• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Torah

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Having completed his reading of the Bible from cover to cover, my husband wants to proceed next to the Torah. Any suggestions as to translation, edition, etc.?

yuvgotmel

I just cut and pasted this part from another thread....

For "Kosher" English translations of the Torah (the first five books of the "Old Testament") along with the Haftarot (the Jewish writings and prophets), here are two links:

1. Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan's translation:
http://www.amazon.com/Living-Torah-H...8340822&sr=1-1

2. Stone Edition (of the Tanach):
http://www.milechai.com/product/stonechumash.html

Also, like I mentioned on the other thread, the JPS (Jewish Publishing Society) version of the Tanach is NOT considered a "Kosher" translation. However, it is the most similar (that I have found) to the Christian-Bible NIV (New International Version) translation.

Hope that helps.

I personally love Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan's "The Living Torah" version. And there is quite a bit of commentary at the bottom of each page. (By the way, Kaplan's translation IS considered "Kosher.")

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Thank you, Mel! That's very helpful. I'll pass this information on to him.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It is best to purchase the new JPS (or, similaly, Etz Hayim) and supplement it with Alter and, perhaps, Friedman. The Stone Edition is underwhelming.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Thank you all! I was originally going to suggest that he just go into a book store and grab one off the shelf. I'm so glad I thought to ask for suggestions first.