• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Truth

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
'The truth, to be sure can stand on one leg; but with two it will walk and get around' - Nietzsche
Is The Truth that for us humans there is no absolute Truth?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I read of one study that found philosophers and theologians tend to think in absolutes, while scientists and artists tend to think conditionally.

+Xausted

I read of one study that found philosophers and theologians tend to think in absolutes, while scientists and artists tend to think conditionally.
That may be correct in theory however I think you will find that many ssucume to absolutes without even meaning to (have you ever spoke to one? they think they know it all;))

tennis_hero

The truth is Stalin and Mao were atheists......... )(

what is an asolute truth, ahh what a great question

YouTube - Thank you, Atheists

one of the best books a read in the last few years was the irrational atheist by Vox day

i'd suggest atheists read it but they get all defensive when their high priests are called out on their lies ;)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist

one of the best books a read in the last few years was the irrational atheist by Vox day

i'd suggest atheists read it but they get all defensive when their high priests are called out on their lies ;)

Is that a demonstration of the fruits of absolute truth?

BucephalusBB

ABACABB

Your title tells me you hate religion, your posts tell me you hate something else..:(

tennis_hero

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=F7Qu9fHicIQ&feature=channel_page

the only absolute truth in life

under every rock, even before the beginnings of life itself, there was a self righteous atheist with a glass of whine ;)

Last edited:

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Absolute truth is holding a tennis ball and believing that what you sense is all there is of that tennis ball.

Or holding a map of the world and believing the boundary lines of the countries are really there.

Or, as Sunstone has constantly reminded me, it's believing the map is the same as the territory.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I can't help but believe that there is a Truth, with a capital T, out there. There either is or there isn't a God. The answer is part of the Truth. I basically think of Truth as a collection of facts about the universe that are unequivocally, well, true. I don't think we can ever truly be sure that we have attained that Truth, however. Thus, the scientific method of possiblities and probabilities is probably best. :)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
So when a blind man holds said tennis ball, is all that is truth about the ball its form and shape? Is there no colour?

That's part of my point. ;)

We all contribute to what is "truth." I tend to take the same path as the existentialists in my view of what this tricky critter is: truth is the experience of an individual who puts his emotional ownership and logical razors to use (the two legs).

Absolute truth appears to describe something outside of a subject. But things such as form and shape exist in the subjective. Measurement and things that require reference (colors) are useless without such a relationship.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
'The truth, to be sure can stand on one leg; but with two it will walk and get around' - Nietzsche
No one true thing is "the absolute truth"; truth itself is the absolute thing. People seem to have trouble separating "truth" (thing) from "the thing" that is true. Truth, itself, stands firm; as a property of a thing, it "gets around".

Last edited:

BruceDLimber

Greetings! :)

In the Baha'i view, definitely, yes!

Everything in this life is relative, truth included, which is why what is best can (and does) change from time to time!

And further, the Baha'i scriptures say this:

"Such an existence is a contingent and not an absolute existence, inasmuch as the former is preceded by a cause, whilst the latter is independent thereof.

"Absolute existence is strictly confined to God, exalted be His glory. Well is it with them that apprehend this truth."

—(Gleanings, page 157)

Best, :)

Bruce

Last edited: