• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists: Why does God ignore me?

wayward_teen

Beautiful Disaster
Here's some introduction, because this is my first post.
My name is Ethan. I'm 16 years old. I'm an ex-mormon, avid Harry Potter fan, and INFP. I enjoy eating Swiss chocolate, listening to pop instrumentals, messing around in Photoshop, and watching rain showers.
I left the LDS church after 2+ years of praying about whether the Book of Mormon was true and receiving no answer. My parents are taking it pretty hard, but that's not the point. I have other family members who have left the church before.
I keep asking God, "So what church DO I go to?". No answer. I just feel the emptiness of no response. I can't help but question why. I've been so devout, trying to hard to live the universal laws that all religions share--love one another, etc. But again and again, I get nothing.
My question for theists is this: why is God ignoring me like this? The only theistic answer I've found is in Deism, and honestly the idea that God doesn't get involved with humans kind of seems to defeat the purpose of a God to me.

WTF?! All I want is an answer. If I can't find one, I'll just have to be an atheist, which kind of depresses me. What am I doing wrong?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
My name is Ethan. I'm 16 years old. I'm an ex-mormon, avid Harry Potter fan, and INFP. I enjoy eating Swiss chocolate, listening to pop instrumentals, messing around in Photoshop, and watching rain showers.
I left the LDS church after 2+ years of praying about whether the Book of Mormon was true and receiving no answer. My parents are taking it pretty hard, but that's not the point. I have other family members who have left the church before.
I keep asking God, "So what church DO I go to?". No answer. I just feel the emptiness of no response. I can't help but question why. I've been so devout, trying to hard to live the universal laws that all religions share--love one another, etc. But again and again, I get nothing.
My question for theists is this: why is God ignoring me like this? The only theistic answer I've found is in Deism, and honestly the idea that God doesn't get involved with humans kind of seems to defeat the purpose of a God to me.

WTF?! All I want is an answer. If I can't find one, I'll just have to be an atheist, which kind of depresses me. What am I doing wrong?

Maybe you're asking the wrong question: I mean, maybe you aren't supposed to join any church.

If that's what's up then silence would be a workable answer.

wayward_teen

Beautiful Disaster
Maybe you're asking the wrong question: I mean, maybe you aren't supposed to join any church.

If that's what's up then silence would be a workable answer.

So, God wants me to have a spiritual journey? I've never really thought about it from that angle. I guess it always seemed like God must be the head of one true religion.

I suppose it's reasonable to suspect that God may have created people but not introduced religion.

Hooray, I guess I'm an agnostic now. Sigh.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Possibly it could be because those are your choices - and that God values one's ability to discern and decide, as opposed to giving people an answer and then them being stuck it. For example, if God told you "You could be in the LDS church" - what happens if you don't enjoy it? Do you stay in a church that brings you unhappiness, or would you go against what God has suggested/ordered?

There are countless to one Destination, so don't forget to look at these different roads to see which one is more for you - if any are.

Everything is a journey, and seeking is no exception. Seeking is probably one of the toughest, most difficult ones - but you can get there. I know, because I was one. :)

wayward_teen

Beautiful Disaster
Possibly it could be because those are your choices - and that God values one's ability to discern and decide, as opposed to giving people an answer and then them being stuck it. For example, if God told you "You could be in the LDS church" - what happens if you don't enjoy it? Do you stay in a church that brings you unhappiness, or would you go against what God has suggested/ordered?

There are countless paths to one Destination, so don't forget to look at these different roads to see which one is more for you - if any are.

Everything is a journey, and seeking is no exception. Seeking is probably one of the toughest, most difficult ones - but you can get there. I know, because I was one. :)

I guess if God told me to do something that wasn't right for me, then I wouldn't want to worship that God. I want to be the best possible person I can, and I can't do that within the LDS church.

I think I can believe that. But how do I know which path is right for me? Isn't that where God comes in?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
So, God wants me to have a spiritual journey? I've never really thought about it from that angle. I guess it always seemed like God must be the head of one true religion.

I suppose it's reasonable to suspect that God may have created people but not introduced religion.

Hooray, I guess I'm an agnostic now. Sigh.

You can be a theist without identifying with any established religion.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, but that doesn't answer the question of moral conduct. Am I just supposed to figure it out myself? That would be tough. But, I guess, a good lesson.

Well, "Do unto others..." shows up in just about every religion at some point, and it probably isn't a bad basic philosophy for anybody.

wayward_teen

Beautiful Disaster
Well, "Do unto others..." shows up in just about every religion at some point, and it probably isn't a bad basic philosophy for anybody.

