• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Year 1844

zikr

"Yá Bahá'ul-Abhá!"
There are many prophecies in the Bible alluding to the year 1844 of the Gregorian calendar and 1260 of the Islamic (Lunar) calendar as the appearance of the Promised One. That is what led to such movements as the Millerites, which has since (generally) evolved into the Seventh-Day Adventists.

The uniqueness of 1844 motivated such scholars as Jerome Clarke, a professor at Southern Missionary College, to write three volumes entitled 1844. In 1820, Archibald Mason in Scotland predicted that 1844 would be the year of Christ's return. Charles Meister, a modern Christian author, has recently published a book 1844: Year of the Lord, A.D. Eighteen Forty Four.

So in light of the dedication that people have shown towards that year - as well as the Biblical prophecies themselves foreshadowing the significance of that year - the question I would like to pose is this: What do you believe happened in 1844? Did Christ really return but humanity missed it? Did his Second Coming take place in heaven like the Seventh-Day Adventists believe today? Or were the predictions wrong and nothing actually took place in that year in any realm? Please share your thoughts. :)

zikr

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Lots of dates have been concocted from the Bible, like the age of the Earth for example. Also each generation believes it will be the one to see Christ's return, so I reckon the 1844 date was merely a combination of dodgy prophesy and wishful thinking. Nothing happened in 1844 apart from a lot of people looking silly, IMO.

Popeyesays

Lots of dates have been concocted from the Bible, like the age of the Earth for example. Also each generation believes it will be the one to see Christ's return, so I reckon the 1844 date was merely a combination of dodgy prophesy and wishful thinking. Nothing happened in 1844 apart from a lot of people looking silly, IMO.
The Daniel prophecies concerning the Babylonian captivity and The Time of the Gentiles are fairly straightforward with a major waypoint (the cutting off of the Messiah) to help trace the date. It's internally consistent and exige4tically sound.

The assignment of the year 1260 after the hajira is also exegetically sound, since4 the starting date is obvious and counting to 1000 after the end of the true caliphate is simple.

That the two dates correspond so nicely is also amazing.

Regards,
Scott

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
There are many prophecies in the Bible alluding to the year 1844 of the Gregorian calendar and 1260 of the Islamic (Lunar) calendar as the appearance of the Promised One. That is what led to such movements as the Millerites, which has since (generally) evolved into the Seventh-Day Adventists.
I can't help wondering why all those who try to forecast the date of the Second Coming according to the Bible seem to ignore Matthew 24:36:

But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Popeyesays

I can't help wondering why all those who try to forecast the date of the Second Coming according to the Bible seem to ignore Matthew 24:36:

And Daniel said that the Book would be closed until the time of the end.

That Jesus returned in spirit rather than the flesh is what makes it a test of vigilence.

Regards,
Scott

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
The Daniel prophecies concerning the Babylonian captivity and The Time of the Gentiles are fairly straightforward with a major waypoint (the cutting off of the Messiah) to help trace the date. It's internally consistent and exige4tically sound.

The assignment of the year 1260 after the hajira is also exegetically sound, since4 the starting date is obvious and counting to 1000 after the end of the true caliphate is simple.

That the two dates correspond so nicely is also amazing.

Regards,
Scott
And yet nothing happened.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
THE defining spiritual event of the year 1844 was the transmission of the first electronic communications signal (by Morse code). Message: "What hath God wrought?"

The era of global telecommunications began, bringing changes a billion times more influential than those of any single human prophet or his message. And ushering in a whole new way of being "human" - the dawning of the Age of Information.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
It confused me why you asked this question, now I realise that this thread is just a subtle attempt at Baha'i proselytising.

Please ignore all my previous comments, I'll leave now.
Whoa, wait. What about the prophecy of the dawning of the Age of Information? That's much bigger than Baha'i.

Popeyesays

doppelgänger;1191629 said:
Whoa, wait. What about the prophecy of the dawning of the Age of Information? That's much bigger than Baha'i.

