• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "something can't come from nothing" argument

1robin

Christian/Baptist
We didn't know about it but QM is natural. So what we are finding is that time and space can be circumvented naturally without having to call it supernatural. Supernatural is just a placeholder for the unknown. And on top of that the supernatural we see, like on the paranormal movies, doesn't happen, or the ghosts are just too clever to get caught on cameras and smartphones. Regardless anything that exists in a way we can detect must be interacting in a natural realm.
I did not say that QM was supernatural. However QM did not produce empty tombs (which is one of the most attested facts in the bible), water into wine, or hundreds of millions who claim to have been born again or have medical miracles.

Gordian Knot

Being Deviant IS My Art.
Millions of people believe aliens from other planets have visited earth too. The truth of belief is not a function of how many people believe it.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Millions of people believe aliens from other planets have visited earth too. The truth of belief is not a function of how many people believe it.
That is not what I said. I don't care how many people have intellectually consented to a proposition they have no idea if it is true or not. I spoke about personal experience. I do not care about how many people in the 1600's believed the grand canyon existed. I care about the millions that have today been there and experienced it. There is a huge difference and one that separates Christianity from all other faiths. BTW the scientific community by and large has adopted dark matter yet it can't be detected by any means what so ever. Why the double standard?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I did not say that QM was supernatural. However QM did not produce empty tombs (which is one of the most attested facts in the bible),
So, not very well attested, then?

water into wine, or hundreds of millions who claim to have been born again or have medical miracles.
Not a single one of which has ever been demonstrated to be any kind of miraculous event. It's irrelevant. For every person you can claim as having direct experience of your God, there is another who will claim to have had a direct experience with some other religion's conception of God. If we rely on experience, we must believe that all of these different and often contradictory notions of a supreme being exist side-by-side.

BTW the scientific community by and large has adopted dark matter yet it can't be detected by any means what so ever. Why the double standard?
Dark matter is hypothesized to exist in order to account for the properties of matter and careful observation of how particles react in deep space. There's no double standard whatsoever. There's a difference between hypothesizing the existence of an as yet unobserved form of matter, and asserting the existence of a magical, supernatural entity.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I have seen this argument branded about to somewhat discredit evolution (I am lost as to why persons think this have anything to do with evolution, but that's another story). But I would put it to "creationists" that it is you who are advocating that something indeed came out of nothing. Let's forget the "who created God" question for a while; you (usually) advocate that God created everything..ok.

So here is my question: What did God uses to create the VERY FIRST thing that he created? Wouldn't that FIRST thing had to be created from ....nothing?? For example, if he created dirt first, what did he create that dirt from (since dirt would be the first thing created, there wouldn't be any other "something" around; would there)?

See, your argument that God created everything cannot, in my opinion, work unless you are advocating the "something actually came from nothing."

Yeah, it's not a bad argument.
Can you refute it?
Good luck trying.

Gordian Knot

Being Deviant IS My Art.
When one does not have an answer, simply ignore the question and throw the evidence for an answer at the other person? Disciple, that is not a really good way to prove you have any validity behind your claims. It strengthens the perception that you have no answer.

It is a fair question. And I will go one further then Big TJ did. If nothing can arise from nothing. What did God arise from? The only answer I have ever heard is that God didn't have to come from nothing. God has always existed. If God always existed, why cannot the universe have always existed. Claiming one and disparaging the other is no more than playing favorites with ones belief structure.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
When one does not have an answer, simply ignore the question and throw the evidence for an answer at the other person? Disciple, that is not a really good way to prove you have any validity behind your claims. It strengthens the perception that you have no answer.

It is a fair question. And I will go one further then Big TJ did. If nothing can arise from nothing. What did God arise from? The only answer I have ever heard is that God didn't have to come from nothing. God has always existed. If God always existed, why cannot the universe have always existed. Claiming one and disparaging the other is no more than playing favorites with ones belief structure.

Well, I think the answer is that G-d is uncreated. Self creation.
About the universe, I've read some different opinions, that may not
be relevant to discussion, I am not familiar with some of the 'standard'
arguments relating to that, I don't know what the OP is arguing against, basically.

Gordian Knot

Being Deviant IS My Art.
Robin said "I spoke about personal experience. I do not care about how many people in the 1600's believed the grand canyon existed. I care about the millions that have today been there and experienced it."

Except Robin, millions of people claimed to have experienced UFO phenomena. Just as many people that live today have been there and seen it, or were involved with such an experience.

There is no difference between the beliefs of people who have had incidents with UFOs and people who have had deep religious experiences. If you think there is a difference, I would be interested in hearing your explanation for that difference.

Robin said "There is a huge difference and one that separates Christianity from all other faiths."

So everyone else in the world who have had non-Christian religious experiences just as deeply and profoundly as Christians have are, what? Just imagining it? Again can you give any evidence of any kind that there is something about Christianity that elevates it above all other faiths? Cause it seems like that is just your personal opinion.

Robin said" BTW the scientific community by and large has adopted dark matter yet it can't be detected by any means what so ever. Why the double standard?"

ImmortalFlame has already given one answer. Here is another. Your double standard does not exist except within your own head. Dark matter is a scientific theory. No one knows if it is real or not. Not yet. But in science we test a theory, and then test it again and again and again. And we find out either that the theory has validity, or it is bogus.

There is no way to test the concept of a Supreme Being. There is nowhere we can look, nothing we can examine, no test we can imagine that could prove or deny this claim. Science can neither prove nor disprove the existence of God(s). Please note I did not say science cannot prove God. Science cannot prove nor disprove the existence of God.

Sabour

I have seen this argument branded about to somewhat discredit evolution (I am lost as to why persons think this have anything to do with evolution, but that's another story). But I would put it to "creationists" that it is you who are advocating that something indeed came out of nothing. Let's forget the "who created God" question for a while; you (usually) advocate that God created everything..ok.

So here is my question: What did God uses to create the VERY FIRST thing that he created? Wouldn't that FIRST thing had to be created from ....nothing?? For example, if he created dirt first, what did he create that dirt from (since dirt would be the first thing created, there wouldn't be any other "something" around; would there)?

See, your argument that God created everything cannot, in my opinion, work unless you are advocating the "something actually came from nothing."

I think thinking that way traps you in a loop.

The answer is there in your post but I dont know why you are not seeing it.

What did God uses to create the VERY FIRST thing that he created? Wouldn't that FIRST thing had to be created from ....nothing??

This is the answer, but of course you putted in a confusing manner and in a form of a question. God created the very first thing. God doesn't need "something" to create another "thing". Now let us assume there is no god.

Please now do tell me how you are not advocating that something came out of nothing.

Sorry I came to the party WAYYY LATEE

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
That is not what I said. I don't care how many people have intellectually consented to a proposition they have no idea if it is true or not. I spoke about personal experience.

UFO abductees clam personal experiences too. So?

I do not care about how many people in the 1600's believed the grand canyon existed. I care about the millions that have today been there and experienced it.

There were no UFO abductees before we knew about the possibility of UFOs. Similarly, Christian experiences happen mostly to people who already know about Jesus. The same with Allah experiences, etc.

There is a huge difference and one that separates Christianity from all other faiths.

Scientology and the flying spaghetti monster are also vastly different from all other belief systems. Being different does not add an iota to the veracity of a claim. It actually takes a lot of iotas out, if not accompanied by proportional evidence.

BTW the scientific community by and large has adopted dark matter yet it can't be detected by any means what so ever. Why the double standard?

I actually agree with you on this one. With the exception that it cannot be detected in principle. It can, and if nothing is found when the technology is available, then it must fall. Supersymmetry is experiencing the same problem today: we should have seen it by now, but we haven't, so we start strongly doubting its existence.

Ciao

- viole

1robin

Christian/Baptist
So, not very well attested, then?
What is not attested? I did not make any claim that required attestation about QM.

Not a single one of which has ever been demonstrated to be any kind of miraculous event. It's irrelevant. For every person you can claim as having direct experience of your God, there is another who will claim to have had a direct experience with some other religion's conception of God. If we rely on experience, we must believe that all of these different and often contradictory notions of a supreme being exist side-by-side.
No there is not anything even remotely comparable concerning numbers that you suggest. There are not even many similarities in doctrines about the availability of the potential for experiencing other God's. For example neither Judaism, Hinduism, Islam, or Buddhism contain any doctrinal promises about all of it's adherents experiencing God. So not only is there not anything even remotely comparable to the numbers who attest to divine experience in Christianity and any other faith, but not even any doctrinal reasons to think there should be.

Dark matter is hypothesized to exist in order to account for the properties of matter and careful observation of how particles react in deep space. There's no double standard whatsoever. There's a difference between hypothesizing the existence of an as yet unobserved form of matter, and asserting the existence of a magical, supernatural entity.
I believe that dark matter exists and on the same basis by which I believe miracles occur or objective morality exists. I find evidence for them. I am consistent, my comments were intended to show that your side is not. You throw identical methodologies into two categories. Anything (regardless of how untestable) that is termed natural is valid and anything (no matter how much evidence) that is termed supernatural is rejected. I have the same standards by which both dark matter and miracles are valid, you do not and so must reject one and accept the other without justification.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
What is not attested? I did not make any claim that required attestation about QM.
You said that "an empty tomb" was "one of the most attested facts in the Bible". I was responding to that.

No there is not anything even remotely comparable concerning numbers that you suggest. There are not even many similarities in doctrines about the availability of the potential for experiencing other God's. For example neither Judaism, Hinduism, Islam, or Buddhism contain any doctrinal promises about all of it's adherents experiencing God. So not only is there not anything even remotely comparable to the numbers who attest to divine experience in Christianity and any other faith, but not even any doctrinal reasons to think there should be.
You've not even approached a refutation of my argument. My point had absolutely nothing to do with doctrine or numbers. It's to do with the notion of using claims of experience as evidence of miraculous events, and how the impossibility of divining the accuracy of those events means that using them as evidence puts us into a position where we must accept contradictory experiences as being as valid as each other.

