• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The so-called global flood--evidence against

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I realize that this topic has been addressed here and there in many threads. I'd like to collect all the points into one clearly labeled thread. Let's list all the arguments and evidence against the flood. They can include, for example, geological evidence, or internal problems with the Genesis account.

I'll start.

If there had been a global flood, there would be a single layer of silt extending all around the world. No such layer of silt exists.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
I realize that this topic has been addressed here and there in many threads. I'd like to collect all the points into one clearly labeled thread. Let's list all the arguments and evidence against the flood. They can include, for example, geological evidence, or internal problems with the Genesis account.

I'll start.

If there had been a global flood, there would be a single layer of silt extending all around the world. No such layer of silt exists.
Here's a list of 12 videos on 10 ways to disprove the flood myth:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
At this point I usually mention the missing billion cubic miles of extra water, which the video above deals with,

and the absence of a geological flood layer all over all continents and islands and the ocean floor and dated in the last 5000 years or so

and the absence of a genetic bottleneck in every species of land animal, all the bottlenecks dating to the same date as the geological flood layer (caused by the fact that all species of land animals must, according to the bible story, be descended from only one, or two, or seven breeding pairs on the ark).

Why do you think global flood would case single layer of silt? Single layer can be formed only, if the material comes from the same source. In global flood, material could come from different sources, and therefore cause different layers.

King Phenomenon

This was not helpful. Did you have specific line of evidence documenting that there was no global flood?
You said list all arguments and evidence. This is my argument. As far as evidence for my argument, there is none. Just a hunch. There’s a lot of things in the Bible that are far fetched that I don’t need evidence for such as men walking on water, demons in hell or the flooding of earth. To me, these stories are clearly metaphorical in nature and exist to teach us something.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I'll start.

Well that and the atmosphere and pressure would be notably different had this been a water world.

ppp

I'll start.

If there had been a global flood then everything on the ark would have died from radiation poisoning. And also burnt to a crisp.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
If there had been a global flood then everything on the ark would have died from radiation poisoning. And also burnt to a crisp.
Well that just does not make any sense.
I mean, God went to all that trouble to get Noah to spend all that time to build the Ark, gather the requested animals, load the requested animals onto the Ark just to let them burn up and get radiation stuffs?

Of course not.
Therefore, God obviously protected them from the burns and radiation stuffs.

ppp

I mean, God went to all that trouble to get Noah to spend all that time to build the Ark, gather the requested animals, load the requested animals onto the Ark just to let them burn up and get radiation stuffs?

Of course not.
Well, sure, if you go for the magic/miracle explanation. But that is just silly. ;-)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Why do you think global flood would case single layer of silt? Single layer can be formed only, if the material comes from the same source. In global flood, material could come from different sources, and therefore cause different layers.
You are right. It would be a single thin layer of poorly sorted sediments that varied. Not a single layer of silt. And there would be no sorting to the fossils either. We would see bunnies and trilobites together.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Of course not.
That's the thing, you need lots of miracles to explain the flood, but we are talking about scientific explanations.

You are right. It would be a single thin layer of poorly sorted sediments that varied. Not a single layer of silt. And there would be no sorting to the fossils either. We would see bunnies and trilobites together.
Why, if not a single layer of silt, why would there be any fossils?

I don't think we would have any fossils, if the sediments would from as slowly as you seem to suggest. Most likely only realistic way to cause fossils is sudden vast event that buries lot of stuff.

Here is image series that show how the flood came. It started when the original single continent was broken (image 4). In below the first continent there was vast amount of water. When it begun to escape, like in big geyser, the water started to flush all kind of sediments from where the water came. And obviously it would have taken first those animals that are closest and easiest to catch, likely the animals that are not as advanced as some. Mammals are more agile than many other animals, which is why they could have escaped longer. Mammals often can also swim, which is why they don't easily get caught into sediments. That is why no intelligent reason to assume one should find all in the same layer.

History-of-earth.jpg

And as it is said in the Bible, there were many fountains of great deep. That means, the water came from multiple sources. And there was also heavy rain. If earth was not uniform in the beginning, water from different areas, would have caused different sediments, by what the water could caught on its way.