• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Tug-of-War Between Western Powers and China

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not posting this video for the interview per se but for the overarching discussion about the tug-of-war between Western powers and China, and the ramifications of that for the world and global efforts to address climate change.

The video starts with a claim from Liz Truss that China is the "largest threat both to the world and to the United Kingdom," a tone-deaf and self-centered claim that overlooks China's relations with much of the Global South and even with many Western countries. At around 3:56 (which I timestamped in the link below), the host, Andrew Marr, asks the CCP spokesperson, Victor Gao, about "what language we [the UK] use about China": whether it is a "competitor," an "ally," or a "threat":

I'm glad that the influence of Western powers prevents China from having free rein to bully other countries or invade them (as it wants to do to Taiwan) without worrying about significant pushback, but I'm also glad the reverse is true. The attempts of the US and the UK, of all countries, to lecture others on the "global order" or "threats to the world" usually come across as starkly inconsistent at best—which also goes for China with its litany of human rights abuses on a domestic level and its own geopolitical bullying and aspirations for global hegemony.

Between the power struggle involving the US and China, the rise of India as a global power, and the intensifying climate crisis that requires global coordination to tackle—especially between these three countries, as they are the world's largest carbon emitters—I suspect that the next two to three decades may well be a unique and difficult period.

What are your thoughts? Where do you see the current situation and the competition for global hegemony leading us in the next two to three decades?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Watching the US and the UK, of all countries, try to lecture anyone on the "global order" or "threats to the world" rings hollow at best
By "rings hollow at best", suggests something
worst than merely ringing hollow. Do you
find China to be no threat to global order or
to the world?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
By "rings hollow at best", suggests something
worst than merely ringing hollow.

I edited that part of the OP to something I find more precise, but yes, sometimes it comes across as worse than that: it can be hypocritical, used to drum up support for either country's own hegemonic aspirations, or even a part of campaigning to legitimize military hostility, among other things.

Do you
find China to be no threat to global order or
to the world?

That depends on which part of the world we're talking about, but generally, I find it a threat to both in many ways, albeit not more or less than the US is. The two of them are more comparable than the government of either seems to admit.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I edited that part of the OP to something I find more precise, but yes, sometimes it comes across as worse than that: it can be hypocritical, used to drum up support for either country's own hegemonic aspirations, or even a part of campaigning to legitimize military hostility, among other things.

That depends on which part of the world we're talking about, but generally, I find it a threat to both in many ways, albeit not more or less than the US is. The two of them are more comparable than the government of either seems to admit.
Fascinating.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not posting this video for the interview per se but for the overarching discussion about the tug-of-war between Western powers and China, and the ramifications of that for the world and global efforts to address climate change.

The video starts with a claim from Liz Truss that China is the "largest threat both to the world and to the United Kingdom," a tone-deaf and self-centered claim that overlooks China's relations with much of the Global South and even with many Western countries. At around 3:56 (which I timestamped in the link below), the host, Andrew Marr, asks the CCP spokesperson, Victor Gao, about "what language we [the UK] use about China": whether it is a "competitor," an "ally," or a "threat":

I'm glad that the influence of Western powers prevents China from having free rein to bully other countries or invade them (as it wants to do to Taiwan) without worrying about significant pushback, but I'm also glad the reverse is true. The attempts of the US and the UK, of all countries, to lecture others on the "global order" or "threats to the world" usually come across as starkly inconsistent at best—which also goes for China with its litany of human rights abuses on a domestic level and its own geopolitical bullying and aspirations for global hegemony.

Between the power struggle involving the US and China, the rise of India as a global power, and the intensifying climate crisis that requires global coordination to tackle—especially between these three countries, as they are the world's largest carbon emitters—I suspect that the next two to three decades may well be a unique and difficult period.

What are your thoughts? Where do you see the current situation and the competition for global hegemony leading us in the next two to three decades?

I thought the answer to the question from the CCP spokesperson was interesting. He was essentially saying that Britain can't compete with China in the various categories he listed (auto production, AI development, semiconductors, etc.). "Is Britain a competitor? No," he kept saying.

