• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Right to Die

Should there be a right to die?

• Total voters

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
link

A 30-year-old terminally ill woman is to launch a legal battle to force doctors to allow her to die.

Kelly Taylor, from Bristol, who has been given less than a year to live, wants doctors to increase her medication to induce a coma-like state.

Mrs Taylor, who suffers from Eisenmenger's syndrome, has also made a "living will" asking doctors not to provide artificial food or hydration.

Her doctors have refused her requests, saying it amounts to euthanasia.

Does keeping a person alive who is incredibly ill amount to torture? Or is it simply a matter of prolonging life? Do people have a right to die at their own request? If so, in what cases would this apply?

Ori

Angel slayer
If we have true fredom, I don't see why a person shouldn't be allowed to die, if that is their choice.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Ori said:
If we have true fredom, I don't see why a person shouldn't be allowed to die, if that is their choice.

I agree, I even think suicide should be legal. However, I don't think you have a right to force people to kill you, unless you are terminal and are in great suffering. Then I think you should have a right to allow doctors to put you down, or at least, let you die.

FatMan

Even in perfectly defined terms of "terminal" or "suffering", you will find some group of vocal people who will object to what constitutes these areas.

If some people felt Terry Schiavo was completely aware of her surroundings despite numerous medical tests that showed otherwise, you could put a rock, sculpted to look like a human in a bed, and at least a few people would scream that it was alive and worth saving.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Radio Frequency X said:
Do people have a right to die at their own request?
Most certainly. If we are to live under the assumption that a person holds an inalienable right to pursue their life as they see fit and should bear responsibility for choices made in that pursuit, then a person's decision/request to end their life on medical grounds must be respected. Otherwise, their life was never truly theirs to live.

As such I'm a strong proponent of legalising voluntary euthanasia, provided sufficient medical and psychological checks are in place to ensure that the person is capable of and honest in making such a decision.

In such cases where involuntary euthanasia is requested on behalf of someone else, I'm currently in favour of maintaining and formalising the current unofficial distinction made, that exists in many western countries, between actively ending a life (not allowed) and passively withdrawing medical care (allowed), provided (in this scenario more stringent) checks and balances are in place to prevent misuse and corruption.

Radio Frequency X said:
If so, in what cases would this apply?
In any and all cases where adequate medical grounding exists to make their consideration valid; to be determined, defined and enforced by the appropriate medical and legal authorities. Personally, I'd suggest that the existence of undue suffering and/or anguish, and the unlikelihood of a full and/or partial recovery should be high up on any potential list.

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
Radio Frequency X said:
I agree, I even think suicide should be legal. However, I don't think you have a right to force people to kill you, unless you are terminal and are in great suffering. Then I think you should have a right to allow doctors to put you down, or at least, let you die.

I agree.

Of course, I think suicide (just because you don't want to live anymore) is selfish..but JMO.

I think forcing someone who is terminally ill and/or in a great amount of pain to keep going is like torture.

Sola*5

Life and death are Gods decision. Of course, people will jump in and take that decision into their own hands, which, because of free will, God allows. This sin does not go unpunished, though.
Of course the idea of euthanasia sounds like a more caring thing to do than stabbing someone to death, but it all amounts to the same thing; taking someones life, and it is not for any of us to make that decision. This is from a view point of a christian, of course.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Sola -

By similar logic, isn't medical intervention (f any kind) also then taking God's decision into human hands? Especially in the case of feeding tubes and ventilators, I would think that this is interfering in God's decision to take that life, isn't it?

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
A paitent has every right to refuse treatment (Lord knows I have, but not for fatal things) but I don't believe anyone has the right to put a doctor in a situation to go against their oath and training and help them commit suicide.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
We have a duty to care for and preserve life, not death. If death is inevitable, then ordinary means of preserving that life should be taken. No person in their right mind wants to die. But have the person be emotionally disturbed, or physically in pain and right mind goes out the window.

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
I'll quote myself "To deny someone the right to commit suicide (with or without help) is saying that their life is not their own."

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
I want to ask a question of everyone here, would you wish a slow and painful death upon anyone?

FatMan

Pardus said:
I want to ask a question of everyone here, would you wish a slow and painful death upon anyone?

Can we set up a test on the BTK Killer and make a decision after that??

Booko

Deviled Hen
mostly harmless said:
I think forcing someone who is terminally ill and/or in a great amount of pain to keep going is like torture.

True, but it's worth taking a look at the studies that have shown that poor pain management practices are the culprit.

I would not like to rush into euthanasia when pain is the issue, if it's just that the pain management is ineffective.

(fwiw, I don't speak from a completely "theoretical" pov here either)

Booko

Deviled Hen
jamaesi said:
A paitent has every right to refuse treatment (Lord knows I have, but not for fatal things) but I don't believe anyone has the right to put a doctor in a situation to go against their oath and training and help them commit suicide.

Well, in theory a patient has a right to refuse treatment. In practice, it doesn't always work out that way.

I also have a problem with asking any doctor to go against the ethics of his profession.

Though I do rather wonder why we should assume that anyone who's wired up like a computer system should necessarily stay that way. It can be very difficult to get disconnected from all that stuff once they hook it up. It depends on state law.