I believe that dark matter exists and on the same basis by which I believe miracles occur or objective morality exists. I find evidence for them.
But that evidence is not scientific - it is personal, based on emotion, faith, doctrine and unverifiable experience. That's the difference. The existence of dark matter is inferred directly and consistently through scientific observation. Your faith in compounded not by a scientific observation of the world around you, but by you starting with that prejudice and building the world you see in your head around it.

I am consistent, my comments were intended to show that your side is not. You throw identical methodologies into two categories. Anything (regardless of how untestable) that is termed natural is valid and anything (no matter how much evidence) that is termed supernatural is rejected.
That's total nonsense and an obvious strawman. Not all natural explanations are equal. Such a position is absurd and not at all scientific.

I have the same standards by which both dark matter and miracles are valid, you do not and so must reject one and accept the other without justification.
The existence of dark matter is directly inferred by observations based on reality. Miracles are not - they are personal accounts of unverifiable events. This is not inconsistency. Do you accept every miraculous claim made? Even ones attributed to Allah, or Buddha, or reincarnation? If not, then you are not consistent. In fact, I believe you are less consistent than we are, because we only ever believe things based on evidence and good reason. You're willing to believe anything, regardless of how absurd and poorly evidenced, as long as it fits your presupposition of belief in your specific version of God, and deny anything - regardless of how well supported it is - that even remotely contradicts it. Your desperate attempts to refute evolution, and the lies you use to do so, are proof of that.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Robin said "I spoke about personal experience. I do not care about how many people in the 1600's believed the grand canyon existed. I care about the millions that have today been there and experienced it."
Do you need help quoting posts? I almost did not see this one was directed towards me.

Except Robin, millions of people claimed to have experienced UFO phenomena. Just as many people that live today have been there and seen it, or were involved with such an experience.
There is not anything comparable about numbers between those that claim that experience with UFO's and those that claim miraculous experience. There is at least two or three orders of magnitude and probably far more disparity between them. However just to make the argument more easily seen, let's pretend there is anything like a similarity in numbers. There is still a huge difference in quality. If I claim my bottle of water instantly changed to wine, unless you call me a liar there exists no natural explanation for my claim. A person who claims to have seen a light in the sky (and I do not call them liars) has about a thousands natural explanations that can explain the event. I only gave single example but almost every single type of claim has this disparity in quality even if it had (and it does not) had any similarity in numbers. The only group of those that make claims of similar quality are those that claim to have been abducted or to have interacted directly with alien life. There are so few people in tis group that the normal disparity in numbers becomes and embarrassing gulf. So not on any level, even remotely, are the two groups even comparable.

There is no difference between the beliefs of people who have had incidents with UFOs and people who have had deep religious experiences. If you think there is a difference, I would be interested in hearing your explanation for that difference.
I think I explained that above. Let me ask you this do you grant the people who believe in UFO's enough credibility to concede they very well might exist?

Robin said "There is a huge difference and one that separates Christianity from all other faiths."

So everyone else in the world who have had non-Christian religious experiences just as deeply and profoundly as Christians have are, what? Just imagining it? Again can you give any evidence of any kind that there is something about Christianity that elevates it above all other faiths? Cause it seems like that is just your personal opinion.
Please keep my comments in the contexts given and do not apply them to contexts and conclusions not given or made. It is certainly possible that all Christians are liars and Muslims actually hold the truth. However that is not the way these issues are resolved. They are resolved by adding up the evidence (both amount and quality) and making the best conclusions. In this case I have shown that evidence that lies within the realm of personal experience is overwhelmingly on the Christian's side. That was all my comment meant. I did not put it to the uses you did and it does not belong there.

Robin said" BTW the scientific community by and large has adopted dark matter yet it can't be detected by any means what so ever. Why the double standard?"

ImmortalFlame has already given one answer. Here is another. Your double standard does not exist except within your own head. Dark matter is a scientific theory. No one knows if it is real or not. Not yet. But in science we test a theory, and then test it again and again and again. And we find out either that the theory has validity, or it is bogus.
Then please my response the their comments because nothing was resolved or explained by them. Of course it is a theory, so is evolution or even gravity. That is not a relevant fact. Not all of science or faith can be tested. The difference is faith does not claim to be fact and science routinely speaks of faith (in their pet theory) as a fact.

There is no way to test the concept of a Supreme Being. There is nowhere we can look, nothing we can examine, no test we can imagine that could prove or deny this claim. Science can neither prove nor disprove the existence of God(s). Please note I did not say science cannot prove God. Science cannot prove nor disprove the existence of God.
There exists no test for certainty for any fact ever believed to be true in any category. Other possibilities exist and can never be ruled out for all claims to certainty. This exists in every aspect of science and faith. There exists reasons and evidence for a supreme being and gravity, yet neither of these have an objectively available certainty. This is the absolute truth and exactly what I believe, me and reality have no conflict. However your general position is inconsistent. For some reasons you deny reliability to anything that comes under the heading of theology (even if evidence and very good reasons exist to believe it), and you propositions as valid if they come under the heading of the natural ( even though they may contain as much or more faith and less evidence that there exists for a supreme being).

