of "the nations" and of Nebuchadnezzar. It is God doing the "dirty deeds" in all of this, regardless of the agency. And, note here what Ezekiel is reporting God to be doing ... the music is ended; by implication, the art and culture of the Phoenicians at Tyre is done away with.
http://www.revneal.org/Writings/tyreprophecy.html
Find the Phonecian seat at the UN or the latest top ten Phoenician song and then you may have a point.
3. The mainland city was destroyed by Nebuchadnezzar as is recorded by secular history as well as the fact that Alexander killed every single person in the rest of Tyre that was not in the temple and even sold them into slavery. How many people lived on a rock used for drying nets do you suppose?
4. Even the secular history books I used in college record the non existence of mainland Tyre at the time Alexander's own historian on the actual scene said he killed every single inhabitant of Tyre and sold the rest into slavery. How many Phoenician’s do you know there at that time? Do you have a single scrap of testimony from a Phoenician that said I was there and lived through it? Where are you getting this stuff from? Not here:
Hanson, Victor Davis. The Wars of the Ancient Greeks: And Their Invention of Western Military Culture. General editor John Keegan. (London: Cassell, 1999), 166, 178-180:
Within two years of his ascension to the Macedonian kingship in the autumn of 336 b.c., Alexander the Great, through murder and military force, eliminated all dynastic rivals and secessionary monarchs. To understand the warmaking of Alexander, we must first appreciate the 21-year-old’s decision in September 335 b.c. to erase from the collective memory of Greece the entire city of Thebes—in many ways the most illustrious city in Hellenic history. The people of Thebes had rebelled against Philip’s league of Greek states in the hope that the young Alexander was either dead himself or too inexperienced to stop them.
The destruction of Thebes was no aberration, but simply a foretaste of the entire Alexandran approach to military practice so successful later in Asia. The ultimatum of surrender, the preference of lethal force to negotiation, the subsequent obliteration of the enemy, the inevitable murder of women and children and razing of house and home, the dire warning to do the same to other would-be insurrectionists, and always the dramatic and mythic flair to mask the barbarity: in the case of Thebes the sparing of the poet Pindar’s house to emphasize his Hellenism—all were part of the feigned reluctance to murder the innocent.
Very conservative figures suggest that in the space of just eight years Alexander the Great had slain well over 200,000 men in pitched battle alone. It is also a conservative estimate that a quarter of a million urban residents were massacred outright between 334 and 324 b.c., most of them civilian defenders who unfortunately lived in the path of Alexander’s trek east.
The most notorious and well-documented carnage, however, was at Tyre. After months of heroic defense, Tyre fell on 29 July 332 b.c. Most military historians emphasize only the brilliance and tenacity of the Macedonian besiegers, forgetting that their engines and science were simply the means to an end—in this case, the murder of innocents. We have no exact record of how many were lost in the city’s defense, but our ancient sources more or less agree that on the city’s final day of existence nearly 7,000 to 8,000 residents were butchered in the streets.
Two thousand surviving males were then crucified as a lesson of the futility of resistance to Alexander the Great and his quest for a Brotherhood of Man. Perhaps anywhere from 20,000 to 30,000 women and children were enslaved. Tyre, like Thebes before, thus ceased to exist as a community.

5. Apparently telling you of, giving the scholarly examinations, and even providing the statements themselves that are metaphorical is of no use. Cognitive dissonance is unaffected by facts because it does not value them. For the third time, the waters are nation’s not literal water as is used in many verses elsewhere. If your preconceived determinations will not allow the Bible to mean what it was intended to, what is the point of reading it? This is nuts. I do not read Newton pre-determined that calculus is wrong.
6. After Tyre was destroyed and every person crucified or sold into slavery as recorded by an actual eyewitness exactly how is it you went back in time and witnessed what you claimed? Every single historical work secular or theological I have ever read (and that is quite a few, as I am an amateur military historian) records these exact same events.
Here is the verse: "I shall bring (give you terrors) terrors on you, and you will be no more; though you will be sought, you will never be found again," declares the Lord God.
Please feel free to go and find the culture inhabiting the city referred to as "you" in this verse. Good dang luck. He says "you" five times in one verse and you still insist on an "it" interpretation that would not affect anything anyway.
This is becoming quite ridiculous. Continued below for no apparent purpose:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Continued for the purposes of arbitrary dismissal. Just kidding. Mostly.

One doesn't need to go as far as 29:17-20 to refute the assertion that "they" in verse 12 refers to anyone but Nebuchadnezzar. It's right there in verse 7 where it names "Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, a king of kings, from the north, with horses, and with chariots, and with horsemen, and companies, and much people." And before you claim that the "many nations" in verse 3 changes this, you should explain what a "king of kings" meant in those days.
That might mean something if I had claimed that references to Nebuchadnezzar were always singular. I have already done this twice and provided the sites that stated technically why exactly this is so. I will do so once again but that is it.
The Literary Structure of Ezekiel 26:1–14
A close reading of Ezekiel 26:1–14 reveals a three-part structure in the passage. Two “many nations” (“they”) sections are placed before and after a “Nebuchadnezzar” (“he,” “many people”) centerpiece. An outline of this passage makes it clear what the prophet was really saying. It will be seen that Ezekiel 26:1–14 actually agrees with 29:17–20. The structure of this passage shows the “many nations” who will come, one after another like waves of the sea, are the ones who get the spoil—not Nebuchadnezzar.
The Metaphor of the Waves in Ezekiel 26:3 Shows One Nation After Another is Involved
Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I am against you, O Tyre, and I will bring many nations against you, like the sea casting up its waves (Ez 26:3).
Carol Newsom of Emory University has grasped the significance of this metaphor very nicely in the following remarks:
It is the utter restlessness of the ocean. No one wave may bring full destruction… It is the unending succession of waves that destroys even the strongest rock…Equally, the Babylonian opponents of Tyre, included as the “many nations,” are imaged in such a way that they appear not as independent powers, but merely as episodes in Yahweh’s patient, powerful sovereignty (1987:192, emphasis added).
http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post/2009/12/07/ezekiel-261-14-a-proof-text-for-inerrancy-or-fallibility-of-the-old-testament.aspx
I have only quoted a small portion of a very long and technical explanation at that site that has no refutation. If it is not good enough for you it is because nothing ever could be.
King of Kings means many different things in the Bible and has no implication here. It's main meaning is similar to Emperor but can mean lord of creation and anything in between. It is not strictly a Biblical concept but middle eastern. My head is too sore and the wall much too preferred by you to justify continuing along these lines.

Here is another great site that exhaustively answers your contentions yet again. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...0UR2larEYMNj3301E_zCg&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.eWU

Last edited: