• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Singularity Is Near

Peacewise

Ray Kurzweil is obsessed with immortality, so is wildly optimistic about everything he projects. The fusing of people and computational technology may happen eventually, but it's not close by any means.

I'm inclined to agree, but I recognize when I'm out of my depth.

Expositus

If our brains were bigger, the cerebral cortex surface area larger, would not necessarily makes us smarter! In fact it could have the opposite effect since adding more horse power generates more heat disproportionately and latency issues since the transmission rates of neurons would take longer because they have longer distances to travel. So heads that are too big actually become less robust, ergo the extinction of Neanderthals who actually had a larger average brain size!

"Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany, found the first evidence of interbreeding. They reported last week that the genome of humans today is roughly 1 to 4% Neanderthal."

EDIT: The only escape from this genetic inheritance is by being African... which would appear to be the purest, most human race on the planet.

Last edited:

Beyondo

"Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany, found the first evidence of interbreeding. They reported last week that the genome of humans today is roughly 1 to 4% Neanderthal."

EDIT: The only escape from this genetic inheritance is by being African... which would appear to be the purest, most human race on the planet.

What would be interesting to know if the breeding happen primarily through males or females. I'm figuring mostly through males, since the females where probably a little rough looking. I mean humans look the way we look because we've got a demand for beauty for the females. ;)

Beyondo

But even with inner breeding Neanderthal isn't a major genetic influence so in effect is still extinct by a lack of competitiveness. After all if they where the conquerors humanity would be 99 to 96% Neanderthal...

nomadchild

Gone Sailing
I am not sure that complexity is what leads to sentience, but I am far from an expert on this subject. I have to admit it would be interesting at the very least to see a sentient robot. I wonder if that would lead to the re-emergence of slavery?

Peacewise

As long as the robot is considered non living machinery they will not be slaves, instead merely tools. If a robot (or model of robots) ever achieves sentience then eventually the claim of slavery will occur and that will be a most interesting day.

here is a youtube that freaked me out.

[youtube]W1czBcnX1Ww[/youtube]
YouTube - Boston Dynamics Big Dog (new video March 2008)

That seems to me about where the forefront of the physical aspect of robotics currently is.

Beyondo

As long as the robot is considered non living machinery they will not be slaves, instead merely tools. If a robot (or model of robots) ever achieves sentience then eventually the claim of slavery will occur and that will be a most interesting day.

here is a youtube that freaked me out.

[youtube]W1czBcnX1Ww[/youtube]
YouTube - Boston Dynamics Big Dog (new video March 2008)

That seems to me about where the forefront of the physical aspect of robotics currently is.

Wow! The robot's ability to recover was awsome! I can just see future four legged soldiers being air droped over enemy lines. The critters have gun turetts and charge the enemy running like dog packs.

Unleash the hounds of war...

Peacewise

I wonder Beyondo, can you describe in detail what feeling you experienced when watching that tube please.

Beyondo

I am not sure that complexity is what leads to sentience, but I am far from an expert on this subject. I have to admit it would be interesting at the very least to see a sentient robot. I wonder if that would lead to the re-emergence of slavery?

I don't see sentience being a product of robotics. AI will utilize processes that machines excel at, with that said social AIs will mimic human facial and vocal gestures but having a desire or will isn't a feature that one would want in a machine. So commercially I don't see sentience happening, but as a proof of concept or research project to see if it can be done? Sure someone one day will make an sentient AI.

Beyondo

I wonder Beyondo, can you describe in detail what feeling you experienced when watching that tube please.

Excitement, a thrill that machine intelligence can do what biological systems have been doing for millions of years. I also felt admiration for the developers of the robot and inspiration noticing nuances of the design.

Peacewise

Thanks Beyondo.
I felt amazement and awe, and a touch weirded out, a bit of hope for the future and a temptation to go and buy some shares of that company...lol.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
There are programs up and running that have the ability...to learn.

It's not intelligence as we see it...when we look in the mirror.
But it can retain info to a greater degree, then use that info to a greater degree, and the info doubles every few years.

Man has a nasty habit of turning his work effort to any source that 'can'.

I think Taipan has described a situation pending.

Whether the computer is sentient or not doesn't matter.
If it thinks faster, and controls what we do...

logician

Sentience is merely a feedback mechamism where you are aware of your own existence. I believe such complexity is attainble in robots assuming homo sapiens doesn't kill itself off sooner rather than later before reaching this level of technology.

TechTed

The creation of free-thinking, sentient machines might settle a few questions related to religion...

1. Would these AI's develop their own set of "religious beliefs" different from our own? If so, would that prove that religion is a by-product of intelligent thinking?

2. Would these AI's reject all religious beliefs? If so, would that prove that religion is a by-product of a less evolved human intelligence?

3. Would these AI's confirm the existence of God / Buddah / Mohammed / etc etc? If so, would that cause the scientists to immediately turn these machines off? :)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The creation of free-thinking, sentient machines might settle a few questions related to religion...

Would these machines have belief in dying?
Religion is a means to cope with mortality.

1. Would these AI's develop their own set of "religious beliefs" different from our own? If so, would that prove that religion is a by-product of intelligent thinking?

Some religions are wrapped around a prophets vision.
Would the AI have such vision?

2. Would these AI's reject all religious beliefs? If so, would that prove that religion is a by-product of a less evolved human intelligence?

If the device can sense it's own terminal existence, it will probably develop an means of preservation.
Physical reproduction...first....then evolution?

3. Would these AI's confirm the existence of God / Buddah / Mohammed / etc etc? If so, would that cause the scientists to immediately turn these machines off? :)

An atheistic scientist probably would.
A scientist that leans toward a spiritual life might call the press.

logician

My belief is that if earth is ever invaded by aliens, it will be alien robots, not organic creatures, for a number of reasons - much less risk for the original organic intelligent species, more capability by the robots to conduct warfare, etc.