• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The wisest man in the world is the one who realizes he knows nothing.

In the interest of prudence, is it better to withhold belief in anything until it can be supported?

• Yes

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • No

Votes: 11 45.8%

• Total voters

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Absolute: energy cannot be created or destroyed.

You keep indirectly saying that absolutes are "needed," and then say they aren't.

All you're saying is that "energy cannot be created or destroyed in a closed system but it can be outside of that system." Then you say "wishful thinking" to the very thing you're indirectly proactive for. Even then, closed systems have "absolutes."
I understand now.
You are not talking about absolute absolutes, but conditional absolutes....

How silly of me.

allfoak

Alchemist
Truth is our birthright.
It is not corruptible.

That is about as absolute as it gets.
A wise man claims to know nothing other than if you seek the truth it will be found.

Unification

Truth is our birthright.
It is not corruptible.

That is about as absolute as it gets.
A wise man claims to know nothing other than if you seek the truth it will be found.

A wise man knows themselves, seeks the truth about their inner environment/universe/nature. Then realizes, it's the same as the outer universe.

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
Doubts are reasonable and should be encouraged so to avoid blind faith. For all we currently know, the first cause could have been completely material.
You will not find that answer in science, as that seems to be what you're pointing at. There is no conflict in beliving science and God. Science has it method, but it cannot answer questions like this. All they explain is the physical presence of God. They don't show the depth and never will.
Faith in God is not blind, it is from God, the grace of God. There is no faith in knowledge. Blind faith is believing that matter can assemble itself unaided.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
You will not find that answer in science, as that seems to be what you're pointing at. There is no conflict in beliving science and God. Science has it method, but it cannot answer questions like this. All they explain is the physical presence of God. They don't show the depth and never will.
Faith in God is not blind, it is from God, the grace of God. There is no faith in knowledge. Blind faith is believing that matter can assemble itself unaided.
Where did "science" come from? I was speaking to religious beliefs about the nature of reality and God. It is always healthy to have doubts in these areas, as it protects one from gullibility and also acts to strengthen one's faith, imho.

atanu

Premium Member
Until an alternative backed up with verifiable/independent evidence can be found, the ToE is indisputable. Attempting to poke holes in the theory doesn't really do any good unless you have an alternative theory that is supported better by the available evidence.

First. The thread title is "The wisest man in the world is the one who realizes he knows nothing". I do not see that the thread has anything to do with this deep spiritual knowledge. In my understanding, it is the description of Heart Sutra. It is the description of Yoga - union with the non dual whole. In 'samadhi' there is nothing to know about. There is nothing except awareness. I do not know why you titled the thread the way you did.

Second. I am a geoscientist who knows and has directly seen the
paleontological, palynological, and geochemical evidences that indicate increasing diversity and complexity of forms of living organisms through geological ages. I do not think that many fundamentalist so-called science lovers here have such direct experience of TOE. The point is that I have no need to poke holes in TOE -- I am a propagator of this knowledge. But, TOE is about evolution of life forms. It is not about origin of life. Some so-called scientists extrapolate TOE to generation of 'conscious living beings' without any evidence. And some fundamentalist so-called science lovers offer these hypotheses as proof against spiritual wisdom in blanket fashion. TOE does in no fashion contradict the knowledge of Vedas and Upanishads, wisdom of which operate in a different scope.

For example, in science too, Newton's
laws are correct within a scope. TOE is applicable within its own scope. Upanishadic knowledge is applicable in a different scope and serves a different purpose. I operate as a scientist within a limited scope but I am also a meditator who believes (not without reason) that attaining the experience and knowledge of objectless existence, which is the subject of 'Heart Sutra' and similar other scripture is the summit. Similar are many other layers of spiritual and religious knowledge, which serve as positive purpose in lives of many.

Some so-called scientists and so-called philosophers tag anything and everything spiritual as mere belief. They simply do not know, not because they are illiterate but because they have never experienced any other form of concsiousness other than the bodily waking state consciousness. And there lies the contradiction.

Not sure why you quoted the third comment, as it was in response to someone claiming that scientific discoveries had not done any good in the treatment of cancer. It IS actually indisputable that science has made monumental impacts in the treatment of cancer.

