• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the right religion

1robin

Christian/Baptist
As I suggested to you earlier, I'm pretty sure you're confused about contradiction. If only you'd been able to address the example I gave, rather than ignoring it, maybe you would have a better understanding now.

Tell me, is the following claim contradictory or not?

Jaylo, standing naked in the Antarctic, is hot.

If you can't see that the claim is both contradictory and non-contradictory at once... well, I doubt you have any chance at all of understanding the Bible -- at least not so well as those of us who are familiar with language and how it works.

The Bible is written in human language, after all.
Oh no you don't. I am not going down the futile Jaylo black hole again. I needed therapy after that last trivial go around the drain hole. I do not think anyone named Ambiguous will be able to straighten out absolutes or semi-absolutes.

AmbiguousGuy

Oh no you don't. I am not going down the futile Jaylo black hole again. I needed therapy after that last trivial go around the drain hole. I do not think anyone named Ambiguous will be able to straighten out absolutes or semi-absolutes.

You've never addressed the Jaylo question.

I don't think that a person who fears such a question has much to teach anyone at all. Nothing about theology, that's for sure.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
You've never addressed the Jaylo question.

I don't think that a person who fears such a question has much to teach anyone at all. Nothing about theology, that's for sure.
See what I mean. I addressed it several times and exhaustively explained why something so trivial and meaningless deserved nothing beyond what I supplied. There is no bottom to that hole. I do not fear irrationality, meaninglessness, nor triviality I ignore it.

AmbiguousGuy

See what I mean. I addressed it several times and exhaustively explained why something so trivial and meaningless deserved nothing beyond what I supplied. There is no bottom to that hole. I do not fear irrationality, meaninglessness, nor triviality I ignore it.

See what I mean? You've never addressed it and I doubt you ever will. Yes, it's a bit intimidating, but why not give it a try? We can't learn and grow if we allow questions the power to intimidate us.

Is the sentence contradictory or not? You've just claimed that contradiction is an easily-spotted, objectively-true feature. So what's the answer? Is my sentence contradictory or not?

If you won't address it, I don't think you have anything to teach anyone, not about theology.

Sorry. That's my honest opinion.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
See what I mean? You've never addressed it and I doubt you ever will. Yes, it's a bit intimidating, but why not give it a try? We can't learn and grow if we allow questions the power to intimidate us.

Is the sentence contradictory or not? You've just claimed that contradiction is an easily-spotted, objectively-true feature. So what's the answer? Is my sentence contradictory or not?

If you won't address it, I don't think you have anything to teach anyone, not about theology.

Sorry. That's my honest opinion.
Fine let's adopt this fantasy world of yours. I never did and never will. Next!!!! If you came back to reality or did the slightest review I have answered this many times and that was way more than it deserved. Actually I have a deal for you. If you can find a single well respected and well credentialed professional linguist, or philosopher that ever used Jaylo as you have I will discuss it. If you can't ten you must admit it is meaningless. Deal?

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Yeah. I have no reason to believe that any other person knows more about God than I do.

That just doesn't make sense.

Exactly.

Personal experience is personal experience. Religion is a personal experience, not an objective "fact" that has to be taught. If you learn religion, you don't live it.

Many Christians today claim that Christianity isn't a religion but a relationship, which means that if they're right, Christianity isn't taught, but experienced. In other words, "words" won't get you there (like the Bible). Only mediation, prayer, etc.

That's my opinion at the moment. It might change in the next 5 minutes. :D

AmbiguousGuy

Fine let's adopt this fantasy world of yours. I never did and never will. Next!!!! If you came back to reality or did the slightest review I have answered this many times and that was way more than it deserved. Actually I have a deal for you. If you can find a single well respected and well credentialed professional linguist, or philosopher that ever used Jaylo as you have I will discuss it. If you can't ten you must admit it is meaningless. Deal?

You're such a treasure for the forum. So entertaining. I imagine a guy sitting up in the branches of a tall tree. He's shouting down at an African lion, "I am NOT afraid of you! I have wrestled with you many times, hand to hand. It's just that I find this tree more comfortable than being down there on the ground right now!"

What fun.

Anyway....

Contradictory or not?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
You're such a treasure for the forum. So entertaining. I imagine a guy sitting up in the branches of a tall tree. He's shouting down at an African lion, "I am NOT afraid of you! I have wrestled with you many times, hand to hand. It's just that I find this tree more comfortable than being down there on the ground right now!"

What fun.

Anyway....

Contradictory or not?
You failed the test. I will give you one additional chance since it is Friday to meet my challenge and even an alternate. Since you can't and will not find any respected scholar who used that bizarre and meaningless whatever you call it instead explain why it has merit that only you and no other professionally paid scholar could apparently apprehend. I checked I have answer that trivial thing twice and even said why it was not even worth that in exhaustive detail. I will go even further what is it that apparently you and you alone think is so profound about a simple context half baked child's paradox? Heck I will give you credit for inventing something that sounds impressive regardless of whether it is even true.

