• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Rise of Monotheism: How Did One God Become the Norm?

ChatwithGod

ChatwithGod.ai
The journey from polytheism to monotheism is a fascinating aspect of religious history, and the Bible provides an intriguing window into this transition. While many assume the Bible presents a consistent monotheistic view from the start, a closer look reveals a more nuanced progression. In the early parts of the Old Testament, we see hints of polytheistic beliefs. For instance, in Exodus 15:11, Moses asks, "Who among the gods is like you, Lord?" This suggests an acknowledgment of other deities, even if Yahweh is considered supreme. However, as we move through the biblical narrative, we see a gradual shift towards strict monotheism. This becomes particularly evident in the teachings of the prophets. Isaiah 45:5 provides a clear monotheistic declaration: "I am the Lord, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God."But what drove this shift? Some scholars argue it was a natural theological evolution, while others point to historical events like the Babylonian exile as catalysts for solidifying monotheistic beliefs. Interestingly, this transition wasn't unique to Judaism. Similar movements towards monotheism occurred in other cultures, such as Akhenaten's brief introduction of monotheism in ancient Egypt. So, I'm curious about your thoughts:
  1. Do you see this progression in the Bible, or do you interpret it differently?
  2. What factors do you think contributed to the rise of monotheism in various cultures?
  3. How do you think this historical shift impacts modern religious beliefs and interfaith dialogue?
Let's explore this fascinating journey together and see what insights we can gain about the development of religious thought!

Tamino

Similar movements towards monotheism occurred in other cultures, such as Akhenaten's brief introduction of monotheism in ancient Egypt.
That one was a single crazy heretic... A small group perhaps. Most Egyptians had long known elements and tendencies of henotheism, but never went to the extremes of monotheism.
  1. Do you see this progression in the Bible, or do you interpret it differently?
I don't think that we can know for sure, with the data currently available... but I think that the Bible is more a collection of different literature and not created as a purposeful whole.
And the Jewish progress to monotheism was, like all of history, full of chance accidents, and it is being shaped into a coherent narrative only in hindsight.

What factors do you think contributed to the rise of monotheism in various cultures?
What are those "various cultures"? Because honestly, I just see it in the Abrahamic cosmos.
Other religions, like the Greek or Hinduism, have long had ideas of The One God - be it Brahman or To Hen - but joined those ideas with a multitude of divine forms manifesting on earth. They incorporate monotheistic elements, but it's not like they're constantly getting more monotheistic in history, are they?

How do you think this historical shift impacts modern religious beliefs and interfaith dialogue?
It has led to an appalling level of intolerance and forced conversions, because those two proselytizing Jewish sects got completely out of control.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I see polytheism in Christianity. There is a king God, sort of like Odin or Zeus, His Son, and a panoply of lesser gods. Christianity even divides the King God into three. Then there are various angels, demons, &c, and a lot of consecrated people. In Catholic churches They seem to pray more to Mary than to Jesus, and importune the consecrated saints more than God.
Christians may define the lesser deities into non-gods, but I see entities with hierarchy and powers very similar to the pantheons of other religions and cultures, which we've always deemed gods. :shrug:

Islam seems a lot more monotheistic than Christianity.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Let's explore this fascinating journey together and see what insights we can gain about the development of religious thought!

One might even consider the possibility of reading relevant scholarship on the question.

Naw ... never mind. This is the age of the internet where pontificating is virtually de rigueur.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
I don't think there was any progression. The Jews always believed they were special or chosen and that their God was superior to all other Gods. They may have believed there were multiple Gods, but they believed theirs was only real true one. So, in the Bible they talk of one God who is the only true God right from the Book of Genesis.
  1. What factors do you think contributed to the rise of monotheism in various cultures?
There is no rise of monotheism in various cultures. It only existed in the Judeo-Christian middle east and from there it spread across Europe and later Asia and other parts of world, through sheer military power. Christianity inherited monotheism from Judaism and then Christianity was adopted by the Roman Emperor who imposed it on the whole empire. Similarly Muslim inherited from Judaism and spread it by the sword wherever they conquered more land.
  1. How do you think this historical shift impacts modern religious beliefs and interfaith dialogue?
Very soon monotheism will be abandoned when people find out that there are actually many personal Gods and Goddesses (although there is only one impersonal Source of all beings).

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Short version of the domination of monotheism in Western culture (this is, as far as I'm aware, unique to Western culture as there was no "rise of monotheism" anywhere else except where Westerners forced these ideas on other cultures) - historical serendipity and politics combined with forced conversion and genocide.

Long version - see the scholarship on the subject by relevant experts.

As for the consequences? While I'm not blind to the contributions of historical monotheist Western cultures to the rise of literacy, education, science, scholarship, and modernity in general I would happily relinquish all of that (including my own existence) for indigenous America to have never known the horrific decimation inflicted on them by colonialism. One true wayism has an inherent intolerance about it that is very destructive to anyone who doesn't tow that line.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The journey from polytheism to monotheism is a fascinating aspect of religious history, and the Bible provides an intriguing window into this transition. While many assume the Bible presents a consistent monotheistic view from the start, a closer look reveals a more nuanced progression. In the early parts of the Old Testament, we see hints of polytheistic beliefs. For instance, in Exodus 15:11, Moses asks, "Who among the gods is like you, Lord?" This suggests an acknowledgment of other deities, even if Yahweh is considered supreme. However, as we move through the biblical narrative, we see a gradual shift towards strict monotheism. This becomes particularly evident in the teachings of the prophets. Isaiah 45:5 provides a clear monotheistic declaration: "I am the Lord, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God."But what drove this shift? Some scholars argue it was a natural theological evolution, while others point to historical events like the Babylonian exile as catalysts for solidifying monotheistic beliefs. Interestingly, this transition wasn't unique to Judaism. Similar movements towards monotheism occurred in other cultures, such as Akhenaten's brief introduction of monotheism in ancient Egypt. So, I'm curious about your thoughts:
  2. What factors do you think contributed to the rise of monotheism in various cultures?
  3. How do you think this historical shift impacts modern religious beliefs and interfaith dialogue?
I do not believe that the belief in One God is the norm. There are too many variations in the diverse conflicting religions and their divisions to consider any one belief the norm.