I am consistent my faith nor science contains available certainty. I believe in certain aspects of each based on the evidence available, reasons, and experience. I treat them with the same standards. My position is that neither you nor most who hold the positions you do can honestly claim this.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
You said that "an empty tomb" was "one of the most attested facts in the Bible". I was responding to that.
Oh. Then let me respond to that then.

Among those most in a position to know (NT scholars and historians) regardless of their position about faith count the empty tomb among the most attested facts of the period of any kind. It certainly is a more testable and available claim than anything concerning multiverses or dark energy. My only point is that most on either side apply inconsistent standards to these claims.

You've not even approached a refutation of my argument. My point had absolutely nothing to do with doctrine or numbers. It's to do with the notion of using claims of experience as evidence of miraculous events, and how the impossibility of divining the accuracy of those events means that using them as evidence puts us into a position where we must accept contradictory experiences as being as valid as each other.
So your rejecting claims regarding experience as valid I guess. If that is the case then virtually everything you know is invalid. The fact that life and death matters are settled based primarily on claims about experience and have been for most of man's history is argument enough that your position is flawed but many additional arguments exist to confirm that. No discipline officially denies claims to experience and almost all rely on them exhaustively. Any formal debate about virtually any issue is proof of this.

But that evidence is not scientific - it is personal, based on emotion, faith, doctrine and unverifiable experience. That's the difference. The existence of dark matter is inferred directly and consistently through scientific observation. Your faith in compounded not by a scientific observation of the world around you, but by you starting with that prejudice and building the world you see in your head around it.
Neither is much of science. I am not qualified to explain it, but many of histories greatest scholars point it out as a known fact that neither science nor math is explainable or proven by science or math. I can easily have more and better experiential evidence for salvation than quantum theory. I have experienced the former and only have the word of a few that the latter even exists. I did not settle on what I believe to be true by preference, most of what I believe I would prefer to be different. The majority of scientific opinion at least for most of us is simply the acceptance of the word of others based on faith. Even experts in one field have carried out few personal proofs of claims of another field. Today this is true even among most interdisciplinary claims. However the nature of the miraculous makes personal experience of it's truth available to potentially anyone. It requires no expertise, no years of training, and no faith in theory. I know I was born again with far more certainty than I know 99% of what I was taught in college is true. I did not attempt to supply a refutation. I attempted to supply the reasons that you made no claim that required refutation. I do not have to defend anything that was ineffectually attacked or vise-versa.

That's total nonsense and an obvious strawman. Not all natural explanations are equal. Such a position is absurd and not at all scientific.
You have twice in one post given proof of what you claimed is a straw man. You have twice insinuated that what is scientific is true. It is not. Science is not a synonym for truth nor is it even relevant for most of what we each believe is true.

The existence of dark matter is directly inferred by observations based on reality. Miracles are not - they are personal accounts of unverifiable events. This is not inconsistency. Do you accept every miraculous claim made? Even ones attributed to Allah, or Buddha, or reincarnation? If not, then you are not consistent. In fact, I believe you are less consistent than we are, because we only ever believe things based on evidence and good reason. You're willing to believe anything, regardless of how absurd and poorly evidenced, as long as it fits your presupposition of belief in your specific version of God, and deny anything - regardless of how well supported it is - that even remotely contradicts it. Your desperate attempts to refute evolution, and the lies you use to do so, are proof of that.
So is my faith. In fact Jesus himself and the apostles said that nature alone is enough to justify faith. There is more than enough evidence in a single blade of grass to consider the supernatural valid.

Did you verify Hawking's claims? Do you have the education to demonstrate the validity of most of Newton's ideas. No, you like everyone accepts it on authority and a faith in competence. The exact same way I evaluate claims to the miraculous. Does the source have availability to the events? Are they competent (mentally, etc..)? Are they credible? Do their claims line up with my personal experience? Etc.... Also all supernatural claims are not equal. I must employ as much or more methodology in evaluating them as to evaluating anything in science. Me or you either one are likely to in our lifetimes ever know personally the factual nature of a single claim about the quantum. We simply do not have access to the evidence nor the competence to evaluate it effectively if we did. Virtually everything you say in these posts is evidence of my primary claim. That you do not evaluate claims by consistent methods (even if you think that you do).

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
So your rejecting claims regarding experience as valid I guess.
No, just certain experiences as evidence of claims which require vastly greater quantities of evidence to ascertain.

