• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Validity of the Kings James Bible

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Why do you think so?

I don't. I say that I don't know nor do I claim to know whether or not they are the same person. My point is, we have little evidence for this, and most of what evidence we have, such as writing style, points to them being the same person.

But I will not make any final claims about historical aspects for which we know little about, as such would be folly. No one knows for sure what happened and time machines haven't been invented yet.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I don't. I say that I don't know nor do I claim to know whether or not they are the same person. My point is, we have little evidence for this, and most of what evidence we have, such as writing style, points to them being the same person.
Really? Please reference the scholarship. Udo Schnelle notes ...
... there are serious differences in language, Christology, ecclesiology, and eschatology. ... The authors of Revelation and of the other Johannine writers are not the same. The author of revelation is a Jewish-Christian wandering prophet who has worked for a long time in the area of Paul's previous mission in Asia Minor, who now attempts to give them a new orientation in view of the mass of troubles he sees approaching.​
You might also wish to look here.

gnostic

The Lost One
Whenever I read the Old Testament now, I preferred to use the Tanakh, from the Jewish Publication Society (JPS), printed in 1985.

I simply preferred modern English translation to the English of KJV. It's clearer than the KJV in many areas.

gnostic

The Lost One
Jayhawker Soule said:
The 1999 Hebrew-English Edition has obviously been available for nearly a decade ...
By JPS?

I haven't been looking, since I got the copy of JPS because i was quite satisfy with. I didn't think I would need Hebrew transliteration; just need an excellent translation. Beside I didn't think I could spare the expense.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Really? Please reference the scholarship. Udo Schnelle notes ...
... there are serious differences in language, Christology, ecclesiology, and eschatology. ... The authors of Revelation and of the other Johannine writers are not the same. The author of revelation is a Jewish-Christian wandering prophet who has worked for a long time in the area of Paul's previous mission in Asia Minor, who now attempts to give them a new orientation in view of the mass of troubles he sees approaching.​
You might also wish to look here.

I was speaking from the History Channel documentaries, and I currently can't remember which one it was that said that.

Just because I might not remember who said it, does it mean I should not relay it? It's the knowledge that's important, not the one who said it. HOWEVER! if I ever remember who said something when I speak of them, I do cite... and directly quote.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Good grief ... :banghead3

I take it only things that are written count? Nothing else?

There are other mediums to spread knowledge, you know.

If you have evidence to say that the information on those programs differs drastically from written essays, books or whatever, please share it instead of banging your head against the wall(don't get me wrong, I love reading... fiction; I find most nonfiction to be extremely boring).

pallanfred

The point that some of them would live to see what they saw was due to the birth of the KOG in Acts 2. It was referring to the fact that the apostles, except J. Iscariot would witness the coming of the Kingdom. If researched, it can be evident that that incredible day at Pentecost as recorded in the scripture was the ushering in of the Kingdom here on earth. As Acts continues it records the birth of the Kingdom also in the Gentiles, both time of which Peter was present, and a necessary participant in those events.

Now, with the KJV being the perfect inspired word of God is ridiculous and naive. It IS SIMPLY A Translation, much of which relies on other translations, just like the NKJV, NAS, RSV, NIV, and the newer translations as well. We must either have the faith that God will work through these translations with the effects of having affection on people. We all can’t agree which reformer line to agree with, or which “restorationists” church to put our faith in, or whatever. God has worked through many people and many churches and faiths to lead me to where I am today. Although by my study (of which for those who want personal study of words, and their translations and alliterations which are involved, it is out there for the average man, you must simply search. You so don’t have to be a graduate of theology to have an educated opinion on scripture) it is my opinion that the NKJV is the most “honest” of the translations, but that is simply because I have bible dictionaries, copies of the ancient writings of the early church fathers, a connection to hundreds (or more) web sites that all have different opinions, and YouTube preaching and teaching and various books and commentaries and biblegateway, and things like that at my disposal in order to help me form an opinion. HOWEVER, one must do nothing without faith when it comes to God and Christ, and the truth is that only by obeying God’s commands and to strictly adhere to what he tells us to do (which to the Biblican is obvious), which is to love each other and not have foolish controversies, then these truths become self evident. It is good to debate these things, for it can bring a solid faith to some, but we must watch the love we have for each other in order to show the atheists that the Christ Himself and His commands are far more important than the bringer of such things.

I say, if your faith is that the KJV in the only reliable translation, then according to Romans, the rest of us must not infringe on their weakness of faith, but to bring ourselves to unity with them and glorify Christ in the KJV in our dealings with them. But, at others times, when we are with the more mature and better studied, then we can understand that versions are only a ninth of the battle, and the true spiritual battle is in our hearts and our attitudes towards the evil in the lives of ourselves and our neighbors and family. Translation arguments can easily be the tool of the evil one, and we MUST not let it bring harm or disunity. Likewise, those who agree that only the KJV is the inspired word of God, then perhaps it is our faith that is weak, and according to Romans, you must bring yourself to unify with our inability to see your conviction, and work with us on our level, in love and patience. We may not see your side, like politics and finance plans or current ideologies that are about to change our country, Lord willing to the better, but, we can still lovingly tolerate each other’s weakness’ and have that flexibility and freedom that faith allows. Having differing opinions, according to Paul and the Holy Spirit, can bring the truth to the forefront.

God has replaced the Apostles with the cannon, and we must have little faith to believe that God is merciful enough to reveal enough Gospel to us in order for us to achieve the status that Christ died for. Our connection and humble, contrite love for the father, if genuine, must lead you to understand that our unity with Him must be through our living as Christ did, and in that to offer mercy to all. Through this, the “version” battle comes to a halt, and one becomes grateful just to hear that there is a version of the gospel in anybody’s life. There are those little Gideon Bibles that are handed out which God can work through. In the dollar stores there is the KJV, NIV, and NLT which can be bought for a dollar!!!! Praise God!!!! The confusion and frustration that can be brought by one version may be overcome by another version and its way of translating what the real issue is, and that is Christ crucified. Anything that brings a person to faith, baptism, and further obedience in the sacrament, is from Christ. Let the Spirit lead, I say, and watch as God works, and rely not on our own understandings of the way God will bring righteousness to the world.