"Be excellent to each other."

So, if God doesn't pose any specific commandments and lets us choose our own path and commandments, then wouldn't a "good atheist" and a "good theist" both have to be rewarded for their works after death? (assuming, of course, that God had posed reward and punishment)

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
So, if God doesn't pose any specific commandments and lets us choose our own path and commandments, then wouldn't a "good atheist" and a "good theist" both have to be rewarded for their works after death? (assuming, of course, that God had posed reward and punishment)

Probably, but that's just my opinion.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I think I can believe that. But how do I know which path is right for me? Isn't that where God comes in?

Simply, which one rings most true to you, which one has that effect in the deepest regions of your soul? Here's an idea: if you feel you should be in X religion because you may be punished, then X religion is probably not for you. If however, same religion appeals to you most because you find (most) of its theology to be beautiful and speaks to your Self, then it could well be.

Find your beliefs, read many different types scriptures*, get an idea of the various religions' philosophies, pray and meditate, and be patient.

You will know in time - no sooner than you are ready, and no later. It could be a month, a year, or even three years - but you will get an idea after a month or two.

If you would like a good idea of where to begin looking, you can try the Belief-O-Matic quiz (linked here). It's not perfect, it has some faults, and some questions are a bit useless--but it's a good idea of which ones are probably not your thing. If you are willing to share your results, we can help point you in the right direction.

*Do not stop at just the Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price - continue reading many others: the Bhagavad Gītā, the Gurū Granth Sāhib, the Vedas, The Tao Te Ching, and many others. The more you have read, the sooner you will know which one speaks to you.

Also, I know this wasn't aimed at me, but I thought I would answer as well. :)

I personally do not believe God rejects anyone for lack of belief. I think it is actions that matter. I follow the Hindu style of thought that there are several ways to reach God: through selfless service (karma yoga), through knowledge and wisdom (jñāna yoga), through sincere love and worship (bhakti yoga), and through mediation and personal cultivation (dhyāna yoga).

Hope this helps. Don't give up hope. :)

Last edited:

wayward_teen

Beautiful Disaster
Simply, which one rings most true to you, which one has that effect in the deepest regions of your soul? Here's an idea: if you feel you should be in X religion because you may be punished, then X religion is probably not for you. If however, same religion appeals to you most because you find (most) of its theology to be beautiful and speaks to your Self, then it could well be.

Find your beliefs, read many different types scriptures*, get an idea of the various religions' philosophies, pray and meditate, and be patient.

You will know in time - no sooner than you are ready, and no later. It could be a month, a year, or even three years - but you will get an idea after a month or two.

*Do not stop at just the Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price - continue reading many others: the Bhagavad Gītā, the Gurū Granth Sāhib, the Vedas, The Tao Te Ching, and many others. The more you have read, the sooner you will know which one speaks to you.

Also, I know this wasn't aimed at me, but I thought I would answer as well. :)

I personally do not believe God rejects anyone for lack of belief. I think it is actions that matter. I follow the Hindu style of thought that there are several ways to reach God: through selfless service (karma yoga), through knowledge and wisdom (jñāna yoga), through sincere love and worship (bhakti yoga), and through mediation and personal cultivation (dhyāna yoga).

Hope this helps. Don't give up hope. :)
Thank you so much! :)

I am reading the Tao Te Ching right now. With definitely look into the others.

earlwooters

Why do you want God to answer you? Do you want to know something about God? The Tao Te Ching is a collection of poems, not a religion. It contains no God. Deism, with an emphasis on the philosophy of Jesus was the belief of Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, and John Adams. By what you have said of your past, you have been taught to believe in many things that are very hard to believe in. Read the Jefferson Bible and The Life Of Saint Issa. No gimmicks, no nonsense, just the facts.

Acim

Revelation all the time

A few questions I would have for you, with regards to idea of feeling ignored.

How long are you allowing response to come to you?
Are you, at any point of the day, feeling like there is more to your question, more to the response you desire? This can be tricky to discern, but you would understand what I am getting at if it has come to you in your experience?
Do you feel like there have been, even maybe, signs given to you in world around you? Like flipping channels on TV (for instance) and suddenly stop on documentary of (for example) "How the Amish settled in America." That would be fairly subtle sign, but am curious if you think any of that has occurred?