If that is the case then virtually everything you know is invalid. The fact that life and death matters are settled based primarily on claims about experience and have been for most of man's history is argument enough that your position is flawed but many additional arguments exist to confirm that. No discipline officially denies claims to experience and almost all rely on them exhaustively. Any formal debate about virtually any issue is proof of this.
So, nothing is demonstrable, testable or based on reasonable conclusions drawn from facts? That seems odd of you to say since you were just a moment ago talking about "attested facts" in the Bible.

Neither is much of science. I am not qualified to explain it, but many of histories greatest scholars point it out as a known fact that neither science nor math is explainable or proven by science or math.
Which is as silly and pointless as saying out that you cannot bake baking. It's a vacuous statement that doesn't mean anything.

I can easily have more and better experiential evidence for salvation than quantum theory. I have experienced the former and only have the word of a few that the latter even exists.
Quantum theory actually produces testable and observable facts that have a real world impact. The very computer you are typing on at this very moment is in part produced by mechanisms designed and understood using quantum theory. So this means, hilariously, that you are claiming you can more easily produce evidence of salvation than quantum theory, while accidentally and unwittingly demonstrating the reliability of quantum theory. You are emphatically defeated by your own argument.

I did not settle on what I believe to be true by preference, most of what I believe I would prefer to be different.
This is just blatantly false. You chose to believe what you believe when you could have easily found a more rational conclusion to reach, and you clearly try to make reality fit this perception.

The majority of scientific opinion at least for most of us is simply the acceptance of the word of others based on faith.
Perhaps, for most, but those people are more than welcome to go and investigate the facts for themselves. That's the beauty of science: it doesn't just assert things blindly and leave no working. In fact, every discovery made by science is woven into the world around us. It is the knowledge obtained by science that is to thank for all the modern conveniences and comforts we enjoy. The computer you type on, the light that lights it, the heating in your home. You'd have to be an absolute fool to think that you were taking scientific claims on faith when science produces tangible benefits to you every single day of your life.

Even experts in one field have carried out few personal proofs of claims of another field. Today this is true even among most interdisciplinary claims. However the nature of the miraculous makes personal experience of it's truth available to potentially anyone. It requires no expertise, no years of training, and no faith in theory.
So, in other words, no actual knowledge or understanding.

I know I was born again with far more certainty than I know 99% of what I was taught in college is true.
And there are many people in the world with similar experiences to you who came to believe completely contradictory things than you. The degree of certainty to which you believe something is irrelevant - you can still be wrong.

You have twice in one post given proof of what you claimed is a straw man. You have twice insinuated that what is scientific is true.
No, I have not.

So is my faith. In fact Jesus himself and the apostles said that nature alone is enough to justify faith.
And why should I agree with people who supposedly lived two-thousand years ago and knew very little - if anything - about how the universe actually functions?

Did you verify Hawking's claims?
I could easily go and read his book.

Do you have the education to demonstrate the validity of most of Newton's ideas.
Yes. And where he was wrong, of course.

No, you like everyone accepts it on authority and a faith in competence.
No, I accept them because their claims produce real, tangible results. If Newton's claims weren't accurate to an extent, we wouldn't be able to make predictions about speed and velocity. But we can. I don't have to take on faith what demonstrates it's validity to us every single day.

The exact same way I evaluate claims to the miraculous. Does the source have availability to the events? Are they competent (mentally, etc..)? Are they credible? Do their claims line up with my personal experience? Etc.... Also all supernatural claims are not equal.
How could you possibly compare them?

I must employ as much or more methodology in evaluating them as to evaluating anything in science.
But you don't. You just trust your interpretation and ignore any possibility of it being wrong.

Me or you either one are likely to in our lifetimes ever know personally the factual nature of a single claim about the quantum.
Again, you're typing on a computer filled with microprocessors right now. You're demonstrating that quantum theory is demonstrable while simultaneously claiming we'll never know if it's true.

We simply do not have access to the evidence nor the competence to evaluate it effectively if we did. Virtually everything you say in these posts is evidence of my primary claim. That you do not evaluate claims by consistent methods (even if you think that you do).
And everything you just said in those post proves that you don't actually know what quantum theory actually claims or produces.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
No, just certain experiences as evidence of claims which require vastly greater quantities of evidence to ascertain.
I have far more personal evidence to satisfy my claims of the supernatural than most of that which I believe about the natural. Not one natural fact is certain. We could all be in a matrix type of state without the slightest way to be certain we are not. So no fact is certain this side of the dirt anyway. Take any of the scientific theories I am skeptical of. In fact take them all. No one (in this forum anyway) has access to the most basic of facts regarding them. Many of them have no one who is possessed of much evidence for them. You speak the truth above when you say that you do not reject all experience claims. You only reject some of them and have no coherent justification in your choice between which claims go into which category. That has been my point.