Obviously, the West has had a bit of history with China, Britain probably more so than the U.S. at first.

The U.S. leadership has been largely myopic and reactive in its foreign policy in general. Their recurring and never-ending problem seems to be some kind of willful indecisiveness as to whether they want to work for America's best interests on the global stage, or whether they want to make the world safe for freedom and democracy.

Back in 1949, China was not necessarily considered an immediate threat to America, although we sided with the Chinese Nationalist government which fled to Taiwan and considered them the true government of China for over 20 years until Nixon reversed that policy (though still guaranteed Taiwan's security). Overall, during the Cold War, the US leadership viewed the Soviet Bloc as being the greater threat, and with the Sino-Soviet split creating a window of opportunity, Nixon took it. (Nixon may have been a scoundrel overall, but that was one of the few bright spots in an otherwise dismal administration.)

Meanwhile, China and the U.S. got even more cozy with each other, while the Soviet Union favored detente with the West. Reagan came in like gangbusters and pretty much ended detente, and decided that America should start building up its military and act more aggressively in fighting the "evil empire." For the most part, China wasn't really considered any great threat, and in fact, a lot of Americans saw warming relations with China as an economic opportunity, since China was reforming and becoming more capitalist-friendly.

I think the Soviets were also open to having a more economically and politically "normalized" relationship with the U.S., particularly under Gorbachev. Two events I recall which happened was that they started tearing down the Berlin Wall, and the East Germans and Soviets didn't really do anything. This demonstrated (to me, at least) that they were probably getting tired of walls and barbed wire and iron curtains and all the other trappings of the Cold War, the roots of which grew out of disagreements from WW2 which no longer really seemed relevant more than 40 years later. It had gone on for far too long, and both sides were obviously getting weary of it.

In China, it also seemed like they were undergoing progressive changes as well, and there were protests in Tiananmen Square - which were ultimately crushed by tanks. Quite a contrast between what happened in Berlin and what happened in Beijing, as it appeared at the time that Russia and the rest of Eastern Europe could become free and democratic, but China would not be.

Still, for whatever reason (and most likely a very dumb reason), U.S. policy remained guarded towards Russia, still apparently considering them a potential threat, while pretty much throwing caution to the four winds when it came to China. Outsourcing became a big bonanza as Western corporations looked at China and saw nothing but money. The Chinese apparently understood the weakness of Western political and business leaders is money. A lot of Americans at the time might have thought that, if we do business with the Chinese, they'll come to understand and love the joys of capitalism and freedom that they'll eventually come around to our way of thinking.

Was their apparent friendly attitude towards the US in the 80s and 90s just a big ruse, designed to lull American leaders into a false sense of security until we fell into their diabolical, intricately-designed trap 30 years later? Or was it our government and our political and business leaders who were being dishonest? Did they do something to sour relations, or did we?

I mean, we've always known that they've wanted Taiwan back, going all the way back to 1949. So, I can't really understand why the government is acting like it's some great big shock, like they never heard of the idea before. We knew it back when they massacred all those protesters at Tiananmen Square, yet still decided to do more and more business with that government. We knew (or should have known) who and what we were dealing with, so it's a bit late for the West to be crying about it now.

When looking at the larger picture, not just in terms of China, but I've heard it from people in other countries as well, I get the feeling that large segments of the world are seemingly fed up with American militarism and interventionism, along with the sanctimonious attitude that often goes with it - the idea of Captain America out to right all the world's wrongs and act as the leader of the free world. Even in other Western countries, as well as within America itself, there are those who view it with a sense of cynicism and dismay - some of it a legacy from the Vietnam War era, but also with a noticeable dimension of exposure and greater interaction with people from outside of America who express a much different view of American policy than what most Americans were raised with.