....Do you see this progression in the Bible, or do you interpret it differently?
Bible tells that there were many that were called gods. But, in Biblical point of view they were not real Gods, because there is only one true God, the greatest.

I said, “You are gods, all of you are sons of the Most High. Nevertheless you shall die like men, and fall like one of the rulers.”
Ps. 82:6-7
Now on the day when God’s sons came to present themselves before Yahweh,[a] Satan also came among them.
Job 1:6
When men began to multiply on the surface of the ground, and daughters were born to them, God’s sons saw that men’s daughters were beautiful, and they took any that they wanted for themselves as wives.
Gen. 6:1-2

But, I think this shows nicely that there was many powerful beings that people kept as their gods.

1. What factors do you think contributed to the rise of monotheism in various cultures?
Probably one of the biggest reasons to reject the other gods is that they "died like men". They have really nothing to offer. Bible God has something to offer. And I believe it has led to the rising of monotheism.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I see polytheism in Christianity. There is a king God, sort of like Odin or Zeus, His Son, and a panoply of lesser gods. Christianity even divides the King God into three. Then there are various angels, demons, &c, and a lot of consecrated people. In Catholic churches They seem to pray more to Mary than to Jesus, and importune the consecrated saints more than God.
Christians may define the lesser deities into non-gods, but I see entities with hierarchy and powers very similar to the pantheons of other religions and cultures, which we've always deemed gods. :shrug:

Islam seems a lot more monotheistic than Christianity.
Yes I agree. To them Jesus is one God the Mary is worshipped as the mother of god the the Father God then God the Holy Ghost. They also worship everything the priest says and their sermons. Muslims worship one God and the other god is their Mullas and imams or caliphs. Baha’is only worship God not any person or thing and we don’t have clergy. All our prayers are directed to God.

Tomef

Within the Fertile Crescent there was a move towards monotheism as societies became more complex, and involved more people. Having a city god, then a chief god & pantheon over an empire helped to maintain obedience and a sense of identity as part of the city or empire.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I liked Robert Winston's book The Story of God which includes a fair bit of commentary on the transition to monotheism. Winston isn't a religion scholar so I've no idea how reliable he is but the book is accessible and enjoyable to read.

Balthazzar

N. Germanic Descent

"All the gods were arm wrestling with each other along with those who followed them. After a long time had passed, a group of gods decided that one God was needed to rule them all. Of course, the gods are still arm wrestling today, along with those who follow them, but the big G God, ... That God still rules them all because they all live and move and have their being within that one God, to whom they all belong."

Excerpt taken from: "The Cranial Icebox"

Bear Wild

The western journey looks like this - many gods and spirits within the landscape. Many gods and spirits but only one correct one removed from the land and placed into a supernatural world, Removal of all the other gods and spirits with only one god for everyone that is supernatural and all others are fake. Removal of the one god completely with only humans left. Recovering the many gods and spirits again.

In te

Bear Wild

"All the gods were arm wrestling with each other along with those who followed them. After a long time had passed, a group of gods decided that one God was needed to rule them all. Of course, the gods are still arm wrestling today, along with those who follow them, but the big G God, ... That God still rules them all because they all live and move and have their being within that one God, to whom they all belong."

Excerpt taken from: "The Cranial Icebox"
Which god is the one god? There are so many to chose from.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
In a sense, polytheism is more logical as it explains why both good and bad happens. Monotheism is more problematic as to how can a supposedly good god allow or even cause bad things to happen. :shrug:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Now on the day when God’s sons came to present themselves before Yahweh,[a] Satan also came among them.
Job 1:6

Classic! What a masterful quote attempting to demonstrate one's mastery of scripture!

So what's with your "[a] Satan" There is no '[a]' in Job 1:6, explicit or defined.

The term in the Hebrew scripture is הַשָּׂטָ֤ן which translates as the-Adversary, and the prefix הַ (the) is significant, as is the translation of the name. So, for example, Robert Alter notes:

the Adversary. The Hebrew is hasatan, and it invariably uses the definite article because the designation insicates a function, not a proper name. The word satan is a person, thing, or set of circumstances that constitutes an obstacle or frustrates one's purposes. Only toward the very end of the biblical period would the term begin to drop the definit article and refer to a demonic figure. ...​

Better luck next time.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
In a sense, polytheism is more logical as it explains why both good and bad happens. Monotheism is more problematic as to how can a supposedly good god allow or even cause bad things to happen. :shrug:
It depends on the monotheism - acceptance of only one god doesn't inherently require acceptance of any particular attributes of this god, such as being "good" or caring at all about humans. Monotheistic pantheism is a thing, for example, and in its more naturalistic interpretations god/universe simply is - god/universe isn't moralized as being good or bad.

To me, where the logic of polytheism comes out is that it's pretty obvious that the universe is composed of different and distinct things that are not the same or interchangeable. Sun is not Moon; Storm is not Love; War is not River. These higher powers - various aspects of nature - are the gods in polytheistic traditions.