• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the right religion

AmbiguousGuy

My lack of religion is the only correct way to understand god though, so I am afraid god will torture you for eternity for following a religion.

I shake my shiney hiney in the face of all Gods who are not objectively real... which is to say all Gods except my God.

It is good to be the only correct person on the planet. There is a certain comfort in following the right religion, you know.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe one does not need to know Jesus to know there is God although it helps. Multitheism is possible when gods exist which was not the case for aborigines in Australia as far as we know. I suppose it could be developed as an erroneous mind construct. ie. If God is possible then why not gods. It takes God tostrighten people out on that subject.

Interesting concept.
So God didn't show himself to the aboriginals, or at least, if he did he was not believed?
And their lack of belief damns them?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I shake my shiney hiney in the face of all Gods who are not objectively real... which is to say all Gods except my God.

It is good to be the only correct person on the planet. There is a certain comfort in following the right religion, you know.
Well apparently there is a lower point than the bottom, after all. What are you doing?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Interesting concept.
So God didn't show himself to the aboriginals, or at least, if he did he was not believed?
Would the lack of belief in polio vaccine not potentially have damned us to having it? Actually the Bible says that we are only responsible for that which was revealed. I have no idea how to expand on that but William Craig's book on the "unevangelised" is about as credentialed as possible. If you are actually interested in the Bible your would at least look into it. If you use things you do not understand as a shield against faith, you will not.

AmbiguousGuy

Well apparently there is a lower point than the bottom, after all. What are you doing?

I don't understand the question. I already told you what I'm doing. I'm shaking my shiney hiney in the face of all false gods. That's how sure I am that my own God is the actual One True God.

You're welcome to hop onboard my GodTrain, but only if you really wanna.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
There is, it is called reason. Religions cannot be objectively right or wrong if they emanate from a specific set of circumstance which Christianity like all others did.
You are digging the hole even deeper. This is the most perfect archetype of a genetic fallacy I have ever seen. The origin of a belief has nothing to do with it's accuracy. If I read that that I had cancer on the back of a cereal box it would or would not be true independent of where I read it. As some of the greatest experts on testimony and evidence have said, Christianity sprung from exactly the place where you would have expected to find theological truth (that includes it's texts). I am not sure if a claim can be more wrong in every way than the one you made. It is text book wrong.

No one can say Hinduism is objectively right because Hinduism started in India and is not known to anyone. Politics, religion and social organizations are all alike and neither can be objectively right nor wrong.
No one has the capacity to know if it is right or wrong. I believe it is wrong but your the one who claims to know. BTW claims to knowledge have all the burdens. You claimed Christianity can't be true. Prove it. I do not think a statement can be any more arrogant than this one. I do not think Islam is true, I would never claim it couldn't be.

Psychotic people claim to know that a demonic bunny is chasing them. People can "know" anything they wish.
Amazing. You use a statement where people did not know something, to prove people can't know something, which was the opposite of your original claim that you do know something.

I can claim what I said above because you just said "every Christian". You are stating that Christianity's truth is subjective to the already indoctrinated believer.
I have no idea what that meant. Truth is not subjective to anything except truth. Murder doe snot become right or wrong because a Christian read it in the Bible. It was written in the Bible because it was true.

You seem to be contradicting yourself here. Christianity is only objectively true when confirmed by the Christian community. Christianity to many is objectively false and wrong amongst the other half of the opposing community.
It is really bad when you have to mangle another's words to make a point. I never said anything about anything being true based on who believes it. I said the following:

1. You have no way to know what you claimed even if it was true. It is not necessarily wrong, you can't possibly know it is true.
2. I said Christianity can be perfectly objectively true. I did not say it is known (in general to be).
3. I never said or thought that Christianity's truth has any dependence on a Christians faith. It is not true because anyone believes it. It can be true even if no one believes.

I do not believe you even understand what it is your saying. I will give it one more shot, it is your burden. Prove Christianity can't possibly be objectively true.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
My lack of religion is the only correct way to understand god though, so I am afraid god will torture you for eternity for following a religion.
That is not even a coherent statement. I remember you now. I have never agreed with you but I think I remember you being far more logical. What happened? You changed your avatar and apparently lost touch with reason. You can't possibly know your premise even if your conclusion was true. What is the point of that?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I don't understand the question. I already told you what I'm doing. I'm shaking my shiney hiney in the face of all false gods. That's how sure I am that my own God is the actual One True God.

