• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Rise of Monotheism: How Did One God Become the Norm?

Balthazzar

N. Germanic Descent
You must be referring to Niflheim and Muspelheim which created the gods and goddesses then. Interesting video.
Everything has a place in the universe. Thats why it's the all-encompassing "All" to which everything belongs, and from which everything is formed.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It depends on the monotheism - acceptance of only one god doesn't inherently require acceptance of any particular attributes of this god, such as being "good" or caring at all about humans. Monotheistic pantheism is a thing, for example, and in its more naturalistic interpretations god/universe simply is - god/universe isn't moralized as being good or bad.
Yes, that's true, but such beliefs developed late in the game, such as with Spinoza, who equated "God" and "Nature" [all] as being pretty much the same.

BTW, on a personal note, some here may remember my former Signature Statement: Whatever caused this universe/multiverse I'll call "God" and pretty much just leave it at that. That's still where I'm coming from.

Classic! What a masterful quote attempting to demonstrate one's mastery of scripture!

So what's with your "[a] Satan" There is no '[a]' in Job 1:6, explicit or defined.

The term in the Hebrew scripture is הַשָּׂטָ֤ן which translates as the-Adversary...
Ok, I can accept that it means an adversary. I think it later became the Adversary, because it is the specific Adversary.

In a sense, polytheism is more logical as it explains why both good and bad happens. Monotheism is more problematic as to how can a supposedly good god allow or even cause bad things to happen. :shrug:
In Biblical point of view bad things are allowed to happen, because people wanted to know good and evil like God knows. That is the reason why people were expelled to this first death, where we can experience those things safely, without anything of this world being able to destroy our soul, which is the important part. Body is only like a vessel four soul and can be replaced. That is why we should not fear anything of this world. And luckily this is only a short lesson.

Don't be afraid of those who kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul. Rather, fear him who is able to destroy both soul and body in Gehenna.
Matt. 10:28

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
In Biblical point of view bad things are allowed to happen, because people wanted to know good and evil like God knows.

How about miscarriages? still births? Why would God cause these to happen?

My position is that there's a lot more to this that we can't be sure of. Thus, to me it's best to "do no harm" as much a possible and try to help others have a more enjoyable life based on love and compassion for all.

How about miscarriages? still births? Why would God cause these to happen?
I don't think God necessary causes miscarriages or still births. All unfortunate things happen here, because this is a place where people can be in separation from God, so that we could know what evil means (lack of good).
Thus, to me it's best to "do no harm" as much a possible and try to help others have a more enjoyable life based on love and compassion for all.
I think that is not bad.