When we have politicians who openly say things like "Bomb them back to the Stone Age," people from outside America might look at that and think that we've gone stark, raving mad. There is a very strong warmongering, warlike element within our political and popular culture that many Americans probably recognize, since it's something many of us grew up with. But I can also see where people who have been on the receiving end of America's military might could develop a different point of view. Others might be watching as well, and if we really took a long, hard objective look at our government, our politicians, and their behavior over the past 30-40 years, we might begin to understand why other countries might see us in a less than flattering light.

At this point, I don't know exactly what the future holds, because it's not really clear what China and the West would have any kind of tug-of-war or power struggle over. I don't see any real basis for conflict with China. While the US was too busy playing soldier around the world, other countries like China were quietly building up their industries and improving their technology, while US industries deteriorated and US schools found themselves woefully behind the rest of the industrialized world.

In other words, the US-sponsored "global economy" of outsourcing combined with military adventurism turned out to be a real stinker ever since Reagan, Bush, and Clinton brought it to us. And now, we have an unstable and dangerous Russia to deal with, and an increasingly intransigent China bristling against Western sanctimony. This, along with a flagging economy, a diminished infrastructure, and an ever-widening and polarized political rift which could lead to greater discord and instability.

lukethethird

unknown member
China is not the problem that the west makes it out to be, and it could have been real easy to have made a peace agreement with Russia had the west wanted to. It appears we are stuck with the forever wars policy of neocons in Washington and its nato lackys. The future doesn't look good.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
China is not the problem that the west makes it out to be, and it could have been real easy to have made a peace agreement with Russia had the west wanted to. It appears we are stuck with the forever wars policy of neocons in Washington and its nato lackys. The future doesn't look good.

I wouldn't downplay the threat of China's hegemonic aspirations, and I also think Russia has shown itself both historically and currently to be quite hostile in pursuit of imperialist expansion. Another problem is that their rival global powers aren't benevolent saviors either, though, as many historical and current policies demonstrate. I think what most of that comes down to is that human nature makes it so that any country with enough power will look to dominate other countries, project power even when it doesn't need to do so for self-defense, or exploit and abuse other countries and people to its advantage.

I don't think the nature of our species will ever change, unfortunately.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

A lot of it would depend on what the Western leadership wants and what they value. As I said above, they can't seem to make up their minds, which is the major problem. Our government can't seem to decide whether to pursue some ideological aim, like making the world safe for democracy and fighting for freedom all over the world - or whether they want to pursue America's national interests irrespective of ideology (such as by supporting Saudi Arabia's government or doing business with China).

This means one of two possibilities:

1. Our government is lying about its foreign policy and has some hidden agenda rooted in corruption.
2. Our government is comprised of very foolish, naive, myopic, and ignorant people who don't understand the outside world and are woefully unqualified to make policymaking decisions in that regard.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What about it is? Bear in mind my perspective is far from uncommon globally, and the same goes for yours. I don't see either as "fascinating"; just different from each other.
Your view of seeming equivalence of
threats posted by China & USA.
I'm not arguing...just fascinated.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Can China and all the nations of the world combined hold a candle to the threats carried out by the US?
Candle?
China & Russia each have flamethrowers.
Russia has the most nuclear weapons, & now threatens
to use them against the west. Oh, it's also invaded Ukraine.
China's terror....just ask Uighurs & people in Tibet & Taiwan.
They also supported Putin's invasion.

So I find such fervent anti-USA posturing to be quite histrionic.

lukethethird

unknown member
Candle?
China & Russia each have flamethrowers.
Russia has the most nuclear weapons, & now threatens
to use them against the west. Oh, it's also invaded Ukraine.
China's terror....just ask Uighurs & people in Tibet & Taiwan.
They also supported Putin's invasion.

So I find such fervent anti-USA posturing to be quite histrionic.
That's it? I wonder, in the US, how people of colour and immigrants relate to Uighurs, and how the natives relate to people of Tibet.
How is China supporting Putin's invasion?
I love the USA, it's their current foreign policy and its history that other nations can't hold a candle to.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
That's it? I wonder, in the US, how people of colour and immigrants relate to Uighurs,

It's not remotely comparable, though. China is carrying out a genocide. While the US also committed genocide in its earlier days, the current situation of ethnic minorities and immigrants in the US is far better than that of Uyghurs in China.

and how the natives relate to people of Tibet.

