• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The widening genetic gap

Opethian

Omg get that link of off here. I didn't even read the article but the commercials told me all I needed to know... another creationist deception site :tsk:

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Its true, the gap is getting wider. That's because the more we understand genetics, the better we can locate and document slight differences in DNA.

I doubt the gap will ever go down below 95% though.

As an aside, i don't know if the adverts are always the same on that site, but the one i saw suggested that fossils disprove evolution, since we have fossils of centipedes etc from millions of years ago, and still have centipedes today. Thus animals don't change.

What they don't say though is that some of those fossilised centipedes are as long as a bus and could have crushed a man to death in life. Don't see too many of them around today though do ya?

Smoke

Done here.
Great, a Muslim AiG. I guess it was just a matter of time. :rolleyes:

The titles of his books, Darwinism Refuted, New Research Demolishes Evolution, The Religion of Darwinism, etc., tell me all I need to know about Harun Yahya. No thanks.

alexander garcia

Hi, I would ask of anyone that believes in as Darwin it's so called inventor, but do any of you think that African' are less then human? Also what of the Irish cause Darwin did not think much of them either.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
alexander garcia said:
Hi, I would ask of anyone that believes in as Darwin it's so called inventor, but do any of you think that African' are less then human? Also what of the Irish cause Darwin did not think much of them either.
Evolution isn't a religion Alexander, we don't follow the personal beliefs of the creator of a theory.
Science is about observation, testing hypotheses and the finding of significant patterns from which a working theory can be established - a theory which can be changed or abandoned if new and contrary data is presented.

Its not about blind faith or personal prejudices.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Halcyon said:
Its true, the gap is getting wider. That's because the more we understand genetics, the better we can locate and document slight differences in DNA.

I doubt the gap will ever go down below 95% though.

Neither do I. If I remember correctly, my anthropology professor once said we are 50% genetically similar to an apple. I didn't see apples the same after that.:D

Halcyon said:
As an aside, i don't know if the adverts are always the same on that site, but the one i saw suggested that fossils disprove evolution, since we have fossils of centipedes etc from millions of years ago, and still have centipedes today. Thus animals don't change.

What they don't say though is that some of those fossilised centipedes are as long as a bus and could have crushed a man to death in life. Don't see too many of them around today though do ya?

They have a fossilised centipede as long as a bus? :eek:

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Victor said:
They have a fossilised centipede as long as a bus? :eek:
Indeed, and dragonflies as big as eagles.

This is because these insects lived when the Earth had a much higher level of atmospheric oxygen. At our current level of oxygen, insects cannot grow as large because of the way they breathe.

(Although i'm not saying that if you stick a fly in pure oxygen it would grow to the size of your fist. When the oxygen levels started to drop in the past, the larger insects couldn't survive - only the smaller ones, natural selection.)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
An animal with an exoskeleton cannot grow very large and still support its own weight. There are no bus sized centipedes.

finalfrogo

Halcyon said:
Indeed, and dragonflies as big as eagles.

This is because these insects lived when the Earth had a much higher level of atmospheric oxygen. At our current level of oxygen, insects cannot grow as large because of the way they breathe.

(Although i'm not saying that if you stick a fly in pure oxygen it would grow to the size of your fist. When the oxygen levels started to drop in the past, the larger insects couldn't survive - only the smaller ones, natural selection.)
That's frickin amazing! Where did you learn this information? I want to check it out.

Endless

Yeah check out this huge shark that they called Megalodon! Makes Jaws look like a goldfish :)
Megalodon%20Jaw.JPG

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Indeed, there were some very large insects at one time, and a higher oxygen concentration would have supported a slightly higher metabolic rate and better tissue perfusion in a spiracle-breather.
Still, the basic principles of engineering preclude really huge, 1950s sci-fi movie type insects. Even in the weightless environment of the sea arthropods do not grow really large.

The strength of a supporting structure does not increase in proportion to its size. A two cm diameter rod is not twice as strong as a one cm rod. A two meter long ant, with the same proportions as a two mm ant, would collapse into a crumpled heap.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Seyorni said:
Indeed, there were some very large insects at one time, and a higher oxygen concentration would have supported a slightly higher metabolic rate and better tissue perfusion in a spiracle-breather.
Still, the basic principles of engineering preclude really huge, 1950s sci-fi movie type insects. Even in the weightless environment of the sea arthropods do not grow really large.
Well, a 9 foot sea scorpian is pretty big. And we still have the horseshoe crab which is dinner plate sized.

Seyorni said:
The strength of a supporting structure does not increase in proportion to its size. A two cm diameter rod is not twice as strong as a one cm rod. A two meter long ant, with the same proportions as a two mm ant, would collapse into a crumpled heap.
I'm not sure what you say holds true. Think of a tree, the structure of a twig is almost exactly the same as that of the trunk, yet the trunk is stronger than a twig.

Plus, look at your average spider today - its got about 5mm-1cm body length. Yet in the Carboniferous we had spiders the size of cats.