So, nothing is demonstrable, testable or based on reasonable conclusions drawn from facts? That seems odd of you to say since you were just a moment ago talking about "attested facts" in the Bible.
Based on the standards you apply to theological claims then most claims of every type would be without justification. I was agreeing with you. I was pointing out what the ultimate outcome of your thinking would mean. Based on my standards both most of scientific claims and much of theological claims can be justifiably valid. Your confusing what your standards would mean with what mine would mean. There is far more evidence to believe in an empty tomb than for multiple universes and on that basis I can be skeptical about the latter and adopt the former. You must reverse this logic to support illogical standards and arrive at the opposite conclusion.

Which is as silly and pointless as saying out that you cannot bake baking. It's a vacuous statement that doesn't mean anything.
I don't get the analogy. If you equate science with fact then since science cannot be validated through science alone, it is your problem not mine. I do not hold to that equivalence and so do not have the problem you do.

Quantum theory actually produces testable and observable facts that have a real world impact. The very computer you are typing on at this very moment is in part produced by mechanisms designed and understood using quantum theory. So this means, hilariously, that you are claiming you can more easily produce evidence of salvation than quantum theory, while accidentally and unwittingly demonstrating the reliability of quantum theory. You are emphatically defeated by your own argument.
I did not deny anything about the quantum. I said you do not have access to any of the evidence and do not possess the ability to properly evaluate it even if you did. Most of us do not *** well. You, I, and most of us simply take others words on things like the quantum. Nothing wrong with that unless you simultaneously refuse to take others words for the sole reasons that you do not like them. Most of an individuals knowledge is based on faith. No problem unless you deny that fact as you seem to be doing.

This is just blatantly false. You chose to believe what you believe when you could have easily found a more rational conclusion to reach, and you clearly try to make reality fit this perception.
It is statements like this that serve to confirm my position that your side simply does not understand what they are saying. I am the worlds greatest expert on why I have faith and my motivations. I spent 27 years trying my best to find rational reasons to deny God. Many of them being certain there was no God and even if he existed I hated him. I finally ran completely out of justifications for either view. I would change about 95% of what I believe to be true. How in the world is my faith wishful thinking in that case and how in the world do you expect me to believe you about science if you think you know more than I about what and why I have faith? This type of thing is certain proof of very flawed reasoning.

I am out of time. Try to get to the rest soon. However the all to real fact that science (even the most reliable of applicable science is more often than not flawed) means that lately I have been very busy making 90's technology function correctly to debate what happened billions of years ago. So I can promise nothing. My employment depends on scientific imperfection and business is a boomin.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I have far more personal evidence to satisfy my claims of the supernatural than most of that which I believe about the natural.
The key phrases being "personal experience" and "my claims". I cannot refute, or even really deny, your experiences - but I can still question the validity of them as evidence of your claim from an objective viewpoint, and as a reasonable assessment of reality.

Not one natural fact is certain. We could all be in a matrix type of state without the slightest way to be certain we are not. So no fact is certain this side of the dirt anyway.
And yet you must be beholden to some degree of certainty about reality, or else you wouldn't have formulated any conclusions about anything - even ones based on personal experience. In fact, especially ones based on personal experience.

Take any of the scientific theories I am skeptical of. In fact take them all. No one (in this forum anyway) has access to the most basic of facts regarding them.
Actually, yes we do. There are countless books and museums dedicated to them. And even if we don't see the evidence directly ourselves, we can still see the effect of the conclusions drawn from them from everything that the scientific method has provided for us. Every time you use a computer, heat your house, or take medicine you are utilizing machines built and designed entirely on predictions ascertained from the scientific method. You are, in fact, demonstrating these these predictions are accurate.

Many of them have no one who is possessed of much evidence for them. You speak the truth above when you say that you do not reject all experience claims. You only reject some of them and have no coherent justification in your choice between which claims go into which category. That has been my point.
But I do have coherent justification. I only believe claims for which I have considered the evidence to be sufficient to judge the claim worth believing beyond a reasonable doubt.

Based on the standards you apply to theological claims then most claims of every type would be without justification. I was agreeing with you. I was pointing out what the ultimate outcome of your thinking would mean.
In the same way that the "ultimate outcome" of your thinking would be to believe every claim made from personal experience about everything, even when they are claims made about things you don't believe?

Based on my standards both most of scientific claims and much of theological claims can be justifiably valid. Your confusing what your standards would mean with what mine would mean. There is far more evidence to believe in an empty tomb than for multiple universes and on that basis I can be skeptical about the latter and adopt the former.
This is a pretty poor comparison. A historical event vs. a proposed explanation for a given phenomena aren't even remotely equal. Nobody here has claimed the multiple universe interpretation of quantum physics to be a fact - and I've never particularly objected to the claim of an empty tomb.

I don't get the analogy. If you equate science with fact then since science cannot be validated through science alone, it is your problem not mine. I do not hold to that equivalence and so do not have the problem you do.
So you cannot explain how my analogy is inaccurate?