With regards to what I hear you asking, and my experience with communicating with Divine, it is generally easier to get direct response, or even 'general feeling' if you express what you desire. Be honest, and realize that to some degree, even before you have asked, the answer is given. Thus, be really really honest. Not what you think God wants you to say, but what you truly desire in a church. Feel free to "make it up" as if it is a church completely of your choosing. See if you can picture it, or describe it in words. That sort of thing. Then exercise prayer in such a way to ask if God can bring any or all of that church to you? Perhaps asking, is this even possible? Or is there something more you would have me consider? Those added questions may not be necessary, but if dialogue of sorts is desired in response, I think it could help.

Once you are clear on your honest desires for 'attending Church to find God,' I think God will deliver. Might take up to 30 days, but I think signs for it, could be seen as soon as 3 days. If you do get feeling or sense of direct dialogue, then you'll have own Counsel, and I trust you'll be able to go from there.

Hope this helps.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

sometimes God answers us in unexpected ways.

Ever heard the story of the sailor lost at sea who prayed and prayed for God to rescue him? Many Boats kept sailing by offering to pick him up, but he would refuse and say 'its Ok, I've asked for God to help me, Im waiting for him"
Eventually the sailors boat sinks and he drowns and dies. When he enters heaven, he asks God "Why didnt you save me?" and God replies "I kept sending you boats but you kept refusing to get on board"

The moral is that sometimes the answer is right in front of us, but we ignore it because its not the answer we want. :)

What have you personally done to find out about God? And what do you know about him? Do you know and use his name? Do you know his purpose for you? Do you know what he expects of you? Do you know how to please him? Do you know what you need to do to be heard by God? Have you really put your trust in him? Have you looked into his word the Bible and attempted to apply its counsel? Do you know what Gods counsel is?

The onus is in us.

Maratreanism

Maratrean Protoprophet
Hi Ethan... Has it occurred to you how similar your own story is to Joseph Smith's? Something in him, felt the need for God or something, but no church he could find offfered it to him. In the end he started his own church. Maybe that is what God wants you to do - not join any of the existing churches, but found a new one?

Is there specific things about LDS church teaching or practices that put you off? Were there particular things you liked? Take what suits you and throw away the rest.

I myself went through a similar journey to Joseph Smith, and I felt God calling me to found a new religion, Maratreanism. I feel that is the right answer for me. But as to you, you need to find the right answer for yourself.

Peace
Zack

wayward_teen

Beautiful Disaster
A few questions I would have for you, with regards to idea of feeling ignored.

How long are you allowing response to come to you?
Are you, at any point of the day, feeling like there is more to your question, more to the response you desire? This can be tricky to discern, but you would understand what I am getting at if it has come to you in your experience?
Do you feel like there have been, even maybe, signs given to you in world around you? Like flipping channels on TV (for instance) and suddenly stop on documentary of (for example) "How the Amish settled in America." That would be fairly subtle sign, but am curious if you think any of that has occurred?

With regards to what I hear you asking, and my experience with communicating with Divine, it is generally easier to get direct response, or even 'general feeling' if you express what you desire. Be honest, and realize that to some degree, even before you have asked, the answer is given. Thus, be really really honest. Not what you think God wants you to say, but what you truly desire in a church. Feel free to "make it up" as if it is a church completely of your choosing. See if you can picture it, or describe it in words. That sort of thing. Then exercise prayer in such a way to ask if God can bring any or all of that church to you? Perhaps asking, is this even possible? Or is there something more you would have me consider? Those added questions may not be necessary, but if dialogue of sorts is desired in response, I think it could help.

Once you are clear on your honest desires for 'attending Church to find God,' I think God will deliver. Might take up to 30 days, but I think signs for it, could be seen as soon as 3 days. If you do get feeling or sense of direct dialogue, then you'll have own Counsel, and I trust you'll be able to go from there.

Hope this helps.

1) I've been praying solid for two years about it. I've tried praying to every major God in the book, including just to a/the God in general.

2) No. I just want to know where the truth is. Nothing else.

3) I highly doubt it. I don't have TV. I felt good when I was reading a reform judaism website, but it was for ex-mormons. So, yeah. Self explanatory.

wayward_teen

Beautiful Disaster
Hi Ethan... Has it occurred to you how similar your own story is to Joseph Smith's? Something in him, felt the need for God or something, but no church he could find offfered it to him. In the end he started his own church. Maybe that is what God wants you to do - not join any of the existing churches, but found a new one?

Is there specific things about LDS church teaching or practices that put you off? Were there particular things you liked? Take what suits you and throw away the rest.

I myself went through a similar journey to Joseph Smith, and I felt God calling me to found a new religion, Maratreanism. I feel that is the right answer for me. But as to you, you need to find the right answer for yourself.

Peace
Zack

I hope not! I DO NOT want to found a new religion. That's the last thing I need right now in my life.