• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Trinity

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
you dont seem to understand "you" and your viewpoint is a rarity and its not the same points I was debating with others
What were the points you were debating with others?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
There's a difference between creating Deity and creating certain understandings of Deity -- unless you're accusing me of idolatry, which is futile, since I don't believe God is a particularity.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
There's a difference between creating Deity and creating certain understandings of Deity -- unless you're accusing me of idolatry, which is futile, since I don't believe God is a particularity.

O.k., so 'creating certain understandings of Deity'...and your opinions are more valid than anybody elses?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Outhouse:
Just because you don't buy into the theological authority of the church doesn't negate that authority and, thus, does nothing for your argument. As an atheist, I should think that it's your opinion that carries no weight -- not that of the church. Your opinion is OK, but it certainly carries less weight than the church that developed the understanding (which you don't get) in the first place. That would be like me telling the Hindus that reincarnation is "full of bull." It's their religion -- their understanding.

Yes, it does negate the authority.

Jordan St. Francis

I'm saying an atheist trying to prove that Scripture does not contain the Trinitarian doctrine is a waste of time for both the Catholic and the atheist (and certain catholic derivatives). We don't prove it with Scripture. It is, in any case, a matter of the assent of faith to a truth divinely revealed. We believe that the Holy Spirit guides the Church, even in its historical circumstances, in making solemn definitions of doctrine, as it did in the fourth century.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I'm saying an atheist trying to prove that Scripture does not contain the Trinitarian doctrine is a waste of time for both the Catholic and the atheist (and certain catholic derivatives). We don't prove it with Scripture. It is, in any case, a matter of the assent of faith to a truth divinely revealed. We believe that the Holy Spirit guides the Church, even in its historical circumstances, in making solemn definitions of doctrine, as it did in the fourth century.

I still have no idea how that applies to the argument in this thread.

Jordan St. Francis

It applies to the crux of Outhouse's argument that the Trinity is not found in Scripture. At which point Sojourner accused him of holding to sola scriptura, where he then responded that he thinks all religious doctrines are man made anyway.