• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The World of Isms (List/Definitions)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I notice that you changed the wording &
meaning of the 2nd definition.
So the question does not apply to my post.
Atheism: A belief that supreme beings do not exist, have never existed, and have no responsibility for the universe, its inhabitant, or their behavior.

Atheism is broader than that.
A better source...one that comports with how
we atheists use the term in this age...
Definition of atheism | Dictionary.com
Excerpted....
noun
1 the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
2 disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

I was trying to make it simpler. What's the difference between my post and number 1 (specifically)?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You're making this more than it needs to be, sheesh. Do I bring it out in you or something or can't help it?
You changed the 2nd definition instead of asking about
the two in dictionary.com. This is unproductive.
If you want to have a discussion, it's better to ask
questions that address my posts....not a straw man.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You changed the 2nd definition instead of asking about
the two in dictionary.com. This is unproductive.
If you want to have a discussion, it's better to ask
questions that address my posts....not a straw man.

I single out number one for a reason.

Anything else you're adding is irrelevant.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Then you modified the 2nd to be the same.
This is mischievous. If I cooperated with it,
I'd be encouraging it. That would be wrong.

Shrugs. It's been 6 years and you pop up with a comment but then don't like to be questioned on it. If you make comments, don't expect them to stand alone. I can't read minds.

Enai de a lukal

Couple additions/suggestions.

Atheism can be tricky to define. One easy way to define it is simply as the negation as theism: atheism is the view that theism is false. Easy peasy.

I'd also suggest that "non-theism" is better stipulated to be simply the absence of theism, not the "rejection of any belief system incorporating one or more supreme beings" since non-theists are often simply people who never encountered theism. They didn't reject it, they just didn't adopt it either (nor have they suspended judgment, like the agnostic- they simply are unaware of it!)

Maltheism is the position that there exists a deity, but that deity is evil/malevolent

and it might be useful to define

atheistic Satanism: a position that rejects all deities but uses Satan as a literary figure and image/metaphor for liberation, independence, emancipation, etc.

theistic Satanism/devil-worship: the worship of one or more occult entities

Dytheism: Dytheism is the belief that God exists but is not wholly good, or that he might even be evil. The opposite concept is eutheism, the belief that God exists and is wholly good

Misotheism: Is the "hatred of God" or "hatred of the gods"

Ietsism: Ietsism is the belief that there is “something” that exists beyond the material realm, but that “something” remains undefined and unknowable.

Three more "isms."

Also, it's so annoying that people constantly argue over the actual definition of Agnosticism.

Last edited:

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Omnism ---- the belief that no religion is all truth, but some truth is found in all.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Ismism - ismists take the position that isms are accurate descriptions of people's point of view, and convictions.

non-ismists - they feel that isms do not capture people's point of view accurately.

Viker

Häxan
theistic Satanism/devil-worship: the worship of one or more occult entities
I'm formerly both from atheistic and theistic Satanism. What I am currently into what I consider diabolism (dark or forbidden arts, sinister witchcraft, etc. a hobby really) and diabolatry (devil worship, the veneration of dark or forbidden deities/muses). I'm still rooted in Satanism, Luciferianism, Wicca and neopaganism but moving onto something beyond them. (Not better just beyond) Maybe something entirely different.