AmbiguousGuy

You failed the test. I will give you one additional chance since it is Friday to meet my challenge and even an alternate. Since you can't and will not find any respected scholar who used that bizarre and meaningless whatever you call it instead explain why it has merit that only you and no other professionally paid scholar could apparently apprehend. I checked I have answer that trivial thing twice and even said why it was not even worth that in exhaustive detail. I will go even further what is it that apparently you and you alone think is so profound about a simple context half baked child's paradox? Heck I will give you credit for inventing something that sounds impressive regardless of whether it is even true.

OK. Run away, run away. If a simple question terrifies a person like an African lion terrifies a person, well.... I'm not sure what I can do about that.

I noticed in another thread that you claimed expertise in theology/philosophy. It made me spew my milk. Seriously.

Philosophers don't fear questions. Only preachers fear questions.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
OK. Run away, run away. If a simple question terrifies a person like an African lion terrifies a person, well.... I'm not sure what I can do about that.

I noticed in another thread that you claimed expertise in theology/philosophy. It made me spew my milk. Seriously.

Philosophers don't fear questions. Only preachers fear questions.
later. I am out of time.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I think religion most of the time means adherence to dogmas, rules, traditions, and pre-set beliefs. A true religion would be the one where a person connect (re-connects) with God him/herself, on a personal level, and not through proxy. (With proxy I mean to have belief based on someone else's belief and opinions, like believing in the Bible version of God just because it's written in a book by some mysterious men in ancient times.) It's better to find God on your own, than to find God of someone else.

I think a reasonable analogy would be of someone trying to find a place by hit or miss while another uses Mapquest or a GPS. One might get there or one might get lost without a guide.

I believe the Bible is God inspired so it serves as a better guide than any human philosopher could devise. Also maps are based on observation (to keep the analogy going) and the Bible is based on observations of God working.

I agree this is best but I believe the Bible guides one into the personal relationship.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Given that the right religion is said by James to be the one that helps the widows the orphans and attempts to be faultless before God...I would say that those who try to live good lives (I.e. follow the laws) and help those around them...are the ones of the pure/right religion.

I don't believe pure religion and right religion are the same thing.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Yeah. I have no reason to believe that any other person knows more about God than I do.

That just doesn't make sense.

I am willing to test that hypothesis with a contest but that would be outside the scope of this thread.

I believe it makes sense to have an assessment that takes into consideration the possibility that someone might know more than me.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I think a reasonable analogy would be of someone trying to find a place by hit or miss while another uses Mapquest or a GPS. One might get there or one might get lost without a guide.
Ok. Let's go with that analogy.

But, first, the Bible is 2,000 year old. It's more like an outdated Thompson map guide with roads that don't exist anymore, roads missing, and it's for Palestine, but I want to go to New York!

I believe the Bible is God inspired so it serves as a better guide than any human philosopher could devise. Also maps are based on observation (to keep the analogy going) and the Bible is based on observations of God working.
I tried it for 30 years, and the reason why I left Christianity was that it didn't guide me or my family to go through the problems we had. We felt lost. And we tried for many years.

If you have to go to city and use an outdated map and you try it for years and years and you never get to the city but end up in the desert or in the ocean... what would you do? Get a new map!

I agree this is best but I believe the Bible guides one into the personal relationship.
It is best for you. That's the key. It works for you. It didn't work for me at the end. It did for many years, but then things happened and it didn't work anymore. Hence, we had to follow our hearts.

So in the end, it really comes down to you and how you work it. The Bible probably works for you because you can interpret it on a subjective level to fit your life. But if you get into a situation where the Bible can't map it for you, you're still on your own.

AmbiguousGuy

I am willing to test that hypothesis with a contest but that would be outside the scope of this thread.
Great! That's exciting. A contest to see who knows more about God. What fun.

Do you want to write the first message... or me?

I believe it makes sense to have an assessment that takes into consideration the possibility that someone might know more than me.
Yeah. I guess I'm just not a follower. But I have always looked for someone who knows more about God than I do and have never met such a person. I don't even know how I would recognize such a person. How can you tell if someone knows more about God than you do?

FranklinMichaelV.3

I could have pure deisel fuel which is a fuel but not the right fuel for my car.

Except that is not the regards we are using Pure in.

If you want better. Religion that is accepted as pure and faultless...or Pure and genuine, or pure and holy.

Also it's the peacemakers...who will be called children of God...the meek who will inherit the earth, and of course blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Shrug...but Jesus was just talking mainly to his disciples.