I did not deny anything about the quantum. I said you do not have access to any of the evidence and do not possess the ability to properly evaluate it even if you did. Most of us do not as well. You, I, and most of us simply take others words on things like the quantum. Nothing wrong with that unless you simultaneously refuse to take others words for the sole reasons that you do not like them. Most of an individuals knowledge is based on faith. No problem unless you deny that fact as you seem to be doing.
But I don't. I've read up on quantum physics. I am familiar with the concepts involved and with the tests devised to demonstrate them, as well as the fact that we have predictions made by quantum mechanics to thank for the existence of such things as microprocessors and lasers. Are you denying that?

It is statements like this that serve to confirm my position that your side simply does not understand what they are saying. I am the worlds greatest expert on why I have faith and my motivations.
But you can still be wrong. While I cannot question your experience, I can still question them as a rational basis to make objective assessments of reality.

I spent 27 years trying my best to find rational reasons to deny God. Many of them being certain there was no God and even if he existed I hated him. I finally ran completely out of justifications for either view. I would change about 95% of what I believe to be true. How in the world is my faith wishful thinking in that case and how in the world do you expect me to believe you about science if you think you know more than I about what and why I have faith? This type of thing is certain proof of very flawed reasoning.
Because you are a flawed human being as well, and you are capable of being wrong - and even being capable of denying that to yourself. The fact that you have to deny empirical facts to support your beliefs is sufficient proof to me that your beliefs are not logical, and obtained through means of delusion. You don't believe that, I'm sure, but to me it is a reasonable conclusion.

I am out of time. Try to get to the rest soon. However the all to real fact that science (even the most reliable of applicable science is more often than not flawed) means that lately I have been very busy making 90's technology function correctly to debate what happened billions of years ago. So I can promise nothing. My employment depends on scientific imperfection and business is a boomin.
So, science doesn't produce things that work? What on earth are you typing on?

Maldini

If something can't come out of nothing, then nothing would ever exist. Even god, because if the stuff that led to Big Bang, or a living cell can't come out of nothing, than hell sure something as big and as complex as God can't as well.

So we really can't accept God as an explanation for how stuff came out of nothing.

But this is the question that usually bugs my mind: Is "Nothing" really possible? I mean there could be no nothing unless there was a thing.

It's a really wild question, and I think any answer to it would be too philosophical and almost incomprehensible.

My childish theory is, There has never been a nothing, but only stuff who could recreate and survive will remain and the rest will vanish, hence why stuff exists, and why only the remaining universe is possible because it can reproduce ad survive.

Nothing in our universe is static, everything is moving, changing their location, energy and even mass at all moments. In this kind of ever changing environment the only stuff that can survive are the ones who have away of adapting, surviving and reproducing, that's why our life is the only possible life, because it was formed by a way in which it could reproduce and adapt.

But I have absolutely no proof for it, and I don't posses the intellectual capability to defend or even propose it, but my gut feeling tells me universe is something like that.

Gordian Knot

Being Deviant IS My Art.
ROBIN POSTED "Let me ask you this do you grant the people who believe in UFO's enough credibility to concede they very well might exist?"

Robin you made many comments about my earlier post. Don't have the time today to respond in kind and for that my apologies. I picked out the one question you asked that will I believe clarify my position about the topic in general.

Do I believe that many people who have had UFO encounters believe that what they experienced was real? Yes I do. As you know, simply because someone believes an event happened, that in itself is not proof that it did happen. The reality is that human senses are easily fooled. Memories are notoriously fallible.

More directly to your question, do I concede enough credibility to the number of UFO sightings that they might exist? To make sure we are on the same page, the question is do I believe it possible that beings from another planet have visited earth?

That answer is no. Why? If one understands the reality of the physics behind such an attempt, the amount of power, time and energy required to pull this off makes the likelihood virtually impossible. This is actually depressing to me. But what I would 'like' to believe is not relevant.

The point of all of this? As with UFO experiences, events in ancient times that have no other foundation for validity except human observation simply cannot be considered factual. No matter how many people would like it to have happened is not relevant to the possibility that it did happen.

For what it is worth, my thoughts about the Multiverse theory are similar. With nothing supporting the theory except the math works, that is equally impossible for me to believe.

If nothing else at least I am consistent!

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Perhaps, for most, but those people are more than welcome to go and investigate the facts for themselves. That's the beauty of science: it doesn't just assert things blindly and leave no working. In fact, every discovery made by science is woven into the world around us. It is the knowledge obtained by science that is to thank for all the modern conveniences and comforts we enjoy. The computer you type on, the light that lights it, the heating in your home. You'd have to be an absolute fool to think that you were taking scientific claims on faith when science produces tangible benefits to you every single day of your life.
Both science and Christianity are guilty of holding presupposed ideas that influence what is taken from data. No subject in human history is free from it. I concede Christianity's capacity to delude it's self and so will no expand on it. At no other time in history has science been as driven by money as it is now. The need to be published, tenured, accepted into the mainstream and get grant money has done to science what it has done to every form of government wayward man has ever coughed up. It has corrupted it where possible. This is present even in arenas where functionality must arise. I work in such a field and have seen billions go wasted on theories based on presumptions and pet theories. I was in the military and am an amateur military historian and know that tens of millions have died on the alter of sciences presumptions. However it gets far worse for the portions of science where proof is unavailable and unlikely to ever be. Things are constantly asserted as fact or likely that have no evidence, far more are asserted that depend entirely on either the dominant narrative, or presumptions. Every scientific argument against theology lies entirely within this most likely to contain error divisions of science.