More obvious perhaps, but when one points out the fact that The Bab's announcement took place the same day. I'm not quite sure how many hours, since I don't the time of Morse's demonstration off-hand What are there four hours or five hours in difference for time zones between Shiraz to the east of Morse's time zone which was Washington D.C. time.

Without the evidence of world communication a claim to be a world Prophet is kind of empty.

This makes three coincidences all in the same twenty-four period.

I did not look into all this til I'd been a Baha`i, so it is not WHY became a Baha`i, but I do find it intriguing,

Regards,
Scott

idea

Question Everything
Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum were killed in cold blood on June 27, 1844. link
This meant that Joseph's mission was fullfilled, he had completed all that God required him to do.

"Several times during his last days Joseph Smith told the Saints that while he had enjoyed God's safekeeping until his mission was fulfilled, he had now completed all that God required of him and could claim no special protection. Early in his career, the Prophet had recorded that the Lord told him, "Even if they do unto you…as they have done unto me, blessed are ye, for you shall dwell with me in glory" (D&C 6:30). Church leaders then and now have taught that the shedding of these martyrs' innocent blood was necessary to seal their testimony of the latter-day work that they "might be honored and the wicked might be condemned" (D&C 136:39)."

Reactions: FFH

arthra

Baha'i
In the Baha'i view there were actually two historical prophetic movements that dovetailed in the 1844..and these were separated by religion, language and culture..neither knew at the time of the existence of the other in my opinion..

The first was the Millerite movement led by William Miller a self taught Baptist lay preacher and tens of thousand of people in the United States and some in Europe expected the Return of Christ around the year 1844..

The second movement was the Shaykhi movement in Shiah Islam in Persia that expected the Promised One or the Qa'im in the year "60" which to most of them meant the year 1260 AH... which was a thousand years since the disappearance of the Twelfth Imam.

The Babi movement grew out of the Shaykhi movement and focused on the declaration of the Bab which turned out to be May 23, 1844.

The Babis also accepted the Bibles translated into Persian that were offered them by Christian missionaries and some early missionaries in Persia believed the Babis might became Christians as Muslims generally never accepted the Bibles offered them by missionaries before..

In time it became apparent that the Babis and later the Baha'is while accepting the Bible were not going to convert to Christianity.

When Abdul-Baha referred to the Bible and Christianity He also usually referred to the prophecies used by the Millerite movement..exactly how this came about I'm unsure but He pointed out the same Biblical prophecies.. especially when discussing this with Christians many of whom who had become Baha'is later.

The growth in technology around the early nineteenth century was unprecedented in the annals of history and it has continued up to the present time.. this advance in technology has been heralded by the Baha'is as a welcome thing and coincides with the advancement of civilization called for today which is world embracing and uniting the peoples of the earth as never before. Baha'u'llah also refers to it in the Writings and of course it was welcomed by Abdul-Baha as well along with the principle that Science and Religion should be in harmony!

- Art

Last edited:

Jeremy Mason

Matthew 24:27

27For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.

Popeyesays

Matthew 24:27

27For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.

There are lots of references to lightning in the Gospels.

A matter of hours after Samuel B. Morse demonstrated the telegraph publicly in Washington D. C. the Bab made His announcement on May 23rd, 1844.

Morse's demonstration was a verse from the Book of Job: "What hath God wrought!"

Regards,
Scott

arthra

Baha'i
"Lightning" could be I think a prophetic reference to the Telegraph and the beginning on the electronic age.. In the Gospel of Luke 17:24 it's clearer maybe where it says: "For as the lightning that lighteneth out of one (part) of heaven shineth upon the other (part) under heaven.."

and the reference to the coming of the Son of Man from the "East" could be from the east from where the Lord spoke it...i.e., east of the Holy Land, i.e., Iraq, Iran (Persia).

- Art