Again, maybe historically, but currently? I don't think the two situations are similar at all.

The US is miles ahead of China in terms of domestic freedoms and rights. When it comes to foreign policy, however, I think the two are quite comparable on a global scale.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's it? I wonder, in the US, how people of colour and immigrants relate to Uighurs, and how the natives relate to people of Tibet.
How is China supporting Putin's invasion?
Instead of applying economic sanctions,
China has increased trade with Russia,
thereby reducing sanctions' effects.

I love the USA, it's their current foreign policy and its history that other nations can't hold a candle to.
When speaking of current threats, one must
consider primarily current actions & stated
intentions of countries.
History can illuminate, but what is happening
& will likely happen are far more important.
For example, I find it unlikely that China & Russia
will starve/purge tens of millions of their own
people again. Nor will USA wipe out Indians again.
So....
What are these countries currently doing, & also
threatening to do?

lukethethird

unknown member
Instead of applying economic sanctions,
China has increased trade with Russia,
thereby reducing sanctions' effects.

When speaking of current threats, one must
consider primarily current actions & stated
intentions of countries.
History can illuminate, but what is happening
& will likely happen are far more important.
For example, I find it unlikely that China & Russia
will starve/purge tens of millions of their own
people again. Nor will USA wipe out Indians again.
So....
What are these countries currently doing, & also
threatening to do?
Sanctions are an act of war and have never achieved what they are claimed to achieve. If only we could all engage in trading instead of wars.

Why is the US viewing China as a threat? Why does the US view any country as a threat? It seems odd that the US has so many enemies. Why the baseless accusations about China invading Taiwan? China has not had a problem with the One China policy so what gives?.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think Communist China is trying hard to weaken the US economically using foreign debt as leverage, and keeping America dependent to the point where trade with Communist China is too big to fail.

A weak America is much easier to control. In Communist China's favor.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Sanctions are an act of war and have never achieved what they are claimed to achieve. If only we could all engage in trading instead of wars.

Why is the US viewing China as a threat? Why does the US view any country as a threat? It seems odd that the US has so many enemies. Why the baseless accusations about China invading Taiwan? China has not had a problem with the One China policy so what gives?.

There are no countries which directly threaten the U.S. at this time. China has no territorial claims on the United States, nor have they made any incursions into U.S. territory (although the U.S. can't say the same, since we've made numerous incursions into Chinese territory).

At this point, I don't think any country has any active claims on U.S. territory. So, at least in that sense, there are no threats against us.

But other than that, how do we define a bona fide "threat" against America?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
There are no countries which directly threaten the U.S. at this time. China has no territorial claims on the United States, nor have they made any incursions into U.S. territory (although the U.S. can't say the same, since we've made numerous incursions into Chinese territory).

At this point, I don't think any country has any active claims on U.S. territory. So, at least in that sense, there are no threats against us.

But other than that, how do we define a bona fide "threat" against America?
There's still the matter of Taiwan of which the US is obligated via the Taiwan Act.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
There's still the matter of Taiwan of which the US is obligated via the Taiwan Act.

Yes, we would be obligated by treaty to aid in the defense of Taiwan if they are attacked by China. We've pledged to defend that island since 1949. Just as with North and South Korea, we still have these anachronistic anomalies left over from the Cold War.

For most of the past 70+ years, the U.S. has had the upper hand, militarily, at least enough to keep Taiwan safe and secure. But now, things are different, as China has modernized its military and become quite powerful. If China is dead set on taking Taiwan by force, the U.S. would have to commit enormous military resources and manpower to be able to defend Taiwan. And even then, it may not be enough. It could mean the end of America.

If China is an indirect threat to America via our pledge to defend Taiwan, then one might well wonder what America's leaders have been doing for the past several decades as to allow the situation to get away from us. Perhaps they're not qualified to be able to properly gauge what is a true threat to America versus a bogus threat. Bad, myopic leadership led us to this situation.