I had a entire page of a response to your comment about what I know if a computer is seen in front of me. I will instead give a brief comment and move on. The only thing I KNOW is that I think a man made object lies before me. I have a whole library of things I may believe in addition to this but not one is free of faith. The same is true of the rest of science. The exact same is true of theology. I run tests until I am satisfied and then make educated guesses about the science I do during the day and the bible I read at night

You will without suggest that maybe the tests are the same but the quality of data is different and you would be right, but not about how you categorize these qualities versus claim. There are far better reasons and data to have faith that Jesus lived and died than for multiverses.

So, in other words, no actual knowledge or understanding.
No, little certainty but vast amounts of potential understanding.

And there are many people in the world with similar experiences to you who came to believe completely contradictory things than you. The degree of certainty to which you believe something is irrelevant - you can still be wrong
You need far more specificity to even have this conversation. Needless to say very few people have experienced Christ and then went on to conclude he does not exist. Your are attempting to equate one thing you have little knowledge of with another you have little or knowledge of. You do not know and even less understand what my experiences are much less that bushman in Africa.

No, I have not.
I believe you have.

And why should I agree with people who supposedly lived two-thousand years ago and knew very little - if anything - about how the universe actually functions?
Because what they did say turned out to contradict science as early as 60 years ago but prove correct in the end. There is not one single cosmological fact that does not agree with their straightforward claims. You should believe them because they are true. You should consider if they are from a God because they were ignorant, yet still were correct in-spite of even Einstein. His self admitted most abject professional failure would have been avoided by believing Genesis.

I could easily go and read his book.
Does that get you any closer to the data? Does that make you any more qualified to understand what he stated? I have 190 semester hours in college and 90% of what he says that is scientific (50% of the total is philosophic and wrong anyway) I have no way whatever to know the truth of and neither does he. In his particular case I used the 10% I do understand to arrive at the conclusion that his philosophic conclusions arrive not from data but from his lack of knowledge in philosophy. However do not take my word. I will give you a link to a conference where two philosophers, a pure mathematics professor from Oxford, and a moral theorist from Cambridge not only point out his scientific assumptions but show easily how most of his conclusions are philosophic not scientific and completely unjustifiable.

Yes. And where he was wrong, of course.
What level of education is that exactly? I have been through partial DE and can't do it.

No, I accept them because their claims produce real, tangible results. If Newton's claims weren't accurate to an extent, we wouldn't be able to make predictions about speed and velocity. But we can. I don't have to take on faith what demonstrates it's validity to us every single day.
There are no actual results or data that confirm anything that would cause anyone to reject Genesis or any other book base on science alone. Everything used to debate against the bible lies firmly in theoretical arenas.

Ambrose Fleming asserts that there is nothing in the Gospels that would cause a man of science to have problems with the miracles contained therein, and concludes with a challenge to intellectual honesty, asserting that if such a "...study is pursued with what eminent lawyers have called a willing mind, it will engender a deep assurance that the Christian Church is not founded on fictions, or nourished on delusions, or, as St. Peter calls them, 'cunningly devised fables,' but on historical and actual events, which, however strange they may be, are indeed the greatest events which have ever happened in the history of the world."
Evidence That Demands a Verdict - Ch. 10 p. 2

How could you possibly compare them?
I gave you several of the vast numbers of ways in which that can be done. Until you acknowledge those there is little need for more.

But you don't. You just trust your interpretation and ignore any possibility of it being wrong.
Christians are the group above any other that have arrived at the position most in opposition to that which they began with. You cannot even become a Christian without having to admit that your entire being and world view is wrong. Your being silly and trite.

Again, you're typing on a computer filled with microprocessors right now. You're demonstrating that quantum theory is demonstrable while simultaneously claiming we'll never know if it's true.
Yes and I can read a bible on it that I can run similar tests on. The exact same tests used in textual scholarship, the historical method, legal systems, and all other arenas in life and arrive depending on the claim at more or less the same assurance I can for processor theory. BTW connecting quantum THEORY, electronic THEORY, or any other with reality is the exact same as connected the authorities THEORY about any event and the data I can access. I can not see a single quantum event ever take place. Your belief that theory reflects reality is almost pure faith. I agree that it is probably true so once again I am consistent while you are not. Your excluding by categorization.

And everything you just said in those post proves that you don't actually know what quantum theory actually claims or produces.
I meant me and you and unless you have a PhD and some very long and meaningful and experience I am 100% correct. Of course I am not a quantum
mechanics expert. There are only at best a few hundred who are. However I have far less skepticism about them than about the pure theoreticians that cough up these fantasies about multi-verses, the origin of life, and the nature of morality, etc...