I think you understand why.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
Upanishadic knowledge is applicable in a different scope

One of those is mythology.

Many Christian creationist who are scientist also make the exact same claims you do.

We know they perverting scientific context to meet their mythological needs, and they hold no credibility.

You have not shown anything that substantiates a word you stated.

. Some so-called scientists extrapolate TOE to generation of 'conscious living beings' without any evidence.

Excuse me.

This is not substantiated. To date, the conscious mind exist only in the brain, and there is plenty of evidence.

This is a typical example of what happens when science meets preconceived conclusions. Its all rhetoric.

Unification

Many Christian creationist who are scientist also make the exact same claims you do.

We know they perverting scientific context to meet their mythological needs, and they hold no credibility.

You have not shown anything that substantiates a word you stated.

Excuse me.

This is not substantiated. To date, the conscious mind exist only in the brain, and there is plenty of evidence.

This is a typical example of what happens when science meets preconceived conclusions. Its all rhetoric.

The gut has 100 million brain cells, and the heart has plenty of neurons.

I can't wait for the day scientists finally wake up and realizes consciousness is in the blood and in energy.

They are on the right track, albeit turtle speed.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/blood-exerts-powerful-influence-brain

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
Excuse me.... To date, the conscious mind exist only in the brain, and there is plenty of evidence.

I admire your confidence. You are so certain that your view is 100 % correct and all other views are unfounded faith or or are rhetoric. Your certainty and the thread title "The wisest man in the world is the one who realizes he knows nothing", make a nice black and white film.

Ha.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I answered "no" to the poll, because prudence has no place in the picture except where it is a consequence. Frankly, if you make it about prudence you're doing it wrong.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
First. The thread title is "The wisest man in the world is the one who realizes he knows nothing". I do not see that the thread has anything to do with this deep spiritual knowledge. In my understanding, it is the description of Heart Sutra. It is the description of Yoga - union with the non dual whole. In 'samadhi' there is nothing to know about. There is nothing except awareness. I do not know why you titled the thread the way you did.

Second. I am a geoscientist who knows and has directly seen the
paleontological, palynological, and geochemical evidences that indicate increasing diversity and complexity of forms of living organisms through geological ages. I do not think that many fundamentalist so-called science lovers here have such direct experience of TOE. The point is that I have no need to poke holes in TOE -- I am a propagator of this knowledge. But, TOE is about evolution of life forms. It is not about origin of life. Some so-called scientists extrapolate TOE to generation of 'conscious living beings' without any evidence. And some fundamentalist so-called science lovers offer these hypotheses as proof against spiritual wisdom in blanket fashion. TOE does in no fashion contradict the knowledge of Vedas and Upanishads, wisdom of which operate in a different scope.

For example, in science too, Newton's
laws are correct within a scope. TOE is applicable within its own scope. Upanishadic knowledge is applicable in a different scope and serves a different purpose. I operate as a scientist within a limited scope but I am also a meditator who believes (not without reason) that attaining the experience and knowledge of objectless existence, which is the subject of 'Heart Sutra' and similar other scripture is the summit. Similar are many other layers of spiritual and religious knowledge, which serve as positive purpose in lives of many.

Some so-called scientists and so-called philosophers tag anything and everything spiritual as mere belief. They simply do not know. And there lies the contradiction.

I think you understand why.
Why do you have a problem with the title? It is merely pointing out that uncertainty is the only certainty we have.

Unification

Why do you have a problem with the title? It is merely pointing out that uncertainty is the only certainty we have.

I could be wrong but it seems the emphasis was placed on "realization."

Internal wisdom and awareness and a deep "spiritual" understanding of ones own inner self as opposed to having truckloads of irrelevant exterior knowledge of things.

Personally, I think that the title is fine and there is a line between wisdom and knowledge, but when the scientific evidence and methods come into play after the title, it starts to contradict wisdom and realization.

atanu

Premium Member
Someone here says

I do not have a problem. If you have experienced the truth of "The wisest man in the world is the one who realizes he knows nothing", you are wisest man in the earth.