• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Use of Force

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Here is my question:

Does the United States government have the right to use for in order to create greater stability, to spread democracy, or to take out potencial threats to US security? If so, how is this right justified? If not, what should response to international terrorism be?

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
I would have to say no. If we minded our own buisness we would eliminate ourselves as potential targets of "international terrorists".

dbakerman76

God's Nephew
spacemonkey said:
I would have to say no. If we minded our own buisness we would eliminate ourselves as potential targets of "international terrorists".

My sentiments exactly. I am opposed to all US intervention in foreign affairs. Our only dealings with other countries should be trade (which should be totally free of all tariffs).

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
I'm generally opposed to foreign interventalism too, but I'm not sure that minding our own business would somehow remove us from the target list of fanatical terrorists.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Wandered Off said:
I'm generally opposed to foreign interventalism too, but I'm not sure that minding our own business would somehow remove us from the target list of fanatical terrorists.

Why do you think terrorists target us then, if not for our foriegn policy?

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
Maybe I'm paranoid, but I think there is a relatively small but rapidly growing group of religious fanatics who want to impose their religion on the rest of the world in a 'convert or die' fashion irrespective of any policies. Nutjobs like these have been easy to ignore because they lack the resources to inflict all-out war, but technology is on pace to reduce that barrier. Am I overdramatizing the situation? Always a possibility...

Its is our foreign policy, but its a similar situation as America from the 1960s back. Young men and women were brought up to hate blacks in the arab world they are brought up the same way. It will take at least a generation for that hate to discenigrate, but that will take a voice from the area and it will have to happen slowly. We are in too deep to simply stop, but we can make changes now that will have a great impact later.

Everyone has the right to self defense. However you can't just go kill your neighbor because hes got a gun and you think hes going to kill you.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Wandered Off said:
Maybe I'm paranoid, but I think there is a relatively small but rapidly growing group of religious fanatics who want to impose their religion on the rest of the world in a 'convert or die' fashion irrespective of any policies. Nutjobs like these have been easy to ignore because they lack the resources to inflict all-out war, but technology is on pace to reduce that barrier. Am I overdramatizing the situation? Always a possibility...

I don't think you are overdramatizing it at all. I'm afraid that doing nothing, is itself doing something - and what it is doing is allowing religious extremists to increase their tyranny at the expense of liberty. I don't believe that we can survive as isolationists, even though, ideally, I wish we could. But I don't have my mind made up on the issue yet.