• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists Only: Who was/is Jesus, in your opinion?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I hate to put "Theists Only", but I really don't need atheists de-railing the thread like they always do. Your thoughts everybody?

I believe Jesus was the first person born without original sin since the time of the first ancestors, Adam and Eve. He was also the promised Messiah. However, I don't think Jesus was God himself. Rather his relationship with God was so full and unbroken that it could be said God lived in him, and acted through him, as it should have been for all people originally.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I don't identify as a theist, because I'm fussy about precise language, but I do believe in God. Is my perspective welcome?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Okay, thanks for sharing. I believe Jesus was God, in the sense that he was an incarnation of God on earth. I don't believe he was the only one. I believe Jesus was the messiah, but not the Jewish messiah. See I think the Jewish idea of the messiah got perverted, they were expecting a king who seeks political conquest, but the true messiah gives life. I also believe Jesus was the Maitreya, the one who completes the dharma, and hence, he completed the teachings of every prophet and good teacher prior to him. Most importantly, I believe Jesus was enlightened, meaning, he knew God is in us, and any one of us can find God.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I believe that Jesus is/was The Son of God, He was a prophet, a teacher(rabbi), and many other things.

Okay, thanks for sharing. I believe Jesus was God, in the sense that he was an incarnation of God on earth. I don't believe he was the only one. I believe Jesus was the messiah, but not the Jewish messiah. See I think the Jewish idea of the messiah got perverted, they were expecting a king who seeks political conquest, but the true messiah gives life. I also believe Jesus was the Maitreya, the one who completes the dharma, and hence, he completed the teachings of every prophet and good teacher prior to him. Most importantly, I believe Jesus was enlightened, meaning, he knew God is in us, and any one of us can find God.

Well, I agree with you, basically. Defining what it means to be an incarnation of God though is a little tricky. But yes, he was the incarnation of God, as all have the potential to be eventually.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Well yes. Do we need to get technical? LOL
I told you I was fussy. :p

From the thread linked in my sig:
Elders:
Those individual rhys ("souls") who have fully Become (evolved/ matured). Guides and teachers for their younger siblings (us). Somewhat akin to the bodhisattvas of some Buddhist sects.

Elders can incarnate to teach important lessons directly; these incarnations are Avatars. Avatar refers specifically to the mortal vessel, whereas Elder incarnate refers to the rhys. The hallmark of Avatars is that their lives illustrate the message they taught. This isn't a definitive trait, but it is a very reliable clue. Examples of Avatars include the Buddha, the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Hitler (not all lessons are pleasant), and Jonathan Larson (the author of the musical RENT).
I believe Jesus was an Avatar. I believe in the Historicity of the Passion (yes, including the Resurrection), but I don't take the details of His recorded life as Gospel truth (forgive the pun). I think the biography has been heavily embroidered, so I don't assume every story actually happened. Some were probably intended as metaphors, others were simply invented to beef up the resumee. I do believe most of them were well within the powers of an Avatar, however, so I don't take a stance either way.

I have a soft spot for Jesus, as I find His story rather ironic. He's simultaneously one of, if not THE, most celebrated Avatars in history, and a spectacular failure (the Jews rejected Him). I have an image in my head of Him sitting up on a cloud, dejectedly watching us and saying "well, THAT didn't work!"

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Historically, Jesus was probably an itinerant Jewish Sage who may or may not have been crucified. Or the mythological character could have been based on several people teaching similar things.

Mythologically, Jesus Christ was an avatar of YHWH.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I believe that Jesus was itinerate apocalyptic preacher. I believe that he was also an illiterate peasant artisan (effectively making him lower than a peasant farmer) who came from a relatively unimportant hamlet (or village) from Galilee.

I believe that the virgin birth, as well as many of the stories of his life are nothing more than myths. However, I do believe that he fulfilled one idea of the Jewish Messiah from the apocalyptic stance. More so, I believe that he preached that an imminent Kingdom of God would replace the Kingdom of Rome, and that was partially the reason why he was crucified. I also believe that he was a disciple of John the Baptist, and later carried on the same general idea.

I do believe that he was crucified; however, I think it would be more historically accurate to say that he remained on the cross, was never buried, and most likely was eaten by birds of prey and wild dogs/animals.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I do believe that he was crucified; however, I think it would be more historically accurate to say that he remained on the cross, was never buried, and most likely was eaten by birds of prey and wild dogs/animals.
Why do you think He wasn't buried?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Why do you think He wasn't buried?
Mainly because the common practice was to not allow a burial. The Crucifixion was suppose to humiliate the person completely. Doing so, they would allow the body to remain while wild animals devoured them, adding to the humiliation.

no-body

He was a Rabi/Philosopher/Bodhisattva whom preached the gospel of Judaism as he understood it. His teachings mainly because of Paul got turned into a religion based on idol worship and cult of personality.

Jesus was also prone to fits of madness:

13And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet.

14And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And his disciples heard it.

Zadok

Zadok
Jesus is the “keeper” of the way to the tree of life. He is the one prophesied in Genesis to keep the way with the symbols of fire and sword (see Revelation 19:12-15). He is the one appointed to be at the right hand of the Father where he is the mediator and advocate for the fallen souls of man. He is the one that has “purchased” all sins so that believing on him removes all cause to hate others because of their trespasses against us. He is the example of G-d and the means by which we become like G-d.

Zadok

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Jesus may or may not have existed, but either way, his influence is what's more important than that debate. I believe that he was a man who said good things. That's about it.

dogsgod

Jesus of Nazareth did not exist as an historical figure, Jesus of early Christianity was the personification of an ideal savior to whom a number of stories were later attached.

dogsgod

I hate to put "Theists Only", but I really don't need atheists de-railing the thread like they always do. Your thoughts everybody?
It's not atheists that derail your threads, it's both non-believers and believers of an historical Jesus that derail your thread by debating the historical question. It takes both to tango. Do you always single out and blame black people, or women, or homosexuals when disagreements arise?

Last edited:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Jesus of Nazareth did not exist as an historical figure, Jesus of early Christianity was the personification of an ideal savior to whom a number of stories were later attached.
I believe this is what Yosef was speaking about. Nearly every, if not every, discussion about Jesus results in someone making this baseless claim. Especially in this particular thread, the statement you made adds nothing to the discussion.