You're welcome to hop onboard my GodTrain, but only if you really wanna.
You and Sterling should debate each other until you create some kind of worm hole of futility or something. I do not have time for this stuff. I have heard matter requires anti-matter. Apparently rational and productive debate requires ambiguous guy by which to distinguish it. Carry on without me.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
At the beginning of the BB, there was both matter and anti-matter, and since one cancels out the other, obviously there could not have been equal amounts of each. Therefore, it appears that matter had a slight (very slightly according to mathematical models) edge, and the quantum physicists say that had there been much more of a difference in percentage, our universe would either not exist or would not exist as we know it.

Knight of Albion

The right religion?

If your faith makes you a better, kinder person; if it leads you into Service; if it inspires you to work for the greater good, then it's the right religion - for you...

Muffled

Jesus in me
What's "100% Christian", especially since there's roughly 300 major denominations and thousands of independent congregations almost all saying they're the "true church"?

I believe a 100% Christian is one who has received Jesus as Lord and Savior.

After a person has done that there may be a myriad of different beliefs but those beliefs don't change what a person is.

When a person bases his Christianity on something else such as how many Christian beliefs he holds then I believe he isn't a Christian in any way other than in name only.

Muffled

Jesus in me
They are pretty much synonymous. Try getting eternal life outside of heaven. My point was a metaphysical philosophy is of no practical use. Only a religion that produces a desired effect is relevant. That was a difference without distinction (don't get to say that often enough).

I don't believe so although I do agree that Heaven provides eternal life.

I already have eternal life because I have Jesus as Lord and Savior.

I believe eternal life is a spiritual condition jsut as I believe the second death is also a spiritual condition. I believe that having eternal life means that I will have it no matter where I go or in what state I am in (physical or separated from the body).

Muffled

Jesus in me
Interesting concept.

I have no data on that.

The stars in the heavens would indicate to them that there is a god and my undestanding is that the aborigines have some kind of religion from their past. However it is possible that some couldn't make the connection between the heavens and a god.

I believe the Gospel of Jesus is preached to everyone so the responsibility to believe falls upon them no matter what past beliefs they held. I believe that a lack of belief in Jesus will damn them if they still hold to it at the last judement.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I believe a 100% Christian is one who has received Jesus as Lord and Savior.

After a person has done that there may be a myriad of different beliefs but those beliefs don't change what a person is.

When a person bases his Christianity on something else such as how many Christian beliefs he holds then I believe he isn't a Christian in any way other than in name only.

Let me test this out: if a person who identifies themselves as a Christian says that they don't believe that Jesus was a literal "only son of God", are they still a Christian in your book? Or what if they say "I really don't believe that Jesus literally 'died for our sins' because I believe it's just symbolic", are they still a Christian in your book? Or what if they say they are Christian but treat people like dung, are they still a Christian in your book?

Seems to me that "the devil's in the details".

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Let me test this out: if a person who identifies themselves as a Christian says that they don't believe that Jesus was a literal "only son of God", are they still a Christian in your book? Or what if they say "I really don't believe that Jesus literally 'died for our sins' because I believe it's just symbolic", are they still a Christian in your book? Or what if they say they are Christian but treat people like dung, are they still a Christian in your book?

Seems to me that "the devil's in the details".

And for 30 years I was convinced that I was a Christian. I believe it all to be true. I believed Jesus existed and was the son of God. I believe all the things a Christian should believe. Now I don't. Was I believing wrong? Some Christians actually claim that I was deceived by the devil to believe wrong. How is that possible? God allowing me to be wrong about my beliefs about Jesus and the Christian tenets for 30 years? That would put a lot of blame on God and not me. I wanted it and tried with all my strength and heart to follow the right faith, but God let Satan deceive me? What a horrible thought.

I also learned recently that some Christians suggests that speaking in tongues is from the devil. I can speak in tongues, unrecognizable and a language not of this world, but that somehow isn't a sign of God now but rather a sign of demon possession?

Last edited:

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I prayed to God for years to give me more faith and strengthen me. My doubt grew more and more and I didn't hear from God or feel any strengthening. Maybe I had too high expectations from God? God isn't the source of love, hope, and faith?